RE: [BPQ32] BPQ32 APRS & Wx Station

  • Bill Erhardt
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012

      Hi Jerry,

      Yep, I am relaxed.  I was just making a point that with APRS you can also get some small winlink messages done with APRS Link.  It is totally separate from BPQ32 winlink.

      Cheers Bill

    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012

        I was referring to the post about putting the wrong data on the wrong port.. We should raise awareness.. but I think the way things are configured.. It would not be likely…

        Ill check out APRS link.. Thanks jerry

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
          Hi Rod,
          I run Ambient Virtual Weather Station which generates its own wx data file called wxreport.txt.
          All you need to do is set the path to it in BPQAprs Basic setup..in my case:
          Filename C:\vws\data\wxreport.txt BUT treat this path with caution, as  I am using file moving software to place wxreport.txt  in some additional folders on my system.
          I have been running MB7UEK (An APRS Igate) , using Ui-View for some years and have found that
          data loss seems to occur when I run BPQ32 and Ui-View simultaneously and read the Wx data from the same file location. (It may be a quirk of my LAN as VWS is not running on the same pc as BPQ32 and Ui-View.) It is an issue that I am still trying to resolve.
          I have also used other WX software packages, most of which can be setup to generate an APRS compatible  text file. In most cases there is a check box to tick if the APRS file is required.
          73,
          Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
            Noting Randy's comment:
            That is precisely why there is far greater restriction on what amateurs can do in the UK.
            To run an Igate in  the UK you must have a Notice of Variation to your main licence in order to port internet traffic to RF and vice versa.. The NoV stipulates  the frequency of operation 144.800Mhz for unattended APRS operation, and the permitted erp.
            My station, MB7UEK  can only operate an Igate porting to RF on 144.800MHz, it incidentally raises
            the question as to whether I should use my Class A call, G4MKI on BPQAprs or my Igate call MB7UEK...time will tell.....
            73
            Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
              Hi Duncan & All
              running the Bpqaprs digi under your own call it has to be attended.
              (max unattended time limit away from the home is 30 minutes)over that it has to be closed down.
              using your mb7 call with ssid running unattended as per the terms of your NOV covers you on Bpqaprs (144.800)
              i use MB7UFO for normal Aprs 144.800 & igate,MB7UFO-8 with Bpqaprs
              digi.MB7UFO-QZ is the WHO-RU Aprs Qrz server, MB7UFO-CQ is the Aprs Cqserver.

              73 de Ken g7vja
              sysop mb7ufo & gb7cow

            • n9lya@blueriver.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
                Hi Ken.. In your areas only correct..?
                Rules here in US are not as stringent..

                Please clearify.. 73 jerry n9lya

                > Hi Duncan & All
                > running the Bpqaprs digi under your own call it has to be attended.
                > (max unattended time limit away from the home is 30 minutes)over that it
                > has to be closed down.
                > using your mb7 call with ssid running unattended as per the terms of your
                > NOV covers you on Bpqaprs (144.800)
                > i use MB7UFO for normal Aprs 144.800 & igate,MB7UFO-8 with Bpqaprs
                > digi.MB7UFO-QZ is the WHO-RU Aprs Qrz server, MB7UFO-CQ is the Aprs
                > Cqserver.
                >
                > 73 de Ken g7vja
                > sysop mb7ufo & gb7cow
                >

                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Duncan Bray <g4mki@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Noting Randy's comment:
                >> That is precisely why there is far greater restriction on what amateurs
                >> can do in the UK.
                >> To run an Igate in  the UK you must have a Notice of Variation to your
                >> main licence in order to port internet traffic to RF and vice versa..
                >> The NoV stipulates  the frequency of operation 144.800Mhz for unattended
                >> APRS operation, and the permitted erp.
                >> My station, MB7UEK  can only operate an Igate porting to RF on
                >> 144.800MHz, it incidentally raises
                >> the question as to whether I should use my Class A call, G4MKI on
                >> BPQAprs or my Igate call MB7UEK...time will tell.....
                >> 73
                >> Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK
                >>

                >> ________________________________

              • Duncan Bray
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
                  Thanks Ken,
                  Your clarification is greatly appreciated...

                  73 de Duncan

                  running the Bpqaprs digi under your own call it has to be attended.
                  (max unattended time limit away from the home is 30 minutes)over that it has to be closed down.
                  using your mb7 call with ssid running unattended as per the terms of your NOV covers you on Bpqaprs (144.800)
                  i use MB7UFO for normal Aprs 144.800 & igate,MB7UFO-8 with  Bpqaprs
                  digi.MB7UFO-QZ is the WHO-RU Aprs Qrz server, MB7UFO-CQ is the Aprs Cqserver.

                  73 de Ken g7vja
                  sysop mb7ufo & gb7cow

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Duncan Bray <g4mki@...> wrote:

                  > Noting Randy's comment:
                  > That is precisely why there is far greater restriction on what amateurs can do in the UK.
                  > To run an Igate in  the UK you must have a Notice of Variation to your main licence in order to port internet traffic to RF and vice versa.. The NoV stipulates  the frequency of operation 144.800Mhz for unattended APRS operation, and the permitted erp.
                  > My station, MB7UEK  can only operate an Igate porting to RF on 144.800MHz, it incidentally raises
                  > the question as to whether I should use my Class A call, G4MKI on BPQAprs or my Igate call MB7UEK...time will tell.....
                  > 73
                  > Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • kenneth
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Hi Jerry
                    Here in the UK you can run an Aprs digi under your own callsign which must be attended at all times,apart from the 30 minute rule.
                    to run an unattended Aprs Node\Digi you need an NOV with 2 letters
                    IE: mb7uu (first letter after 7 must start with U).
                    although i think the rules have changes since regarding the U.
                    To run a full blown Aprs Igate & Digi at home,you need an NOV
                    were the MB7 Call uses Three letters after the 7.
                    Remote Digi or Igates same as above but must have three shutdown
                    names & phone numbers within 30 minutes travel time of the Node\igate.
                    written permission to use the site & some sites require you to have insurance)
                    My MB7UFO NOV is 12 years old,some of the rules may have changed since then.
                    These rules apply to all the U.K

                    73 de Ken g7vja

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, n9lya@... wrote:

                    > Hi Ken.. In your areas only correct..?
                    > Rules here in US are not as stringent..
                    >
                    > Please clearify.. 73 jerry n9lya
                    >
                    > > Hi Duncan & All
                    > > running the Bpqaprs digi under your own call it has to be attended.
                    > > (max unattended time limit away from the home is 30 minutes)over that it
                    > > has to be closed down.
                    > > using your mb7 call with ssid running unattended as per the terms of your
                    > > NOV covers you on Bpqaprs (144.800)
                    > > i use MB7UFO for normal Aprs 144.800 & igate,MB7UFO-8 with Bpqaprs
                    > > digi.MB7UFO-QZ is the WHO-RU Aprs Qrz server, MB7UFO-CQ is the Aprs
                    > > Cqserver.
                    > >
                    > > 73 de Ken g7vja
                    > > sysop mb7ufo & gb7cow
                    > >

                    > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Duncan Bray <g4mki@> wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> Noting Randy's comment:
                    > >> That is precisely why there is far greater restriction on what amateurs
                    > >> can do in the UK.
                    > >> To run an Igate in  the UK you must have a Notice of Variation to your
                    > >> main licence in order to port internet traffic to RF and vice versa..
                    > >> The NoV stipulates  the frequency of operation 144.800Mhz for unattended
                    > >> APRS operation, and the permitted erp.
                    > >> My station, MB7UEK  can only operate an Igate porting to RF on
                    > >> 144.800MHz, it incidentally raises
                    > >> the question as to whether I should use my Class A call, G4MKI on
                    > >> BPQAprs or my Igate call MB7UEK...time will tell.....
                    > >> 73
                    > >> Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK

                  • Jerry
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012

                      Thanks ken.. I had a couple private emails from locals asking if it affected them and I knew it did not.. But thought it would be good to post that here.. thanks.. jerry