Re: [BPQ32] BPQ32 APRS & Wx Station

  • Andre
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
      I doubt you will have much to worry about,
      1) APRS works because all the digipeaters are on a single frequentie
      2) if someone was to gate the trafic from aprs to a lap it will reduce by at least 75% but could be as much as 90% because all the duplicates are filtered out.
      3) if nodes change their beacon to an aprs style beacon it will not add to trafic and the rare aprs message is hardly worth mentioning.

      The only thing you might have to worry about is if someone misconfigured an igate and set it to gate everything from internet to rf but their PA will burn down in a few days if they did and I doubt bpqaprs can be set to reverse gate everything.

      You are better off putting energy into sepparating laps from eachother and from the internode trafic, I remember something about there being a dedicated section in the 1.5 meter band specialy for node interlinking.

      73 Andre PE1RDW
      Op 1-2-2012 20:12, K.O. Higgs schreef:
      Yep, I worry about having to deal with that mess too.

      K.O. n0kfq

      On 2/1/2012 12:55 PM, Randy wrote:

      I hope the aprs type messages don't start apearing on the let's say normal packet freq's
      that would destroy a packet node system. with all the beaconing going out.I think would be great if for sure kept on the APRS Freq.
      kf4cmj

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012

        Howdy gang,

        I am planning on checkout Johns APRS Igate  and test my WX Station.   Good to see others out there giving it a try.

        Don’t forget that there is also APRS Link to send Winlink Messages via APRS to the Winlink System.  You and send and receive about 700 characters ( 10 Lines) on APRS and retrieve Winlink messages from the CMS Servers !!!

        Here in Montana we have very little packet activity.  Our APRS system is much more extensive and there are several IGATES/Mountain top Digis out there that will route my Winlink e-mails if we have a localized power, internet, or whatever outage.

        Cheers  Bill K7MT

        Http://www.k7mt.com

        Enjoy life! It does have an expiration date! (Thanks Wendy)

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012

          Relax … It should never happen.. I guess someone could hose up their configuration.. and cause havoc… But let’s hope not…

          If it were to happen we should calmly inform them and ask them to correct it..

          I am not sure there would be a way to program into BPQ a WAY to make it Impossible..

          It’s a lot like all the other things a SYSOP could do wrong, Each Sysop must know what they are doing.. and when something happens or if in doubt they should seek assistance..

          73 jerry

          73 Jerry N9LYA

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012

            Hi Jerry,

            Yep, I am relaxed.  I was just making a point that with APRS you can also get some small winlink messages done with APRS Link.  It is totally separate from BPQ32 winlink.

            Cheers Bill

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012

              I was referring to the post about putting the wrong data on the wrong port.. We should raise awareness.. but I think the way things are configured.. It would not be likely…

              Ill check out APRS link.. Thanks jerry

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                Hi Rod,
                I run Ambient Virtual Weather Station which generates its own wx data file called wxreport.txt.
                All you need to do is set the path to it in BPQAprs Basic setup..in my case:
                Filename C:\vws\data\wxreport.txt BUT treat this path with caution, as  I am using file moving software to place wxreport.txt  in some additional folders on my system.
                I have been running MB7UEK (An APRS Igate) , using Ui-View for some years and have found that
                data loss seems to occur when I run BPQ32 and Ui-View simultaneously and read the Wx data from the same file location. (It may be a quirk of my LAN as VWS is not running on the same pc as BPQ32 and Ui-View.) It is an issue that I am still trying to resolve.
                I have also used other WX software packages, most of which can be setup to generate an APRS compatible  text file. In most cases there is a check box to tick if the APRS file is required.
                73,
                Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK

                Hi all, Has anybody integrated a home weather station with APRS and BPQ32. Or can direct us to a site for further info.
                Regards rod....///

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Duncan Bray
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2012
                  Noting Randy's comment:
                  That is precisely why there is far greater restriction on what amateurs can do in the UK.
                  To run an Igate in  the UK you must have a Notice of Variation to your main licence in order to port internet traffic to RF and vice versa.. The NoV stipulates  the frequency of operation 144.800Mhz for unattended APRS operation, and the permitted erp.
                  My station, MB7UEK  can only operate an Igate porting to RF on 144.800MHz, it incidentally raises
                  the question as to whether I should use my Class A call, G4MKI on BPQAprs or my Igate call MB7UEK...time will tell.....
                  73
                  Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Hi Duncan & All
                    running the Bpqaprs digi under your own call it has to be attended.
                    (max unattended time limit away from the home is 30 minutes)over that it has to be closed down.
                    using your mb7 call with ssid running unattended as per the terms of your NOV covers you on Bpqaprs (144.800)
                    i use MB7UFO for normal Aprs 144.800 & igate,MB7UFO-8 with Bpqaprs
                    digi.MB7UFO-QZ is the WHO-RU Aprs Qrz server, MB7UFO-CQ is the Aprs Cqserver.

                    73 de Ken g7vja
                    sysop mb7ufo & gb7cow

                  • n9lya@blueriver.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
                      Hi Ken.. In your areas only correct..?
                      Rules here in US are not as stringent..

                      Please clearify.. 73 jerry n9lya

                      > Hi Duncan & All
                      > running the Bpqaprs digi under your own call it has to be attended.
                      > (max unattended time limit away from the home is 30 minutes)over that it
                      > has to be closed down.
                      > using your mb7 call with ssid running unattended as per the terms of your
                      > NOV covers you on Bpqaprs (144.800)
                      > i use MB7UFO for normal Aprs 144.800 & igate,MB7UFO-8 with Bpqaprs
                      > digi.MB7UFO-QZ is the WHO-RU Aprs Qrz server, MB7UFO-CQ is the Aprs
                      > Cqserver.
                      >
                      > 73 de Ken g7vja
                      > sysop mb7ufo & gb7cow
                      >

                      > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Duncan Bray <g4mki@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Noting Randy's comment:
                      >> That is precisely why there is far greater restriction on what amateurs
                      >> can do in the UK.
                      >> To run an Igate in  the UK you must have a Notice of Variation to your
                      >> main licence in order to port internet traffic to RF and vice versa..
                      >> The NoV stipulates  the frequency of operation 144.800Mhz for unattended
                      >> APRS operation, and the permitted erp.
                      >> My station, MB7UEK  can only operate an Igate porting to RF on
                      >> 144.800MHz, it incidentally raises
                      >> the question as to whether I should use my Class A call, G4MKI on
                      >> BPQAprs or my Igate call MB7UEK...time will tell.....
                      >> 73
                      >> Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK
                      >>

                      >> ________________________________

                    • Duncan Bray
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
                        Thanks Ken,
                        Your clarification is greatly appreciated...

                        73 de Duncan

                        running the Bpqaprs digi under your own call it has to be attended.
                        (max unattended time limit away from the home is 30 minutes)over that it has to be closed down.
                        using your mb7 call with ssid running unattended as per the terms of your NOV covers you on Bpqaprs (144.800)
                        i use MB7UFO for normal Aprs 144.800 & igate,MB7UFO-8 with  Bpqaprs
                        digi.MB7UFO-QZ is the WHO-RU Aprs Qrz server, MB7UFO-CQ is the Aprs Cqserver.

                        73 de Ken g7vja
                        sysop mb7ufo & gb7cow

                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Duncan Bray <g4mki@...> wrote:

                        > Noting Randy's comment:
                        > That is precisely why there is far greater restriction on what amateurs can do in the UK.
                        > To run an Igate in  the UK you must have a Notice of Variation to your main licence in order to port internet traffic to RF and vice versa.. The NoV stipulates  the frequency of operation 144.800Mhz for unattended APRS operation, and the permitted erp.
                        > My station, MB7UEK  can only operate an Igate porting to RF on 144.800MHz, it incidentally raises
                        > the question as to whether I should use my Class A call, G4MKI on BPQAprs or my Igate call MB7UEK...time will tell.....
                        > 73
                        > Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • kenneth
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012
                          Hi Jerry
                          Here in the UK you can run an Aprs digi under your own callsign which must be attended at all times,apart from the 30 minute rule.
                          to run an unattended Aprs Node\Digi you need an NOV with 2 letters
                          IE: mb7uu (first letter after 7 must start with U).
                          although i think the rules have changes since regarding the U.
                          To run a full blown Aprs Igate & Digi at home,you need an NOV
                          were the MB7 Call uses Three letters after the 7.
                          Remote Digi or Igates same as above but must have three shutdown
                          names & phone numbers within 30 minutes travel time of the Node\igate.
                          written permission to use the site & some sites require you to have insurance)
                          My MB7UFO NOV is 12 years old,some of the rules may have changed since then.
                          These rules apply to all the U.K

                          73 de Ken g7vja

                          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, n9lya@... wrote:

                          > Hi Ken.. In your areas only correct..?
                          > Rules here in US are not as stringent..
                          >
                          > Please clearify.. 73 jerry n9lya
                          >
                          > > Hi Duncan & All
                          > > running the Bpqaprs digi under your own call it has to be attended.
                          > > (max unattended time limit away from the home is 30 minutes)over that it
                          > > has to be closed down.
                          > > using your mb7 call with ssid running unattended as per the terms of your
                          > > NOV covers you on Bpqaprs (144.800)
                          > > i use MB7UFO for normal Aprs 144.800 & igate,MB7UFO-8 with Bpqaprs
                          > > digi.MB7UFO-QZ is the WHO-RU Aprs Qrz server, MB7UFO-CQ is the Aprs
                          > > Cqserver.
                          > >
                          > > 73 de Ken g7vja
                          > > sysop mb7ufo & gb7cow
                          > >

                          > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Duncan Bray <g4mki@> wrote:
                          > >>
                          > >> Noting Randy's comment:
                          > >> That is precisely why there is far greater restriction on what amateurs
                          > >> can do in the UK.
                          > >> To run an Igate in  the UK you must have a Notice of Variation to your
                          > >> main licence in order to port internet traffic to RF and vice versa..
                          > >> The NoV stipulates  the frequency of operation 144.800Mhz for unattended
                          > >> APRS operation, and the permitted erp.
                          > >> My station, MB7UEK  can only operate an Igate porting to RF on
                          > >> 144.800MHz, it incidentally raises
                          > >> the question as to whether I should use my Class A call, G4MKI on
                          > >> BPQAprs or my Igate call MB7UEK...time will tell.....
                          > >> 73
                          > >> Duncan G4MKI/MB7UEK

                        • Jerry
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 2012

                            Thanks ken.. I had a couple private emails from locals asking if it affected them and I knew it did not.. But thought it would be good to post that here.. thanks.. jerry