Re: [BPQ32] Flex-BPQ32 problems

  • Ron Stordahl
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2005
      I have a forthcoming beta release which includes something called
      BPQEther which is intended to link BPQ32 systems to BPQ DOS systems
      using BPQCODE. I don't have this packaged up as yet, because it also
      includes a number of other changes, such as BPQTNC2 supporting real as
      well as virtual com ports, a change to bpqaxip correcting a problem
      occurring with W-XP.

      I should be able to release all this in a few days with some work.

      If I understand it, and really I don't have much understanding of the
      old BPQCODE for DOS, the communications will be by ethernet where you
      will have to use MAC addressing, as distinct from TCP addresses. If I
      am wrong on this I am sure I will hear about it shortly! Can your DOS
      application interface with BPQCODE?

      All I ever did with bpq408a on DOS was serial communications over either
      DRSI cards or com ports. Ethernet on DOS? Never tried it.

      As far as problems maintaining connection using AX/UDP between BPQ32 and
      FlexNet again no idea. I hope someone can help on this. I do know that
      connections between BPQ32 instances using AX/IP and AX/UDP are solid.
      My experience is that they are more robust than TCP connections.

      But your welcome to send ma a fax to 218-681-7901 with a drawing of your
      layout. Or by e-mail to my obvious ARRL address, or post it to the
      files section of this forum.

      Ron N5IN

      Mark Harloff wrote:
      > Hi Ron,
      > I am still trying to sort out problems with linkng BPQ32 to FlexNet.
      > I cannot get an AXIP/UDP link to hold for more than a few minutes.
      > I have tried this on two separate machines, one running ARC/BPQ32 and
      > one running WINFBB32/BPQ32 linked (via the lan) to the FlexNet puter.
      > The results are the same, so it doesn't look like the problem is within
      > the application interface in BPQ32.
      > I can link any of the systems using serial (kiss) ports at each end but,
      > because of the physical distance between the machines here (FlexNet
      > machine is in the basement and BPQ32 machines are upstairs), a serial
      > link is impractical.
      >
      > I can send you a graphic of the physical layout of the network here if
      > that would help?
      >
      > Also, while testing, I found that ARC/BPQ32 will link to a 16 bit switch
      > running on a separate machine (either BPQ16 Or XRouter) fine via a
      > serial link Or AXIP/UDP (over the lan).
      >
      > I am lost as to why BPQ32 on one machine will not link to FlexNet on a
      > separate machine using AXIP/UDP.
      >
      > Do you (or anyone else) have any idea's what could be wrong ?
      > -Mark K2CAN

      > Ham radio
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=ehg1b2E69_ligDQOR2McHg>
      > John wiseman
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=John+wiseman&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=YImh4TNHWal9Dg8Nizymeg>
      > Craft hobby
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=xdqjTua39NcrimKxm8pVcg>
      >
      > Hobby and craft supply
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=3ITu7QOeTQqLmX3p-8NJEw>
      > Icom ham radio
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Icom+ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=RUP7Ssm9TeHIgMCSYOU_Kg>

    • Mark Harloff
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 22, 2005
        Ron Stordahl wrote:
        > I have a forthcoming beta release which includes something called
        > BPQEther which is intended to link BPQ32 systems to BPQ DOS systems
        > using BPQCODE. I don't have this packaged up as yet, because it also
        > includes a number of other changes, such as BPQTNC2 supporting real as
        > well as virtual com ports, a change to bpqaxip correcting a problem
        > occurring with W-XP.
        > I should be able to release all this in a few days with some work.

        Hopefully, John has rev'd up the BPQCODE to handle the interface
        problem(s) on the 32 bit side. I suspect that is where the problem is here.
        Depending on where it runs, BPQEther may solve the link problem here.
        I'm not sure how it will work as an ethernet driver for FlexNet, but I
        am more than willing to 'test' it on that side if that is what John is
        thinking.

        > If I understand it, and really I don't have much understanding of the
        > old BPQCODE for DOS, the communications will be by ethernet where you
        > will have to use MAC addressing, as distinct from TCP addresses. If I
        > am wrong on this I am sure I will hear about it shortly! Can your DOS
        > application interface with BPQCODE?

        The (DOS) FlexNet ethernet driver(s) are pretty rudimentary. The one I
        use here to interface FlexNet to the LAN uses 'static' ip addresses.
        However, it can also use MAC's to limited extent. That may work out ok
        depending on what John does with his driver.
        If John is thinking of directly linking a 16 and 32 pair of 'switches'
        together please add me to the 'beta' tester list!

        > All I ever did with bpq408a on DOS was serial communications over either
        > DRSI cards or com ports. Ethernet on DOS? Never tried it.

        I'm not sure about how BPQ16 handles Ethernet since the only experience
        I have with that is using a modified version used by DOS XRouter (by G8PZT).
        Ethernet via DOS machines work fine. I link my FlexNet Digi (DOS) to
        another FlexNet Digi (DOS) over the Internet using DOS ethernet drivers
        on both ends so, I know the DOS ethernet drivers that FlexNet uses are
        not a problem.
        (The Linksys BEFX41 Router at my end may be though!)

        > As far as problems maintaining connection using AX/UDP between BPQ32 and
        > FlexNet again no idea. I hope someone can help on this. I do know that
        > connections between BPQ32 instances using AX/IP and AX/UDP are solid.
        > My experience is that they are more robust than TCP connections.

        I've had the same experience(s) here too. ALL direct serial links using
        BPQ32 to BPQ32, BPQ32 to BPQ16 and visavie work fine with the exception
        of Ethernet drivers on either end.

        > But your welcome to send ma a fax to 218-681-7901 with a drawing of your
        > layout. Or by e-mail to my obvious ARRL address, or post it to the
        > files section of this forum.
        > Ron N5IN

        I will send them if You or John need them for reference.

        Mark K2CAN