Re: Problems With Telpac

  • abertheaume
    Message 1 of 14 , May 12 6:52 PM
      Clint,
      One suggestion... Are you running AGW along with BPQ? If not, make
      sure the AGW port in Telpac is set to 8001 also. Even if you do
      have AGW running, try changiing the Telpac port regardless and see
      if that makes a difference.
      Art, N9ZZK

      -- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "cprealm" <clint.parrish@...> wrote:

      > I'm having problems connecting to Telpac from my BPQ node. When I
      try
      > to connect, I get "Sorry - All TELPAC ports are in use." TELPAC
      > initializes fine with AGWtoBPQ on port 8001. I have tried some of
      the
      > other suggestions already posted and haven't found a solution. Here
      > is a sample from the application part of my config file:
      >
      > APPLICATIONS=BBS,,*SYS,TELPAC,DX ;
      >
      > APPL4CALL=KC9S-10
      > APPL4ALIAS=TELPAC
      > APPL4QUAL=255
      > APPL5CALL=KC9S-3
      > APPL5ALIAS=DX
      > APPL5QUAL=255
      > ;
      >

      > KC9S-10 is my TELPAC node. My Applmask=0x10. My DX cluster, and
      BBS
      > are running perfectly. I just can't get TELPAC to work. Please
      help.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Clint, KC9S

    • Mark Harloff
      Message 2 of 14 , May 12 7:17 PM
        Art,

        I am confused (as well as Clint may be)..

        Why would a change need to be made from 8000 to any other the UDP port
        for the interface between AGW and BPQ on the same machine..(I assume he
        is running Both applications on the same machine)..?

        Am I missing something here ?

        - Mark

        abertheaume wrote:

        > Clint,
        > One suggestion... Are you running AGW along with BPQ? If not, make
        > sure the AGW port in Telpac is set to 8001 also. Even if you do
        > have AGW running, try changiing the Telpac port regardless and see
        > if that makes a difference.
        > Art, N9ZZK
        >
        > -- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "cprealm"
        > <clint.parrish@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I'm having problems connecting to Telpac from my BPQ node. When I
        > try
        >> to connect, I get "Sorry - All TELPAC ports are in use." TELPAC
        >> initializes fine with AGWtoBPQ on port 8001. I have tried some of
        > the
        >> other suggestions already posted and haven't found a solution. Here
        >> is a sample from the application part of my config file:
        >>
        >> APPLICATIONS=BBS,,*SYS,TELPAC,DX ;
        >>
        >> APPL4CALL=KC9S-10
        >> APPL4ALIAS=TELPAC
        >> APPL4QUAL=255
        >> APPL5CALL=KC9S-3
        >> APPL5ALIAS=DX
        >> APPL5QUAL=255
        >> ;
        >>

        >> KC9S-10 is my TELPAC node. My Applmask=0x10. My DX cluster, and
        > BBS
        >> are running perfectly. I just can't get TELPAC to work. Please
        > help.
        >> Thanks.
        >>
        >> Clint, KC9S
      • Art Bertheaume
        Message 3 of 14 , May 12 8:49 PM
          Mark,
              Clint did not state that he is running AGW along with BPQ and he did state he has AGWtoBPQ on port 8001.  The deffault port on set up for Telpac is 8000.  I didn't assume he was running both applications and it can't hurt to have Telpac pointed to 8001 if that is what AGWtoBPQ is on.  But after more thought,  Clint either changed Telpac to 8001 or he is running AGW also, Otherwise, Telpac would not have initialized to begin with.

          abertheaume wrote:

          > Clint,
          > One suggestion.. . Are you running AGW along with BPQ? If not, make
          > sure the AGW port in Telpac is set to 8001 also. Even if you do
          > have AGW running, try changiing the Telpac port regardless and see
          > if that makes a difference.
          > Art, N9ZZK
          >
          > -- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com <mailto:BPQ32% 40yahoogroups. com>, "cprealm"
          > <clint.parrish@ ...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I'm having problems connecting to Telpac from my BPQ node. When I
          > try
          >> to connect, I get "Sorry - All TELPAC ports are in use." TELPAC
          >> initializes fine with AGWtoBPQ on port 8001. I have tried some of
          > the
          >> other suggestions already posted and haven't found a solution. Here
          >> is a sample from the application part of my config file:
          >>
          >> APPLICATIONS= BBS,,*SYS, TELPAC,DX ;
          >>
          >> APPL4CALL=KC9S- 10
          >> APPL4ALIAS=TELPAC
          >> APPL4QUAL=255
          >> APPL5CALL=KC9S- 3
          >> APPL5ALIAS=DX
          >> APPL5QUAL=255
          >> ;
          >>

          >> KC9S-10 is my TELPAC node. My Applmask=0x10. My DX cluster, and
          > BBS
          >> are running perfectly. I just can't get TELPAC to work. Please
          > help.
          >> Thanks.
          >>
          >> Clint, KC9S

        • cprealm
          Message 4 of 14 , May 13 3:03 PM
            Some additional information...

            I am running AGWPE with AGWtoBPQ because I can't get Winpack to run on
            AGWtoBPQ alone.

            I have tried everyone's suggestions including setting applmask to 0x8
            and rearranging the order of applications in the config file.

            The strange thing is, I can get TELPAC to work when it is set as
            application 5. But the Spider DX cluster, set as application 4, will
            not run. I get the same "Sorry, all DX ports..." message. But when I
            switch the application order, DX will run but not TELPAC.

            Also, TELPAC stops responding through BPQ after a while. It won't let
            me disconnect using the "bye" command. Same with DX Spider.

            Any help would be appreciated.

            Clint

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Art Bertheaume <abertheaume@...> wrote:

            > Mark,
            > Clint did not state that he is running AGW along with BPQ and
            he did state he has AGWtoBPQ on port 8001. The deffault port on set
            up for Telpac is 8000. I didn't assume he was running both
            applications and it can't hurt to have Telpac pointed to 8001 if that
            is what AGWtoBPQ is on. But after more thought, Clint either changed
            Telpac to 8001 or he is running AGW also, Otherwise, Telpac would not
            have initialized to begin with.
            > Mark Harloff <mharloff@...> wrote:
            > Art,
            >
            > I am confused (as well as Clint may be)..
            >
            > Why would a change need to be made from 8000 to any other the UDP port
            > for the interface between AGW and BPQ on the same machine..(I assume he
            > is running Both applications on the same machine)..?
            >
            > Am I missing something here ?
            >
            > - Mark
            >
            > abertheaume wrote:
            > >

            > > Clint,
            > > One suggestion... Are you running AGW along with BPQ? If not, make
            > > sure the AGW port in Telpac is set to 8001 also. Even if you do
            > > have AGW running, try changiing the Telpac port regardless and see
            > > if that makes a difference.
            > > Art, N9ZZK
            > >
            > > -- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>,
            "cprealm"
            > > <clint.parrish@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I'm having problems connecting to Telpac from my BPQ node. When I
            > > try
            > >> to connect, I get "Sorry - All TELPAC ports are in use." TELPAC
            > >> initializes fine with AGWtoBPQ on port 8001. I have tried some of
            > > the
            > >> other suggestions already posted and haven't found a solution. Here
            > >> is a sample from the application part of my config file:
            > >>
            > >> APPLICATIONS=BBS,,*SYS,TELPAC,DX ;
            > >>
            > >> APPL4CALL=KC9S-10
            > >> APPL4ALIAS=TELPAC
            > >> APPL4QUAL=255
            > >> APPL5CALL=KC9S-3
            > >> APPL5ALIAS=DX
            > >> APPL5QUAL=255
            > >> ;
            > >>

            > >> KC9S-10 is my TELPAC node. My Applmask=0x10. My DX cluster, and
            > > BBS
            > >> are running perfectly. I just can't get TELPAC to work. Please
            > > help.
            > >> Thanks.
            > >>
            > >> Clint, KC9S

          • abertheaume
            Message 5 of 14 , May 13 6:44 PM
              Hi Clint,
              Harmen is on the right track with this with his suggestion of
              ApplMask configuration.

              Here, I have a BBS as Appl1 and Telpac as Appl4 and both applications
              are configured to use AGW. Using the guidelines provided in the
              BPQCFG.txt file..
              <snip>

              AGWtoBPQ.exe includes an 'Applications Mask' created from the
              position of
              ; the 'application' in the APPLICATIONS= string. The mask is formed
              from the
              ; sum of the numbers 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128. Thus in this configuraton
              the
              ; applications occupy positions 1 and 4, with associated masks of 1
              and 8,
              ; which added together equal 9. Thus when using the AGWtoBPQ
              interface the
              ; 'Appl Mask' must be entered as 9.
              <end>

              So, I have a BBS as App1 = 1
              I have Telpac as App4 = 8
              -----------------------------
              The sum of the values =9, and therefore, I set my ApplMask to 9
              in the AGWtoBPQ config.

              Now, if you have..

              BBS as App1, value is 1
              Telpac as App4, value is 8
              Dx as App5 value is 16
              ----------------------------
              Sum of values is =25

              This is of course if you have all three applications configured to
              use AGW. If you are not using AGW with your BBS, then subtract 1.
              If your are not using AGW for your DX application, then subtract 16.
              the value of 25 is derived if all three applications are using AGW.

              If I managed to confuse you last night, I am certain I did a better
              job of it tonight!

            • cprealm
              Message 6 of 14 , May 13 7:48 PM
                I got it! My applmask magic hex number in AGWtoBPQ.exe was 19 or
                0x19. I worked backwards from 0x11 which ran my bbs and the fifth
                application. So from my config file:

                APPLICATIONS=BBS,,*.SYS,TELPAC,DX;

                APPL4CALL=KC9S-10
                APPL4ALIAS=TELPAC
                APPL4QUAL=255
                APPL5CALL=KC9S-3
                APPL5ALIAS=DX
                APPL5QUAL=255

                ;

                Because the second and third applications did not need AGW, the HEX
                math is as follows: BBS (HEX=1) - BLANK (HEX=2) - REMOTE (HEX=4) +
                TELPAC (=8) + DX (=16) = 19. 1 - 2 - 4 + 8 + 16 = 19.

                Thanks to everyone but especially Mike for helping me with WinFBB and
                for Art for giving me a quick review of Hexadecimal math since
                college. And Art you weren't confusing. I'll be in touch with the
                two of you shortly. 73 to all and again thanks.

                Clint, KC9S

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "abertheaume" <abertheaume@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > and
                > > he did state he has AGWtoBPQ on port 8001. The deffault port on set
                > > up for Telpac is 8000. I didn't assume he was running both
                > > applications and it can't hurt to have Telpac pointed to 8001 if
                > that
                > > is what AGWtoBPQ is on. But after more thought, Clint either
                > changed
                > > Telpac to 8001 or he is running AGW also, Otherwise, Telpac would
                > not
                > > have initialized to begin with.
                > > > Mark Harloff <mharloff@> wrote:
                > > > Art,
                > > >
                > > > I am confused (as well as Clint may be)..
                > > >
                > > > Why would a change need to be made from 8000 to any other the UDP
                > port
                > > > for the interface between AGW and BPQ on the same machine..(I
                > assume he
                > > > is running Both applications on the same machine)..?

              • Harmen, VE3EMA
                Message 7 of 14 , May 13 7:50 PM

                  Are you using AGW for Spider DX Cluster as well?

                  If I understand the APPLMASK properly, a value of 0x10 means that one application is running in position 5.

                  1 2 4 6 16 32 64

                  16 in HEX = 10    (0x10)

                  If applications 4 and 5 are both utilizing BPQtoAGW.exe, then you would have,

                  1 2 4 6 16 32 64

                  6 + 16 = 22

                  22 in HEX = 16    (0X16)

                  73 Harmen, VE3EMA

> [...]

                  > > try
                  > >> to connect, I get "Sorry - All TELPAC ports are in
                  use." TELPAC
                  > >> initializes fine with AGWtoBPQ on port 8001. I have tried some of
                  > > the
                  > >> other suggestions already posted and haven't found a solution.
                  Here
                  > >> is a sample from the application part of my config file:
                  > >>
                  > >> APPLICATIONS= BBS,,*SYS, TELPAC,DX ;
                  > >>
                  > >> APPL4CALL=KC9S- 10
                  > >> APPL4ALIAS=TELPAC
                  > >> APPL4QUAL=255
                  > >> APPL5CALL=KC9S- 3
                  > >> APPL5ALIAS=DX
                  > >> APPL5QUAL=255
                  > >> ;
                  > >>

                  > >> KC9S-10 is my TELPAC node. My Applmask=0x10. My DX cluster, and
                  > > BBS
                  > >> are running perfectly. I just can't get TELPAC to work. Please

                • Ron Stordahl
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 14 9:05 AM
                    Harmen

                    The application mask, is in hexidecimal, as you have explained it below.  But keep in mind that you only want a '1' in the position in the mask if the interface (AGWtoBPQ) is to an application which interfaces with AGWtoBPQ via TCP.  So for example, if you are running the 32 bit version of FBB and the interface is via a DLL, then you would want a '0' in that position.  If the BBS is the first position, then that mask element would be a 0.  If in the fifth position you are interfacing to Telpac via the AGW interface, then you would have a 1 in that position.  If in position 4 you had something like 'DX/C N5IN' then the interface is to a remote application and the mask element would be a 0.

                    So the key is to write done the mask in binary beginning with the first position.  Now to evaluate the mask you have to reverse the string so that the most significant digits are first.

                    In the example you have given the binary would be 00001.  Reversed this is binary 10000, which is equivalent to 0x10 (i.e. 10 hexadecimal)

                    In your second example, are you sure that application in position 4 is using the AGWtoBPQ TCP interface?  If so, then the 4th would have a value of 8, not 6, the binary mask would be 00011 which when reversed and converted to hex would be 0x18.

                    I do intend to explain the mask fully in a forthcomming version of the beta document....but at the moment I have a major assignment at work which I simply must complete before I return my attention to BPQ.  I thought I would have it out of the way by May 1, but I am still weighed down...perhaps one more week..I hope.

                    Ron, N5IN

                  • Harmen, VE3EMA
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 14 2:18 PM

                      I apologize if I created any confusion with my error in last evening’s Applmask value explanation.

                      I did mean to say;

                      1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64  not  1, 2, 4, 6 ,8 ,16, 32, 64

                      So, if AGWtoBPQ.exe applications occupy positions 4 and 5 in the BPQCFG.txt, APPLICATIONS= line, then using decimal values;

                      Position 4 = 8

                      Position 5 = 16

                      Add them together,

                      8 + 16 = 24 (decimal)

                      24 converted to Hex = 18

                      Watching too many double overtime hockey games....

                      73, Harmen VE3EMA

                    • cprealm
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 14 5:26 PM
                        Thanks to all for your help. Yes, I did have the hex math wrong. I
                        posted my solution last night but apparently it was lost in the mix.

                        73.

                        Clint