BPQ32 and Windows 2000

  • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
      Hi all,

      I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
      Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
      almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
      starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up - regardless
      they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
      JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used FBB)
      there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.

      Misko YT7MPB
    • MIchael Melnik Sr.
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
        Misko YT7MPB

        The problem you are having is with the 16 Bit Version of FBB open
        The task manager you will see the processor usage is probably at
        100% the same will be with 7.00G with 7.00E 32 Bit still runs very high
        Usually about 50% when forwarding takes place usage will run even higher
        I have tried all three but abanded them because of there poor
        preformance, i would recommend switching to WINFBB 7.01-35, i run 7.01
        BPQ32410a-Feb2007, UI VIEW, UI-NWS, Weather Watcher for UI-VIEW
        and FBB BEACON Weather Display, TELPAC, UI-VIEW FCC Server DYNDNS
        Updater and Echo Link all on a 1.1G Celeron 512M Memory Processor
        usage is 6-10%.
        Advantages to 7.01-35 No port mapper is needed (you can use I.P and
        DNS Address), No Protus needed, Easy to install. All files and install
        instructions are in the Files section on the BPQ Users Group, If you
        need any help let me Know.

        Mike Melnik/N9PMO
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)" <skoric@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
        > Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
        > almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
        > starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up -
        regardless
        > they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
        > JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used
        FBB)
        > there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.
        >
        > Misko YT7MPB

      • Art Bertheaume
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
          This is simply not true, at least not for FBB7e.  We have version E running at several locations on several platforms flawlessly and CPU usage is never very great.  On one system,  using Windows XP, we have BPQ, Telpac, APRS FBBe, Ui-NWS, NWSGET, DYNDNS, Echolink, FBBDNS and Fastchat, all running with only 256meg of RAM without problems.  That particular machine has run continuously for three weeks.  FBB uses 7,120k of mem, nothing compared to the 26,000 that Ui-View is using.  and yes, when a forward session first begins, CPU usage climbs a bit but no where near 100% .

          But on to the question at hand...
          Misko,
            I wonder if it may be with the BPQDED set up that is causing FBB to be such a CPU hog.  I had the same thing happen when I used FBB with the PK-232 host mode driver for my HF port.  That in itself made me quit using that driver and move to AGW at the time.  To be truthful, I did not run the BPQDED very long and never really noticed CPU usage with it running.  I will fire that computer up tomorrow and see what happens with it. "It is your statement of "before I started to use BPQ32 (just used FBB) > there was no such behavior"
          that makes me tend to think this way.
          73
          Art,  N9ZZK

          wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
          > Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
          > almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
          > starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up -
          regardless
          > they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
          > JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used
          FBB)
          > there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.
          >
          > Misko YT7MPB

        • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 21, 2007
            Hi all,

            I tried to experiment with an Ethernet link between two computers, one
            Windows 2000 Pro running BPQ32 4.10a and a DOS machine running BPQ
            4.08a. After both BPQ's are started, they seem to stay without problems
            as long as they just idle, exchange their nodes lists, send their
            beacons around etc. But soon after I 'connect' one switch from the
            other, regardless of direction, BPQ32 gets into problems and its Console
            start displaying:

            Error sending the packet:
            Error sending the packet:
            Error sending the packet:
            Error sending the packet:
            etc.

            In the same time it is obvious that the link between two machines is
            dead so Windows 2000 Pro, on which BPQ32 is running, must be re-booted
            in order to start a 'healthy' new session of BPQ32. It makes me wonder
            what might be a problem.

            On the other side, I am interested in establishing (if possible) an AXIP
            link between Windows/BPQ32 4.10a and DOS/BPQ 4.08a, instead of Ethernet
            link. I mean, if I run BPQ32 with an AXIP port it doesn't get into
            similar problem. But I don't know how to setup AXIP in 4.08a. I tried to
            look for setup details but haven't found anything. Is 4.09 better in
            that way?

            Regards,

            Misko YT7MPB
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 22, 2007
              Misko,

              I don't have a copy of Windows 2000, so can't check this out. Perhaps someone else in the group is running the BPQEther driver with W2K and can help. Have you tried monitoring the ethernet link (say using Ethereal) to see what is happening?

              DOS BPQ does not support AXIP.

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 24, 2007
                John Wiseman wrote:

                > I don't have a copy of Windows 2000, so can't check this out. Perhaps
                > someone else in the group is running the BPQEther driver with W2K and can
                > help. Have you tried monitoring the ethernet link (say using Ethereal) to
                > see what is happening?

                No I didn't. Will try one of these days.

                > DOS BPQ does not support AXIP.

                Pity.

                Regards,

                Misko YT7MPB