Re: [BPQ32] JNOS + FBB

  • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 6, 2007
      John Wiseman wrote:

      > What version of FBB are you running? My understanding is there are three
      > versions, with names of wfbb16.exe, wfbb32.exe and winfbb.exe. The first two
      > need a bit of a fiddle to allow FBB to think it is using a wa8ded mode TNC -
      > see the section WA8DED Hostmode/The Firmware in the docs at
      > www.g8bpq.org.uk. If you are running Winfbb.exe v 7.01, there is quite a
      > good guide in the files section of the group "WinFBB 7.01 Setup".

      Hi all,

      I finally managed to make WinFBB 7.00i (16-bit) to accept the existence
      of BPQ32, and I am capable now to forward with DOS JNOS 1.11f machine
      over Ethernet. Thanks to all who helped. I had to implement BPQDED.ZIP
      i.e. TFWIN.DLL methodology here (thanks to suggestion from Art, N9ZZK).

      There are some question to answer:

      1. My actual WinFBB's PORT.SYS is as follows:

      #Ports TNCs
      2 2
      #Com Interface Address Baud
      3 7 189c 115200
      8 8 08FF 115200
      #TNC NbCh Com MultCh Pacln Maxfr NbFwd MxBloc M/P-Fwd Mode Freq
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 00/01 ---- File-fwd.
      1 20 3 0 230 2 20 5 15/30 TGY Telnet
      2 7 8 0 230 2 1 5 15/30 DGY BPQ

      As you can see, I put Com '8' as it has been usual in BPQ for years,
      though I use WA8DED mode on that port. Also, I put 08FF as the address.
      It makes me wonder if those two are ok, or can I play with some other
      values there?

      2. I noticed that if WinFBB starts without BPQ32, it automatically loads
      it. Is it ok to do it that way, or is better to start BPQ with, say, BPQ
      Terminal.exe and after that to start FBB? What's the most common practice?

      3. I noticed that when I close BPQ32 (and all of its active
      applications), there often remains a yellow icon of it in the taskbar.
      It usually disappears when the mouse pointer moves over it, but anyway I
      don't know if it should be there after closing BPQ32 or not.

      4. I need an idea of how to avoid (if possible) a line with 'C SWITCH'
      within the FBB's forwarding block. To be more precise, besides
      WinFBB+BPQ32, I also run LinFBB here and through its AXIP channel I
      directly forward with the callsign of JNOS mailbox - without the need of
      a 'switch'. So, when running LinFBB under Linux, it recognizes 'C
      SWITCH' line as a problem, but WinFBB+BPQ32 needs one, of course. Any
      idea how to solve that? (Note that FBB's common system files are shared
      between two operating systems and are accessed by either WinFBB/LinFBB.)

      Regards,

      Misko YT7MPB
    • abertheaume
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 6, 2007
        Misko,
        I am wondering if you considered setting a port using interface #5,
        TFPCX with FBB. This driver allows connection to another PC with a
        null modem cable. With it perhaps you would not need BPQ to
        accomplish what you are trying to do. I have never used this
        interface but if you read apendix #25 in the FBB help, it appears
        this may be what you are looking to do. Using this method, you may
        not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.
        Art , N9ZZK

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)"
        <skoric@...> wrote:

        > 4. I need an idea of how to avoid (if possible) a line with 'C
        SWITCH'
        > within the FBB's forwarding block. To be more precise, besides
        > WinFBB+BPQ32, I also run LinFBB here and through its AXIP channel I
        > directly forward with the callsign of JNOS mailbox - without the
        need of
        > a 'switch'. So, when running LinFBB under Linux, it recognizes 'C
        > SWITCH' line as a problem, but WinFBB+BPQ32 needs one, of course.
        Any
        > idea how to solve that? (Note that FBB's common system files are
        shared
        > between two operating systems and are accessed by either
        WinFBB/LinFBB.)

        > Regards,
        >
        > Misko YT7MPB

      • MIchael Melnik Sr.
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 6, 2007
          Misko,
          I forward to both JNOS and TNOS stations, i have found the easiest way
          is to forward via the axip UDP network the forwarding block is simple
          no V statement is needed
          My axip port in BPQ is 5
          the BPQ port in FBB is 1
          A BBS Callsign
          P A
          N 2 (FBBC)
          O 2 (Time out in 2 Min)
          J 0 (Send no 7 Plus Data)
          T 30 (Max size of each packet message)
          C C
          C C 5 BBS ALIAS
          B BBS Call sign
          F BBS Call Sign
          H Route Stuff
          G *
          ------
          Two things, the BBS Call or BBS Alias must be sent to your Nodes Table
          on a AXIP UDP Port You must Map his Node in the BPQAXIP.CFG

          NOTE:the Word SWITCH was never needed it was just a reference only
          BPQ know what to do with the C C statement since the Port ID points to
          BPQ. Reguardless what version of FBB you are using You only need one
          BPQ Port for FBB how ever if one wants different Beacons on alternet
          frequencys you would need to allocate more then one BPQ port this can
          only be done in 7.00 series, the 7.01Alpha only allows one BPQ Port
          i have allways felt more then one is unessary, again this is up to
          the user.
          As i understand your message the word SWITCH is the problem i hope
          this solves the problem. To better understand how to connect to
          more then one port in BPQ using FBB please read my Install and Setup
          instuctions for 7.01A in the Files section.
          The use of one Bpq Port in previous versions of FBB is also documented
          in the F6FBB manual, if you need a copy let me know.

          Mike Melnik/N9PMO

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "abertheaume" <abertheaume@...> wrote:

          > Misko,
          > I am wondering if you considered setting a port using interface
          #5,
          > TFPCX with FBB. This driver allows connection to another PC with a
          > null modem cable. With it perhaps you would not need BPQ to
          > accomplish what you are trying to do. I have never used this
          > interface but if you read apendix #25 in the FBB help, it appears
          > this may be what you are looking to do. Using this method, you may
          > not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.
          > Art , N9ZZK
          >
          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)"
          > <skoric@> wrote:
          >

          > > 4. I need an idea of how to avoid (if possible) a line with 'C
          > SWITCH'
          > > within the FBB's forwarding block. To be more precise, besides
          > > WinFBB+BPQ32, I also run LinFBB here and through its AXIP channel
          > > directly forward with the callsign of JNOS mailbox - without the
          > need of
          > > a 'switch'. So, when running LinFBB under Linux, it recognizes 'C
          > > SWITCH' line as a problem, but WinFBB+BPQ32 needs one, of course.
          > Any
          > > idea how to solve that? (Note that FBB's common system files are
          > shared
          > > between two operating systems and are accessed by either
          > WinFBB/LinFBB.)
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Misko YT7MPB

        • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 8, 2007
            abertheaume wrote:

            > I am wondering if you considered setting a port using interface #5,
            > TFPCX with FBB. This driver allows connection to another PC with a
            > null modem cable. With it perhaps you would not need BPQ to
            > accomplish what you are trying to do. I have never used this
            > interface but if you read apendix #25 in the FBB help, it appears
            > this may be what you are looking to do. Using this method, you may
            > not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.
            > Art , N9ZZK

            Hi Art,

            Thanks for suggestion. It would help if it didn't ask for a null modem
            cable (it has to be run over Ethernet). Might be interesting to see if
            somebody is using that interface with network cards.

            Regards,

            Misko YT7MPB
          • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 8, 2007
              MIchael Melnik Sr. wrote:

              > Misko,
              > I forward to both JNOS and TNOS stations, i have found the easiest way
              > is to forward via the axip UDP network the forwarding block is simple
              > no V statement is needed

              Hi Mike,

              I am not sure if I understood you: I don't need any V statement either.
              I don't use any V line anymore after I switched to AXIP forwarding
              (instead of telnet that I used before). The question is how to avoid
              doubling of C C lines (first C C SWITCH or whatever, second C C
              <callsign>), which works fine in WinFBB+BPQ32 but makes problem in
              LinFBB. In Linux I don't run any 'switch' or node like BPQ, so LinFBB
              only needs *one* C line: C <callsign>

              > My axip port in BPQ is 5
              > the BPQ port in FBB is 1
              > A BBS Callsign
              > P A
              > N 2 (FBBC)
              > O 2 (Time out in 2 Min)
              > J 0 (Send no 7 Plus Data)
              > T 30 (Max size of each packet message)
              > C C

              > NOTE:the Word SWITCH was never needed it was just a reference only
              > BPQ know what to do with the C C statement since the Port ID points to
              > BPQ.

              I have also tried to replace C C SWITCH with just C C and it also works
              fine in WinFBB+BPQ32 but again, it confuses LinFBB.

              I just wondered if it is possible in WinFBB+BPQ32 to avoid any
              additional C C statement within the FBB forwarding block which precedes
              C C <callsign>. If it is not - no problem.

              > The use of one Bpq Port in previous versions of FBB is also documented
              > in the F6FBB manual, if you need a copy let me know.

              Ok, you can send me a copy of it or direct me to the location with it.

              Thank you,

              Misko YT7MPB
            • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 11, 2007
                abertheaume wrote:

                > Using this method, you may
                > not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.

                Hi Art et al,

                Well, I have found a trivial solution which works in both WinFBB+BPQ32
                and LinFBB (without BPQ). It is just using at least two conditional
                statements within the same forwarding block, something like this:

                IF C1
                C C YT7MPB-14$W
                ENDIF
                IF C2
                C C SWITCH$W
                C C YT7MPB-14$W
                ENDIF

                So, if I boot LinFBB and start forwarding it will be happy with the
                first path and establish the link. If there is WinFBB+BPQ32, it will try
                the first route and fail (because there's no switch in Linux), stay
                there until the timeout (5 min in my case, might be even less), then it
                will go to the second path and establish the session.

                Maybe looks odd but I don't need to change the content of the fwd file
                whenever I boot the other OS anymore :-)

                Misko YT7MPB
              • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
                  Hi all,

                  I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
                  Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
                  almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
                  starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up - regardless
                  they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
                  JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used FBB)
                  there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.

                  Misko YT7MPB
                • MIchael Melnik Sr.
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
                    Misko YT7MPB

                    The problem you are having is with the 16 Bit Version of FBB open
                    The task manager you will see the processor usage is probably at
                    100% the same will be with 7.00G with 7.00E 32 Bit still runs very high
                    Usually about 50% when forwarding takes place usage will run even higher
                    I have tried all three but abanded them because of there poor
                    preformance, i would recommend switching to WINFBB 7.01-35, i run 7.01
                    BPQ32410a-Feb2007, UI VIEW, UI-NWS, Weather Watcher for UI-VIEW
                    and FBB BEACON Weather Display, TELPAC, UI-VIEW FCC Server DYNDNS
                    Updater and Echo Link all on a 1.1G Celeron 512M Memory Processor
                    usage is 6-10%.
                    Advantages to 7.01-35 No port mapper is needed (you can use I.P and
                    DNS Address), No Protus needed, Easy to install. All files and install
                    instructions are in the Files section on the BPQ Users Group, If you
                    need any help let me Know.

                    Mike Melnik/N9PMO
                    wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
                    > Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
                    > almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
                    > starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up -
                    regardless
                    > they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
                    > JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used
                    FBB)
                    > there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.
                    >
                    > Misko YT7MPB

                  • Art Bertheaume
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
                      This is simply not true, at least not for FBB7e.  We have version E running at several locations on several platforms flawlessly and CPU usage is never very great.  On one system,  using Windows XP, we have BPQ, Telpac, APRS FBBe, Ui-NWS, NWSGET, DYNDNS, Echolink, FBBDNS and Fastchat, all running with only 256meg of RAM without problems.  That particular machine has run continuously for three weeks.  FBB uses 7,120k of mem, nothing compared to the 26,000 that Ui-View is using.  and yes, when a forward session first begins, CPU usage climbs a bit but no where near 100% .

                      But on to the question at hand...
                      Misko,
                        I wonder if it may be with the BPQDED set up that is causing FBB to be such a CPU hog.  I had the same thing happen when I used FBB with the PK-232 host mode driver for my HF port.  That in itself made me quit using that driver and move to AGW at the time.  To be truthful, I did not run the BPQDED very long and never really noticed CPU usage with it running.  I will fire that computer up tomorrow and see what happens with it. "It is your statement of "before I started to use BPQ32 (just used FBB) > there was no such behavior"
                      that makes me tend to think this way.
                      73
                      Art,  N9ZZK

                      wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
                      > Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
                      > almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
                      > starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up -
                      regardless
                      > they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
                      > JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used
                      FBB)
                      > there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.
                      >
                      > Misko YT7MPB

                    • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 21, 2007
                        Hi all,

                        I tried to experiment with an Ethernet link between two computers, one
                        Windows 2000 Pro running BPQ32 4.10a and a DOS machine running BPQ
                        4.08a. After both BPQ's are started, they seem to stay without problems
                        as long as they just idle, exchange their nodes lists, send their
                        beacons around etc. But soon after I 'connect' one switch from the
                        other, regardless of direction, BPQ32 gets into problems and its Console
                        start displaying:

                        Error sending the packet:
                        Error sending the packet:
                        Error sending the packet:
                        Error sending the packet:
                        etc.

                        In the same time it is obvious that the link between two machines is
                        dead so Windows 2000 Pro, on which BPQ32 is running, must be re-booted
                        in order to start a 'healthy' new session of BPQ32. It makes me wonder
                        what might be a problem.

                        On the other side, I am interested in establishing (if possible) an AXIP
                        link between Windows/BPQ32 4.10a and DOS/BPQ 4.08a, instead of Ethernet
                        link. I mean, if I run BPQ32 with an AXIP port it doesn't get into
                        similar problem. But I don't know how to setup AXIP in 4.08a. I tried to
                        look for setup details but haven't found anything. Is 4.09 better in
                        that way?

                        Regards,

                        Misko YT7MPB
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 22, 2007
                          Misko,

                          I don't have a copy of Windows 2000, so can't check this out. Perhaps someone else in the group is running the BPQEther driver with W2K and can help. Have you tried monitoring the ethernet link (say using Ethereal) to see what is happening?

                          DOS BPQ does not support AXIP.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 24, 2007
                            John Wiseman wrote:

                            > I don't have a copy of Windows 2000, so can't check this out. Perhaps
                            > someone else in the group is running the BPQEther driver with W2K and can
                            > help. Have you tried monitoring the ethernet link (say using Ethereal) to
                            > see what is happening?

                            No I didn't. Will try one of these days.

                            > DOS BPQ does not support AXIP.

                            Pity.

                            Regards,

                            Misko YT7MPB