RE: [BPQ32] JNOS + FBB

    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 21, 2007
      Misco,

      My main computer is playing up, but when it is fixed, I'll look into the problem with bpqterminal help.

      I don't have access to W2000, so can't comment on the need for administrator rights. Perhaps someone else on the group could comment.

      What version of FBB are you running? My understanding is there are three versions, with names of wfbb16.exe, wfbb32.exe and winfbb.exe. The first two need a bit of a fiddle to allow FBB to think it is using a wa8ded mode TNC - see the section  WA8DED Hostmode/The Firmware  in the docs at www.g8bpq.org.uk. If you are running Winfbb.exe v 7.01, there is quite a good guide in the files section of the group "WinFBB 7.01 Setup".

      I'm rather confused by what you are saying about "I need BPQ32 to be active on WinFBB's network
      card (say, telnet) port." BPQ32 does not use telnet, but can use an ethernet card either for an AXIP or a BPQEther link to another node. Perhaps a simple diagram of your planned setup would help.

      Regards,

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 6, 2007
        John Wiseman wrote:

        > What version of FBB are you running? My understanding is there are three
        > versions, with names of wfbb16.exe, wfbb32.exe and winfbb.exe. The first two
        > need a bit of a fiddle to allow FBB to think it is using a wa8ded mode TNC -
        > see the section WA8DED Hostmode/The Firmware in the docs at
        > www.g8bpq.org.uk. If you are running Winfbb.exe v 7.01, there is quite a
        > good guide in the files section of the group "WinFBB 7.01 Setup".

        Hi all,

        I finally managed to make WinFBB 7.00i (16-bit) to accept the existence
        of BPQ32, and I am capable now to forward with DOS JNOS 1.11f machine
        over Ethernet. Thanks to all who helped. I had to implement BPQDED.ZIP
        i.e. TFWIN.DLL methodology here (thanks to suggestion from Art, N9ZZK).

        There are some question to answer:

        1. My actual WinFBB's PORT.SYS is as follows:

        #Ports TNCs
        2 2
        #Com Interface Address Baud
        3 7 189c 115200
        8 8 08FF 115200
        #TNC NbCh Com MultCh Pacln Maxfr NbFwd MxBloc M/P-Fwd Mode Freq
        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 00/01 ---- File-fwd.
        1 20 3 0 230 2 20 5 15/30 TGY Telnet
        2 7 8 0 230 2 1 5 15/30 DGY BPQ

        As you can see, I put Com '8' as it has been usual in BPQ for years,
        though I use WA8DED mode on that port. Also, I put 08FF as the address.
        It makes me wonder if those two are ok, or can I play with some other
        values there?

        2. I noticed that if WinFBB starts without BPQ32, it automatically loads
        it. Is it ok to do it that way, or is better to start BPQ with, say, BPQ
        Terminal.exe and after that to start FBB? What's the most common practice?

        3. I noticed that when I close BPQ32 (and all of its active
        applications), there often remains a yellow icon of it in the taskbar.
        It usually disappears when the mouse pointer moves over it, but anyway I
        don't know if it should be there after closing BPQ32 or not.

        4. I need an idea of how to avoid (if possible) a line with 'C SWITCH'
        within the FBB's forwarding block. To be more precise, besides
        WinFBB+BPQ32, I also run LinFBB here and through its AXIP channel I
        directly forward with the callsign of JNOS mailbox - without the need of
        a 'switch'. So, when running LinFBB under Linux, it recognizes 'C
        SWITCH' line as a problem, but WinFBB+BPQ32 needs one, of course. Any
        idea how to solve that? (Note that FBB's common system files are shared
        between two operating systems and are accessed by either WinFBB/LinFBB.)

        Regards,

        Misko YT7MPB
      • abertheaume
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 6, 2007
          Misko,
          I am wondering if you considered setting a port using interface #5,
          TFPCX with FBB. This driver allows connection to another PC with a
          null modem cable. With it perhaps you would not need BPQ to
          accomplish what you are trying to do. I have never used this
          interface but if you read apendix #25 in the FBB help, it appears
          this may be what you are looking to do. Using this method, you may
          not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.
          Art , N9ZZK

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)"
          <skoric@...> wrote:

          > 4. I need an idea of how to avoid (if possible) a line with 'C
          SWITCH'
          > within the FBB's forwarding block. To be more precise, besides
          > WinFBB+BPQ32, I also run LinFBB here and through its AXIP channel I
          > directly forward with the callsign of JNOS mailbox - without the
          need of
          > a 'switch'. So, when running LinFBB under Linux, it recognizes 'C
          > SWITCH' line as a problem, but WinFBB+BPQ32 needs one, of course.
          Any
          > idea how to solve that? (Note that FBB's common system files are
          shared
          > between two operating systems and are accessed by either
          WinFBB/LinFBB.)

          > Regards,
          >
          > Misko YT7MPB

        • MIchael Melnik Sr.
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 6, 2007
            Misko,
            I forward to both JNOS and TNOS stations, i have found the easiest way
            is to forward via the axip UDP network the forwarding block is simple
            no V statement is needed
            My axip port in BPQ is 5
            the BPQ port in FBB is 1
            A BBS Callsign
            P A
            N 2 (FBBC)
            O 2 (Time out in 2 Min)
            J 0 (Send no 7 Plus Data)
            T 30 (Max size of each packet message)
            C C
            C C 5 BBS ALIAS
            B BBS Call sign
            F BBS Call Sign
            H Route Stuff
            G *
            ------
            Two things, the BBS Call or BBS Alias must be sent to your Nodes Table
            on a AXIP UDP Port You must Map his Node in the BPQAXIP.CFG

            NOTE:the Word SWITCH was never needed it was just a reference only
            BPQ know what to do with the C C statement since the Port ID points to
            BPQ. Reguardless what version of FBB you are using You only need one
            BPQ Port for FBB how ever if one wants different Beacons on alternet
            frequencys you would need to allocate more then one BPQ port this can
            only be done in 7.00 series, the 7.01Alpha only allows one BPQ Port
            i have allways felt more then one is unessary, again this is up to
            the user.
            As i understand your message the word SWITCH is the problem i hope
            this solves the problem. To better understand how to connect to
            more then one port in BPQ using FBB please read my Install and Setup
            instuctions for 7.01A in the Files section.
            The use of one Bpq Port in previous versions of FBB is also documented
            in the F6FBB manual, if you need a copy let me know.

            Mike Melnik/N9PMO

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "abertheaume" <abertheaume@...> wrote:

            > Misko,
            > I am wondering if you considered setting a port using interface
            #5,
            > TFPCX with FBB. This driver allows connection to another PC with a
            > null modem cable. With it perhaps you would not need BPQ to
            > accomplish what you are trying to do. I have never used this
            > interface but if you read apendix #25 in the FBB help, it appears
            > this may be what you are looking to do. Using this method, you may
            > not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.
            > Art , N9ZZK
            >
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)"
            > <skoric@> wrote:
            >

            > > 4. I need an idea of how to avoid (if possible) a line with 'C
            > SWITCH'
            > > within the FBB's forwarding block. To be more precise, besides
            > > WinFBB+BPQ32, I also run LinFBB here and through its AXIP channel
            > > directly forward with the callsign of JNOS mailbox - without the
            > need of
            > > a 'switch'. So, when running LinFBB under Linux, it recognizes 'C
            > > SWITCH' line as a problem, but WinFBB+BPQ32 needs one, of course.
            > Any
            > > idea how to solve that? (Note that FBB's common system files are
            > shared
            > > between two operating systems and are accessed by either
            > WinFBB/LinFBB.)
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Misko YT7MPB

          • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 8, 2007
              abertheaume wrote:

              > I am wondering if you considered setting a port using interface #5,
              > TFPCX with FBB. This driver allows connection to another PC with a
              > null modem cable. With it perhaps you would not need BPQ to
              > accomplish what you are trying to do. I have never used this
              > interface but if you read apendix #25 in the FBB help, it appears
              > this may be what you are looking to do. Using this method, you may
              > not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.
              > Art , N9ZZK

              Hi Art,

              Thanks for suggestion. It would help if it didn't ask for a null modem
              cable (it has to be run over Ethernet). Might be interesting to see if
              somebody is using that interface with network cards.

              Regards,

              Misko YT7MPB
            • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 8, 2007
                MIchael Melnik Sr. wrote:

                > Misko,
                > I forward to both JNOS and TNOS stations, i have found the easiest way
                > is to forward via the axip UDP network the forwarding block is simple
                > no V statement is needed

                Hi Mike,

                I am not sure if I understood you: I don't need any V statement either.
                I don't use any V line anymore after I switched to AXIP forwarding
                (instead of telnet that I used before). The question is how to avoid
                doubling of C C lines (first C C SWITCH or whatever, second C C
                <callsign>), which works fine in WinFBB+BPQ32 but makes problem in
                LinFBB. In Linux I don't run any 'switch' or node like BPQ, so LinFBB
                only needs *one* C line: C <callsign>

                > My axip port in BPQ is 5
                > the BPQ port in FBB is 1
                > A BBS Callsign
                > P A
                > N 2 (FBBC)
                > O 2 (Time out in 2 Min)
                > J 0 (Send no 7 Plus Data)
                > T 30 (Max size of each packet message)
                > C C

                > NOTE:the Word SWITCH was never needed it was just a reference only
                > BPQ know what to do with the C C statement since the Port ID points to
                > BPQ.

                I have also tried to replace C C SWITCH with just C C and it also works
                fine in WinFBB+BPQ32 but again, it confuses LinFBB.

                I just wondered if it is possible in WinFBB+BPQ32 to avoid any
                additional C C statement within the FBB forwarding block which precedes
                C C <callsign>. If it is not - no problem.

                > The use of one Bpq Port in previous versions of FBB is also documented
                > in the F6FBB manual, if you need a copy let me know.

                Ok, you can send me a copy of it or direct me to the location with it.

                Thank you,

                Misko YT7MPB
              • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 11, 2007
                  abertheaume wrote:

                  > Using this method, you may
                  > not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.

                  Hi Art et al,

                  Well, I have found a trivial solution which works in both WinFBB+BPQ32
                  and LinFBB (without BPQ). It is just using at least two conditional
                  statements within the same forwarding block, something like this:

                  IF C1
                  C C YT7MPB-14$W
                  ENDIF
                  IF C2
                  C C SWITCH$W
                  C C YT7MPB-14$W
                  ENDIF

                  So, if I boot LinFBB and start forwarding it will be happy with the
                  first path and establish the link. If there is WinFBB+BPQ32, it will try
                  the first route and fail (because there's no switch in Linux), stay
                  there until the timeout (5 min in my case, might be even less), then it
                  will go to the second path and establish the session.

                  Maybe looks odd but I don't need to change the content of the fwd file
                  whenever I boot the other OS anymore :-)

                  Misko YT7MPB
                • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
                    Hi all,

                    I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
                    Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
                    almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
                    starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up - regardless
                    they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
                    JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used FBB)
                    there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.

                    Misko YT7MPB
                  • MIchael Melnik Sr.
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
                      Misko YT7MPB

                      The problem you are having is with the 16 Bit Version of FBB open
                      The task manager you will see the processor usage is probably at
                      100% the same will be with 7.00G with 7.00E 32 Bit still runs very high
                      Usually about 50% when forwarding takes place usage will run even higher
                      I have tried all three but abanded them because of there poor
                      preformance, i would recommend switching to WINFBB 7.01-35, i run 7.01
                      BPQ32410a-Feb2007, UI VIEW, UI-NWS, Weather Watcher for UI-VIEW
                      and FBB BEACON Weather Display, TELPAC, UI-VIEW FCC Server DYNDNS
                      Updater and Echo Link all on a 1.1G Celeron 512M Memory Processor
                      usage is 6-10%.
                      Advantages to 7.01-35 No port mapper is needed (you can use I.P and
                      DNS Address), No Protus needed, Easy to install. All files and install
                      instructions are in the Files section on the BPQ Users Group, If you
                      need any help let me Know.

                      Mike Melnik/N9PMO
                      wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
                      > Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
                      > almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
                      > starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up -
                      regardless
                      > they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
                      > JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used
                      FBB)
                      > there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.
                      >
                      > Misko YT7MPB

                    • Art Bertheaume
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
                        This is simply not true, at least not for FBB7e.  We have version E running at several locations on several platforms flawlessly and CPU usage is never very great.  On one system,  using Windows XP, we have BPQ, Telpac, APRS FBBe, Ui-NWS, NWSGET, DYNDNS, Echolink, FBBDNS and Fastchat, all running with only 256meg of RAM without problems.  That particular machine has run continuously for three weeks.  FBB uses 7,120k of mem, nothing compared to the 26,000 that Ui-View is using.  and yes, when a forward session first begins, CPU usage climbs a bit but no where near 100% .

                        But on to the question at hand...
                        Misko,
                          I wonder if it may be with the BPQDED set up that is causing FBB to be such a CPU hog.  I had the same thing happen when I used FBB with the PK-232 host mode driver for my HF port.  That in itself made me quit using that driver and move to AGW at the time.  To be truthful, I did not run the BPQDED very long and never really noticed CPU usage with it running.  I will fire that computer up tomorrow and see what happens with it. "It is your statement of "before I started to use BPQ32 (just used FBB) > there was no such behavior"
                        that makes me tend to think this way.
                        73
                        Art,  N9ZZK

                        wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
                        > Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
                        > almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
                        > starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up -
                        regardless
                        > they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
                        > JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used
                        FBB)
                        > there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.
                        >
                        > Misko YT7MPB

                      • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 21, 2007
                          Hi all,

                          I tried to experiment with an Ethernet link between two computers, one
                          Windows 2000 Pro running BPQ32 4.10a and a DOS machine running BPQ
                          4.08a. After both BPQ's are started, they seem to stay without problems
                          as long as they just idle, exchange their nodes lists, send their
                          beacons around etc. But soon after I 'connect' one switch from the
                          other, regardless of direction, BPQ32 gets into problems and its Console
                          start displaying:

                          Error sending the packet:
                          Error sending the packet:
                          Error sending the packet:
                          Error sending the packet:
                          etc.

                          In the same time it is obvious that the link between two machines is
                          dead so Windows 2000 Pro, on which BPQ32 is running, must be re-booted
                          in order to start a 'healthy' new session of BPQ32. It makes me wonder
                          what might be a problem.

                          On the other side, I am interested in establishing (if possible) an AXIP
                          link between Windows/BPQ32 4.10a and DOS/BPQ 4.08a, instead of Ethernet
                          link. I mean, if I run BPQ32 with an AXIP port it doesn't get into
                          similar problem. But I don't know how to setup AXIP in 4.08a. I tried to
                          look for setup details but haven't found anything. Is 4.09 better in
                          that way?

                          Regards,

                          Misko YT7MPB
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 22, 2007
                            Misko,

                            I don't have a copy of Windows 2000, so can't check this out. Perhaps someone else in the group is running the BPQEther driver with W2K and can help. Have you tried monitoring the ethernet link (say using Ethereal) to see what is happening?

                            DOS BPQ does not support AXIP.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 24, 2007
                              John Wiseman wrote:

                              > I don't have a copy of Windows 2000, so can't check this out. Perhaps
                              > someone else in the group is running the BPQEther driver with W2K and can
                              > help. Have you tried monitoring the ethernet link (say using Ethereal) to
                              > see what is happening?

                              No I didn't. Will try one of these days.

                              > DOS BPQ does not support AXIP.

                              Pity.

                              Regards,

                              Misko YT7MPB