Re: [BPQ32] NTS

  • K.O. Higgs
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 24, 2011
    I made a screenshot and also "copy and paste" a text file.. attached.
    In the process of copying and pasting the list of zipcodes, I noticed that
    there seemed to be some "spaces" appended to the zipcodes. I had originally
    "copied and pasted" the zipcodes into the TO: field. I went thru the TO:
    field and edited out any trailing spaces... and it now seems to be working.
    Sorry about the stupid stunt..

    K.O. n0kfq

    On 12/24/2011 2:04 PM, John Wiseman wrote:

    K.O,

    I put (just examples for testing)

    1234*
    44*
    55555
    And it matched both 12345 and 55555. Can you send me a copy of what you have, and I'll trace it through the code.

    Message 2 of 20 , Dec 24, 2011
      Otto! Good to hear from you. I lost forwarding with you about a month ago and would like
      to get it restored..

      K.O. n0kfq

      On 12/24/2011 3:23 PM, Edward Tune wrote:

      Strange, K.O. Just started foolin' with it in the past week myself and I found that method worked for all my in-state stuff. I have put a few states  (NTSCA) on the other side... in the from box but have not dropped a message there to see if it would go out. Anyway 'zippers' seem to work for me on the TO side.

      For that matter, feel free to place an NTS message to me at 89706 for testing and also stick a NTSNV on the other side for stuff heading this direction... Might give us both a chance at testing and to learn stuff.

      Regards,

      Otto, KV7J

      --

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@...

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@...

      Message 3 of 20 , Dec 24, 2011
        Thanks, K.O.

        I'll change the software to remove any trailing spaces to avoid problems in the future.

        Message 4 of 20 , Dec 24, 2011
          K.O., glad you figured out what was going on. I have been doing all our NTS routing via just zip codes in BPQBBS (no NTSxx in play at all) for sometime now and it works great.

          Does take a bit of time/coordination to work out who covers what zip codes within your state. Setup for other states is even easier as you usually just need to add just a few ##*** or ###** entries for the other BBS.

          Also make sure to set your "local" zip codes in your OWN forwarding record's "TO box...a step that is often overlooked with BPQBBS ;-) If you don't set your own "local" zips, then you may wind up forwarding local traffic to other in-state BBS systems unnecessarily. Since you are pretty much the NTS "gateway" BBS for MO, you could simply set the following in your own forwarding record:

          63***
          64***
          65***

          Then you can go add more specific zip codes for any other Missouri BBS systems you forward with in their forwarding records.

          Other "downstream" Missouri BPQBBS systems would also need to set their local zip codes in their own forwarding record (again, often overlooked) and usually just set a simple master wildcard * in their forwarding record for you.

          Some handy resources....

          Great map for figuring out zip codes for other states:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ZIP_Code_zones.svg

          Handy state zoom-able zip code boundary maps:

          http://www.zipmap.net/

          Merry Christmas all!

          73
          Jeff
          WA4ZKO
          "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
          "BBS Sysop? Have you run LN today?"
          Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
          http://twitter.com/wa4zko
          http://www.youtube.com/user/wa4zko

          > Thanks, K.O.
          >
          > I'll change the software to remove any trailing spaces to avoid problems in
          > the future.

        • K.O. Higgs
          Message 5 of 20 , Dec 24, 2011
            Thanks, Jeff.... a wealth of info and resources... I'll use some of it.

            Stay warm and well..

            K.O.