RE: [BPQ32] JNOS + FBB

    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 14, 2007
      Hi Misco,

      I don't think you can run bpcode in a "command box" on Win2000 or XP. But you could run BPQ32, and link it to your jnos machine using bpqether. You can run FBB with BPQ32.

      Regards,

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 15, 2007
        Mark Harloff wrote:

        > I had a similar problem with WinFBB32 awhile ago where, during a telnet
        > forward session, it would handshake with the other BBS and then stop.
        > The problem was resolved by upreving the WinFBB telnet dll.
        >
        > If you would like to try that, I can forward you the dll I used.

        Hi Mark, as I can see you use 32-bit WinFBB and I use 16-bit (7.00i). I
        am not sure if your dll could help me. In fact, I do not have problems
        with telnet forwarding with other FBB's but only to forward with JNOS
        (over ethernet). Did you have problems during telnet fwd sessions with
        FBB or JNOS partners?

        Regards,

        Misko YT7MPB
      • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 15, 2007
          John Wiseman wrote:

          > I don't think you can run bpcode in a "command box" on Win2000 or XP. But
          > you could run BPQ32, and link it to your jnos machine using bpqether. You
          > can run FBB with BPQ32.

          Hi John, will try to install BPQ32. I was also suspicious on using 'old'
          code under 32-bit Windows but ...

          Misko YT7MPB
        • Peter Mallett
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 15, 2007
            Hi Miroslav,

            Have you tried `N 0` in your FBB forward file to Jnos ?

            I ran Jnos for a number of years with forwarding from FBB and it
            works real well but not with compressed mail.

            Regards ..... Peter zl2bau

            Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB) wrote:

            > Mark Harloff wrote:
            >
            > > I had a similar problem with WinFBB32 awhile ago where, during a telnet
            > > forward session, it would handshake with the other BBS and then stop.
            > > The problem was resolved by upreving the WinFBB telnet dll.
            > >
            > > If you would like to try that, I can forward you the dll I used.
            > >

            > Hi Mark, as I can see you use 32-bit WinFBB and I use 16-bit (7.00i). I
            > am not sure if your dll could help me. In fact, I do not have problems
            > with telnet forwarding with other FBB's but only to forward with JNOS
            > (over ethernet). Did you have problems during telnet fwd sessions with
            > FBB or JNOS partners?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Misko YT7MPB

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 16, 2007
              Hi Misko,

              The problem I had was between FBB partners.

              - Mark K2CAN

              Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB) wrote:

              > Mark Harloff wrote:
              >
              >> I had a similar problem with WinFBB32 awhile ago where, during a telnet
              >> forward session, it would handshake with the other BBS and then stop.
              >> The problem was resolved by upreving the WinFBB telnet dll.
              >>
              >> If you would like to try that, I can forward you the dll I used.
              >>

              > Hi Mark, as I can see you use 32-bit WinFBB and I use 16-bit (7.00i). I
              > am not sure if your dll could help me. In fact, I do not have problems
              > with telnet forwarding with other FBB's but only to forward with JNOS
              > (over ethernet). Did you have problems during telnet fwd sessions with
              > FBB or JNOS partners?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Misko YT7MPB

            • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 17, 2007
                John Wiseman wrote:

                > I don't think you can run bpcode in a "command box" on Win2000 or XP. But
                > you could run BPQ32, and link it to your jnos machine using bpqether. You
                > can run FBB with BPQ32.

                I have downloaded several zip packages that looked related to BPQ32:
                BPQ32408.ZIP
                BPQ32409.ZIP
                BPQ32UPDATE.ZIP
                BPQ32DLL.ZIP
                BPQ32NTS.ZIP

                I looked into the files and now I am confused on the action I should do:

                - Which files should reside in a 'BPQ' folder
                - Which files should go to Windows 2000 'system' folder
                - Is it ..\winnt\system -or- \winnt\system32 -or- ...
                - Should config files (BPQCFG.BIN and BPQAXIP.CFG etc) also go into
                'system' folder or should they stay in 'BPQ' one?
                - How to activate the engine: Is it going automatically with booting
                Windows 2000 or a manual action should be performed?
                - Is it needed to have an adopted AUTOEXEC.BAT and what to put in there?
                - Do I still need to de-install Windows driver for the existing network
                card and instead use the packet driver procedure as within DOS BPQ?
                - Is there a way to make a different hardware 'profile' for Windows 2000
                Prof. in a way to have at least two options when boot: to boot Win with
                its own NIC activated (as usual) and to boot it without NIC but BPQ instead?

                I would appreciate if somebody could direct me to a text file manual
                about such issues (if somebody has something like that) - in order to
                avoid such FAQ's, but any other pointer is appreciated.

                Misko YT7MPB
              • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 17, 2007
                  Peter Mallett wrote:

                  > Have you tried `N 0` in your FBB forward file to Jnos ?
                  >
                  > I ran Jnos for a number of years with forwarding from FBB and it
                  > works real well but not with compressed mail.

                  Peter, I just tried to put 'N 0' (before it was 'N 1') and all remains
                  the same: All stops after handshaking and 'freezes' until timeout. On
                  the other hand, if run LinFBB instead WinFBB, then it stays with
                  handshaking for a while (say a minute or so), then FBB sends a proposal
                  (which JNOS' mbox command recognizes as the user 'sending message') but
                  nothing happens after that, until timeout. Btw, I have also played with
                  changing JNOS' mbox fbb command to values 0, 1 and 2 but nothing helped.

                  If I remember, a month ago I somehow actually managed to sent a couple
                  of bulletins from FBB to JNOS, but only the heaven knows now which exact
                  JNOS/FBB setup and software version(s) I had then :-) ... and no
                  progress since ...

                  Regards,

                  Misko YT7MPB
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 18, 2007
                    Misco,

                    All files except bpq32.dll should be in the bpq folder - I suggest \Program Files\BPQ32.  bpq32.dll is best in the system32 folder. It must be moved there, not copied, so that there isn't a copy left in the bpq directory.

                    The bpq32 engine is loaded when the first bpq32 application loads. While testing I suggest you run bpqterminal. You don't need an autoexec file.

                    There is no need to de-install the Windows NIC driver, but you must install the winpcap library if you want to run bpqether protocol. See the bpqether section of the documentation at www.g8bpq.org.uk for details.

                    Regards,

                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 20, 2007
                      John Wiseman wrote:

                      > I suggest you download Version 4.10a from the files section of this group
                      > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/files/BPQ32_410aBeta19Feb2007/).

                      Hi John et al,

                      I had some difficulties to download from the address above so I used
                      http://dxspots.com/bpq32/bpq32_410aBeta19Feb2007.zip instead, and
                      I hope this is a regular mirror or like. There I also found Ron
                      Stordahl, N5IN's installation instructions that helped me.

                      > All files except bpq32.dll should be in the bpq folder - I suggest \Program
                      > Files\BPQ32. bpq32.dll is best in the system32 folder. It must be moved
                      > there, not copied, so that there isn't a copy left in the bpq directory.

                      Ok, at first I unpacked the archive into \Program Files\BPQ32 and moved
                      BPQ32.dll into \WINNT\system32 folder. After that I ran
                      SetRegistryPath.exe and RegBPQCtrl.bat and adopted the original
                      bpqcfg.txt and BPQEther.cfg to my needs: only one port running
                      BPQAXIP.DLL and added a new line into bpqaxip.cfg (JNOS callsign on the
                      target side of the link etc).

                      > The bpq32 engine is loaded when the first bpq32 application loads. While
                      > testing I suggest you run bpqterminal. You don't need an autoexec file.
                      >
                      > There is no need to de-install the Windows NIC driver, but you must install
                      > the winpcap library if you want to run bpqether protocol. See the bpqether
                      > section of the documentation at www.g8bpq.org.uk for details.

                      Ok, I used BPQTerminal.exe and it seems that works. Anyway I noticed
                      some things that I would like to report:

                      administrator is logged in Windows 2000 Prof. If an account with 'user'
                      or 'power user' privileges is used, then an error message appears and
                      the application is not functional - regardless BPQ32.dll Console says:
                      'Switch loaded and initialised OK'. in addition, my Win 2k partition is
                      of type FAT (not NTFS), so there is no file/folder security permission
                      in place. And I also tried with bpq folder moved from \Program
                      Files\BPQ32 to the root of the disk (with the same result).

                      - I noticed that Help tab doesn't give any output in BPQTerminal. Also,
                      BPQTERMINAL.HLP file seems to be just a short single-page without any
                      other content or something. I don't know if maybe my archive missed
                      something or it is just like that.

                      - Although I am capable to connect my networked DOS JNOS computer via
                      BPQTerminal's axip port, I am still not able to activate WinFBB in BPQ
                      mode. In fact, if I change FBB's PORT.SYS in a way to add a BPQ port
                      (interface 2), during FBB boot it complains that 'BPQ driver is not
                      found' and abort. It was very long ago when I used DosFBB + DOS BPQ on a
                      real COM port, and now I need BPQ32 to be active on WinFBB's network
                      card (say, telnet) port. If somebody has an idea how to configure that,
                      let me know. To be specific, I am not sure which 'Address' and 'Com'
                      parameters to use in FBB (earlier I used the value of '189c' as Address
                      and '7' as Interface at Com 3 - where is my telephone modem configured
                      which I have been using for telnet forwarding). The plan is to activate
                      the BPQ's axip capability on the address where my network card is, but I
                      am not sure which 'Com' the network card should use? In fact, my NE2000
                      clone NIC is on IRQ 5, I/O 0x240 and it makes me wonder how it
                      corresponds with FBB's 'Com' parameters. Any idea?

                      Misko YT7MPB
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 21, 2007
                        Misco,

                        My main computer is playing up, but when it is fixed, I'll look into the problem with bpqterminal help.

                        I don't have access to W2000, so can't comment on the need for administrator rights. Perhaps someone else on the group could comment.

                        What version of FBB are you running? My understanding is there are three versions, with names of wfbb16.exe, wfbb32.exe and winfbb.exe. The first two need a bit of a fiddle to allow FBB to think it is using a wa8ded mode TNC - see the section  WA8DED Hostmode/The Firmware  in the docs at www.g8bpq.org.uk. If you are running Winfbb.exe v 7.01, there is quite a good guide in the files section of the group "WinFBB 7.01 Setup".

                        I'm rather confused by what you are saying about "I need BPQ32 to be active on WinFBB's network
                        card (say, telnet) port." BPQ32 does not use telnet, but can use an ethernet card either for an AXIP or a BPQEther link to another node. Perhaps a simple diagram of your planned setup would help.

                        Regards,

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 6, 2007
                          John Wiseman wrote:

                          > What version of FBB are you running? My understanding is there are three
                          > versions, with names of wfbb16.exe, wfbb32.exe and winfbb.exe. The first two
                          > need a bit of a fiddle to allow FBB to think it is using a wa8ded mode TNC -
                          > see the section WA8DED Hostmode/The Firmware in the docs at
                          > www.g8bpq.org.uk. If you are running Winfbb.exe v 7.01, there is quite a
                          > good guide in the files section of the group "WinFBB 7.01 Setup".

                          Hi all,

                          I finally managed to make WinFBB 7.00i (16-bit) to accept the existence
                          of BPQ32, and I am capable now to forward with DOS JNOS 1.11f machine
                          over Ethernet. Thanks to all who helped. I had to implement BPQDED.ZIP
                          i.e. TFWIN.DLL methodology here (thanks to suggestion from Art, N9ZZK).

                          There are some question to answer:

                          1. My actual WinFBB's PORT.SYS is as follows:

                          #Ports TNCs
                          2 2
                          #Com Interface Address Baud
                          3 7 189c 115200
                          8 8 08FF 115200
                          #TNC NbCh Com MultCh Pacln Maxfr NbFwd MxBloc M/P-Fwd Mode Freq
                          0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 00/01 ---- File-fwd.
                          1 20 3 0 230 2 20 5 15/30 TGY Telnet
                          2 7 8 0 230 2 1 5 15/30 DGY BPQ

                          As you can see, I put Com '8' as it has been usual in BPQ for years,
                          though I use WA8DED mode on that port. Also, I put 08FF as the address.
                          It makes me wonder if those two are ok, or can I play with some other
                          values there?

                          2. I noticed that if WinFBB starts without BPQ32, it automatically loads
                          it. Is it ok to do it that way, or is better to start BPQ with, say, BPQ
                          Terminal.exe and after that to start FBB? What's the most common practice?

                          3. I noticed that when I close BPQ32 (and all of its active
                          applications), there often remains a yellow icon of it in the taskbar.
                          It usually disappears when the mouse pointer moves over it, but anyway I
                          don't know if it should be there after closing BPQ32 or not.

                          4. I need an idea of how to avoid (if possible) a line with 'C SWITCH'
                          within the FBB's forwarding block. To be more precise, besides
                          WinFBB+BPQ32, I also run LinFBB here and through its AXIP channel I
                          directly forward with the callsign of JNOS mailbox - without the need of
                          a 'switch'. So, when running LinFBB under Linux, it recognizes 'C
                          SWITCH' line as a problem, but WinFBB+BPQ32 needs one, of course. Any
                          idea how to solve that? (Note that FBB's common system files are shared
                          between two operating systems and are accessed by either WinFBB/LinFBB.)

                          Regards,

                          Misko YT7MPB
                        • abertheaume
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 6, 2007
                            Misko,
                            I am wondering if you considered setting a port using interface #5,
                            TFPCX with FBB. This driver allows connection to another PC with a
                            null modem cable. With it perhaps you would not need BPQ to
                            accomplish what you are trying to do. I have never used this
                            interface but if you read apendix #25 in the FBB help, it appears
                            this may be what you are looking to do. Using this method, you may
                            not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.
                            Art , N9ZZK

                            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)"
                            <skoric@...> wrote:

                            > 4. I need an idea of how to avoid (if possible) a line with 'C
                            SWITCH'
                            > within the FBB's forwarding block. To be more precise, besides
                            > WinFBB+BPQ32, I also run LinFBB here and through its AXIP channel I
                            > directly forward with the callsign of JNOS mailbox - without the
                            need of
                            > a 'switch'. So, when running LinFBB under Linux, it recognizes 'C
                            > SWITCH' line as a problem, but WinFBB+BPQ32 needs one, of course.
                            Any
                            > idea how to solve that? (Note that FBB's common system files are
                            shared
                            > between two operating systems and are accessed by either
                            WinFBB/LinFBB.)

                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Misko YT7MPB

                          • MIchael Melnik Sr.
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 6, 2007
                              Misko,
                              I forward to both JNOS and TNOS stations, i have found the easiest way
                              is to forward via the axip UDP network the forwarding block is simple
                              no V statement is needed
                              My axip port in BPQ is 5
                              the BPQ port in FBB is 1
                              A BBS Callsign
                              P A
                              N 2 (FBBC)
                              O 2 (Time out in 2 Min)
                              J 0 (Send no 7 Plus Data)
                              T 30 (Max size of each packet message)
                              C C
                              C C 5 BBS ALIAS
                              B BBS Call sign
                              F BBS Call Sign
                              H Route Stuff
                              G *
                              ------
                              Two things, the BBS Call or BBS Alias must be sent to your Nodes Table
                              on a AXIP UDP Port You must Map his Node in the BPQAXIP.CFG

                              NOTE:the Word SWITCH was never needed it was just a reference only
                              BPQ know what to do with the C C statement since the Port ID points to
                              BPQ. Reguardless what version of FBB you are using You only need one
                              BPQ Port for FBB how ever if one wants different Beacons on alternet
                              frequencys you would need to allocate more then one BPQ port this can
                              only be done in 7.00 series, the 7.01Alpha only allows one BPQ Port
                              i have allways felt more then one is unessary, again this is up to
                              the user.
                              As i understand your message the word SWITCH is the problem i hope
                              this solves the problem. To better understand how to connect to
                              more then one port in BPQ using FBB please read my Install and Setup
                              instuctions for 7.01A in the Files section.
                              The use of one Bpq Port in previous versions of FBB is also documented
                              in the F6FBB manual, if you need a copy let me know.

                              Mike Melnik/N9PMO

                              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "abertheaume" <abertheaume@...> wrote:

                              > Misko,
                              > I am wondering if you considered setting a port using interface
                              #5,
                              > TFPCX with FBB. This driver allows connection to another PC with a
                              > null modem cable. With it perhaps you would not need BPQ to
                              > accomplish what you are trying to do. I have never used this
                              > interface but if you read apendix #25 in the FBB help, it appears
                              > this may be what you are looking to do. Using this method, you may
                              > not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.
                              > Art , N9ZZK
                              >
                              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)"
                              > <skoric@> wrote:
                              >

                              > > 4. I need an idea of how to avoid (if possible) a line with 'C
                              > SWITCH'
                              > > within the FBB's forwarding block. To be more precise, besides
                              > > WinFBB+BPQ32, I also run LinFBB here and through its AXIP channel
                              > > directly forward with the callsign of JNOS mailbox - without the
                              > need of
                              > > a 'switch'. So, when running LinFBB under Linux, it recognizes 'C
                              > > SWITCH' line as a problem, but WinFBB+BPQ32 needs one, of course.
                              > Any
                              > > idea how to solve that? (Note that FBB's common system files are
                              > shared
                              > > between two operating systems and are accessed by either
                              > WinFBB/LinFBB.)
                              > >
                              > > Regards,
                              > >
                              > > Misko YT7MPB

                            • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 8, 2007
                                abertheaume wrote:

                                > I am wondering if you considered setting a port using interface #5,
                                > TFPCX with FBB. This driver allows connection to another PC with a
                                > null modem cable. With it perhaps you would not need BPQ to
                                > accomplish what you are trying to do. I have never used this
                                > interface but if you read apendix #25 in the FBB help, it appears
                                > this may be what you are looking to do. Using this method, you may
                                > not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.
                                > Art , N9ZZK

                                Hi Art,

                                Thanks for suggestion. It would help if it didn't ask for a null modem
                                cable (it has to be run over Ethernet). Might be interesting to see if
                                somebody is using that interface with network cards.

                                Regards,

                                Misko YT7MPB
                              • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 8, 2007
                                  MIchael Melnik Sr. wrote:

                                  > Misko,
                                  > I forward to both JNOS and TNOS stations, i have found the easiest way
                                  > is to forward via the axip UDP network the forwarding block is simple
                                  > no V statement is needed

                                  Hi Mike,

                                  I am not sure if I understood you: I don't need any V statement either.
                                  I don't use any V line anymore after I switched to AXIP forwarding
                                  (instead of telnet that I used before). The question is how to avoid
                                  doubling of C C lines (first C C SWITCH or whatever, second C C
                                  <callsign>), which works fine in WinFBB+BPQ32 but makes problem in
                                  LinFBB. In Linux I don't run any 'switch' or node like BPQ, so LinFBB
                                  only needs *one* C line: C <callsign>

                                  > My axip port in BPQ is 5
                                  > the BPQ port in FBB is 1
                                  > A BBS Callsign
                                  > P A
                                  > N 2 (FBBC)
                                  > O 2 (Time out in 2 Min)
                                  > J 0 (Send no 7 Plus Data)
                                  > T 30 (Max size of each packet message)
                                  > C C

                                  > NOTE:the Word SWITCH was never needed it was just a reference only
                                  > BPQ know what to do with the C C statement since the Port ID points to
                                  > BPQ.

                                  I have also tried to replace C C SWITCH with just C C and it also works
                                  fine in WinFBB+BPQ32 but again, it confuses LinFBB.

                                  I just wondered if it is possible in WinFBB+BPQ32 to avoid any
                                  additional C C statement within the FBB forwarding block which precedes
                                  C C <callsign>. If it is not - no problem.

                                  > The use of one Bpq Port in previous versions of FBB is also documented
                                  > in the F6FBB manual, if you need a copy let me know.

                                  Ok, you can send me a copy of it or direct me to the location with it.

                                  Thank you,

                                  Misko YT7MPB
                                • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 11, 2007
                                    abertheaume wrote:

                                    > Using this method, you may
                                    > not need the C SWITCH command line in the forward block.

                                    Hi Art et al,

                                    Well, I have found a trivial solution which works in both WinFBB+BPQ32
                                    and LinFBB (without BPQ). It is just using at least two conditional
                                    statements within the same forwarding block, something like this:

                                    IF C1
                                    C C YT7MPB-14$W
                                    ENDIF
                                    IF C2
                                    C C SWITCH$W
                                    C C YT7MPB-14$W
                                    ENDIF

                                    So, if I boot LinFBB and start forwarding it will be happy with the
                                    first path and establish the link. If there is WinFBB+BPQ32, it will try
                                    the first route and fail (because there's no switch in Linux), stay
                                    there until the timeout (5 min in my case, might be even less), then it
                                    will go to the second path and establish the session.

                                    Maybe looks odd but I don't need to change the content of the fwd file
                                    whenever I boot the other OS anymore :-)

                                    Misko YT7MPB
                                  • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
                                      Hi all,

                                      I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
                                      Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
                                      almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
                                      starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up - regardless
                                      they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
                                      JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used FBB)
                                      there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.

                                      Misko YT7MPB
                                    • MIchael Melnik Sr.
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
                                        Misko YT7MPB

                                        The problem you are having is with the 16 Bit Version of FBB open
                                        The task manager you will see the processor usage is probably at
                                        100% the same will be with 7.00G with 7.00E 32 Bit still runs very high
                                        Usually about 50% when forwarding takes place usage will run even higher
                                        I have tried all three but abanded them because of there poor
                                        preformance, i would recommend switching to WINFBB 7.01-35, i run 7.01
                                        BPQ32410a-Feb2007, UI VIEW, UI-NWS, Weather Watcher for UI-VIEW
                                        and FBB BEACON Weather Display, TELPAC, UI-VIEW FCC Server DYNDNS
                                        Updater and Echo Link all on a 1.1G Celeron 512M Memory Processor
                                        usage is 6-10%.
                                        Advantages to 7.01-35 No port mapper is needed (you can use I.P and
                                        DNS Address), No Protus needed, Easy to install. All files and install
                                        instructions are in the Files section on the BPQ Users Group, If you
                                        need any help let me Know.

                                        Mike Melnik/N9PMO
                                        wrote:

                                        > Hi all,
                                        >
                                        > I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
                                        > Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
                                        > almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
                                        > starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up -
                                        regardless
                                        > they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
                                        > JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used
                                        FBB)
                                        > there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.
                                        >
                                        > Misko YT7MPB

                                      • Art Bertheaume
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 16, 2007
                                          This is simply not true, at least not for FBB7e.  We have version E running at several locations on several platforms flawlessly and CPU usage is never very great.  On one system,  using Windows XP, we have BPQ, Telpac, APRS FBBe, Ui-NWS, NWSGET, DYNDNS, Echolink, FBBDNS and Fastchat, all running with only 256meg of RAM without problems.  That particular machine has run continuously for three weeks.  FBB uses 7,120k of mem, nothing compared to the 26,000 that Ui-View is using.  and yes, when a forward session first begins, CPU usage climbs a bit but no where near 100% .

                                          But on to the question at hand...
                                          Misko,
                                            I wonder if it may be with the BPQDED set up that is causing FBB to be such a CPU hog.  I had the same thing happen when I used FBB with the PK-232 host mode driver for my HF port.  That in itself made me quit using that driver and move to AGW at the time.  To be truthful, I did not run the BPQDED very long and never really noticed CPU usage with it running.  I will fire that computer up tomorrow and see what happens with it. "It is your statement of "before I started to use BPQ32 (just used FBB) > there was no such behavior"
                                          that makes me tend to think this way.
                                          73
                                          Art,  N9ZZK

                                          wrote:

                                          > Hi all,
                                          >
                                          > I have been using BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i (16 bit) under Windows 2000.
                                          > Recently I noticed that BPQ32 terribly slows the system in a way that
                                          > almost all other that is running at the time is awfully slow. And it
                                          > starts to happen very soon after BPQ32 + FBB 7.00i are up -
                                          regardless
                                          > they just idle or if it is a forwarding session established with the
                                          > JNOS computer. And, btw, before I started to use BPQ32 (just used
                                          FBB)
                                          > there was no such behavior. I have P2 with 224 meg of RAM here.
                                          >
                                          > Misko YT7MPB

                                        • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 21, 2007
                                            Hi all,

                                            I tried to experiment with an Ethernet link between two computers, one
                                            Windows 2000 Pro running BPQ32 4.10a and a DOS machine running BPQ
                                            4.08a. After both BPQ's are started, they seem to stay without problems
                                            as long as they just idle, exchange their nodes lists, send their
                                            beacons around etc. But soon after I 'connect' one switch from the
                                            other, regardless of direction, BPQ32 gets into problems and its Console
                                            start displaying:

                                            Error sending the packet:
                                            Error sending the packet:
                                            Error sending the packet:
                                            Error sending the packet:
                                            etc.

                                            In the same time it is obvious that the link between two machines is
                                            dead so Windows 2000 Pro, on which BPQ32 is running, must be re-booted
                                            in order to start a 'healthy' new session of BPQ32. It makes me wonder
                                            what might be a problem.

                                            On the other side, I am interested in establishing (if possible) an AXIP
                                            link between Windows/BPQ32 4.10a and DOS/BPQ 4.08a, instead of Ethernet
                                            link. I mean, if I run BPQ32 with an AXIP port it doesn't get into
                                            similar problem. But I don't know how to setup AXIP in 4.08a. I tried to
                                            look for setup details but haven't found anything. Is 4.09 better in
                                            that way?

                                            Regards,

                                            Misko YT7MPB
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 22, 2007
                                              Misko,

                                              I don't have a copy of Windows 2000, so can't check this out. Perhaps someone else in the group is running the BPQEther driver with W2K and can help. Have you tried monitoring the ethernet link (say using Ethereal) to see what is happening?

                                              DOS BPQ does not support AXIP.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 24, 2007
                                                John Wiseman wrote:

                                                > I don't have a copy of Windows 2000, so can't check this out. Perhaps
                                                > someone else in the group is running the BPQEther driver with W2K and can
                                                > help. Have you tried monitoring the ethernet link (say using Ethereal) to
                                                > see what is happening?

                                                No I didn't. Will try one of these days.

                                                > DOS BPQ does not support AXIP.

                                                Pity.

                                                Regards,

                                                Misko YT7MPB