Re: UZ7HO Sound Modem vs. soundmodem by Thomas Sailor

  • TompkiV
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011
      What is the difference? Is it a fork? I used to use AGWPE free with
      WinPack etc. and soundmodem with Paxon which also worked with AGWPE.
      soundmodem would also let me use Windows Telnet and other TCP/IP
      programs directly.

      --

      Vincent Tompkins
      TompkiV165@...
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011

        Vincent

                        Less capabilities with UZ7HO modem? Less intimidating setup? Latest toy on the block? Pick one or more.

        73 Bill

        N9ACQ

      • marc_pd4u
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 5, 2011
          I pick "better decode than AGW" ;)

          73 Marc

        • kt4wo67@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2011
            "Less capabilities with UZ7HO modem? Less intimidating setup?
            Latest toy on the block? Pick one or more."

            Yet decodes MUCH BETTER than AGWPE ...I'll pick that one.

            Trip - KT4WO

            PS--- running both--side by side--same radio--UZ7HO wins

          • Mike Miller
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2011
              The question, was re: soundmodem not AGW. As a lurker and not a
              real BPQ32 user, my experience with soundmodem is with UI-
              View32 and Paxon which were the only Windows programs that
              seemed to easily interface with soundmodem. Soundmodem seems to
              decode better than AGW , but lead to UI-View crashes on a
              regular basis. UZ7HO Sound Modem plugs into at least one other
              Windows application that I use, but I haven't played with it
              much.

              Mike kc9doa

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
                I run UZ7HO's modem since it's early versions for a few months now, and have never had problems using UIview. I am unning UIView in BPQ Host mode.
                Other stations on NET14 are running UZ7HO's modem without any prolems too, but using UIView in AGW Hostmode....

                Marc

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
                  "but lead to UI-View crashes on a
                  regular basis."

                  Remember.... Beta ...Report that, maybe he can/will fix the problem.
                  But he needs to know to fix it.

                  Trip - KT4WO

                • TompkiV
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
                    Posted by: kt4wo
                    PS--- running both--side by side--same radio--UZ7HO wins
                    Since you added AGW to the mix then both doesn't belong unless you tell me which 2 of the three you run side by side?

                    Posted by: kc9doa
                    my experience with soundmodem is with UI-View32 and Paxon
                    Which soundmodem since they both UZ7HO and HB9JNX/AE4WA programs go by that name.?
                    I just noticed I spelled his name incorrectly, it's Thomas Sailer HB9JNX/AE4WA.
                    --

                    Vincent Tompkins
                    TompkiV165@...
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011

                      As far as I can tell there is no connection between Thomas Sailer’s modem and UZ7HO’s, apart from the name.

                      I did write an experimental driver for Thomas Sailer’s modem, but I’m not aware of anyone having any success with it. I believe the modem was originally used with FlexNet, although I think there are also Linux versions.

                      73,

                      John G8BPQ

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
                        Sorry for the confusion, the UIView crashes were with Flex32
                        which uses Sailor's soundmodem not the UZ7HO Sound modem. I
                        don't know if the problem is with UIView or Flex32 so it was
                        easier to just switch back to AGW.

                        Mike kc9doa

                        On 6 Dec 2011 at 12:53, kt4wo67@... wrote:

                        > "but lead to UI-View crashes on a
                        > regular basis."
                        >

                        > Remember.... Beta ...Report that, maybe he can/will fix the
                        > problem.
                        > But he needs to know to fix it.
                        >
                        > Trip - KT4WO

                      • Sergej
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 7, 2011
                          Vincent,

                          UZ7HO SoundModem is made in attempt to alternative
                          for SV2AGW packet engine.

                          The goals is quality reception of 300 Baud HF packet
                          and improved AX.25 protocol for connected operation.
                          But it can go solid at 1200 Baud too.

                          HB9JNX soundmodem as I'm remember can't operate proper at 300 Baud,
                          but it have different speeds and modulation types for VHF/UHF operation. Also supported in Flexnet and Linux.

                          So just another tool for sound card packet toolbox...

                          73, Sergej
                          ut1hzm
                        • Charles Brabham
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 9, 2011
                            I have utilized the HB9JNX soundmodem on HF Packet - but I had to use a feature of FBB BBS that allows special TNC parameters for each forwarding partner. I ran an HF port for my BBS on a PC-FlexNet node for a year or so. It only worked properly on connections I initiated, so no incoming connects were allowed on that setup.

                            I would like to hear more about the UZ7HO modem for connected operation at 300 baud. - Is there any chance for a virtual KISS interface like MixW offers?

                            73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 10, 2011
                              Charles,

                              > I would like to hear more about the UZ7HO modem for connected operation at 300 baud. - Is there any chance for a virtual KISS interface like MixW offers?

                              KISS was never good for radio links.
                              UZ7HO modem emulates AGW Packet Engine to interface applications.
                              WinFBB32 7.00e with TF2AGW driver can use AGWPE,
                              so UZ7HO soundmodem is also possible. Let me know if need info on configs.

                              But as BPQ32 now support UZ7HO modem in L2 mode may be time come to retire FBB BBS even from HF packet forward.

                              73, Sergej
                              ut1hzm
                            • Shawn Bush
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 10, 2011

                                I tried copying the example UZ7HO config from the BPQ32 website but the driver= UZ7HO command must of been wrong as it gave an error and wouldn't talk with soundmodem.exe

                                Shawn
                                KD8NCV

                                Charles,

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 10, 2011
                                  Did you load the test version of bpq32.dll mentioned in the earlier message? The released version doesn't include the UZ7HO drivvr.

                                  I tried copying the example UZ7HO config from the BPQ32 website but the driver= UZ7HO command must of been wrong as it gave an error and wouldn't talk with soundmodem.exe

                                  Shawn
                                  KD8NCV

                                  On Dec 10, 2011 5:29 AM, "Sergej" <rttyman@...> wrote:

                                  Charles,

                                  > I would like to hear more about the UZ7HO modem for connected operation at 300 baud. - Is there any chance for a virtual KISS interface like MixW offers?

                                  KISS was never good for radio links.
                                  UZ7HO modem emulates AGW Packet Engine to interface applications.
                                  WinFBB32 7.00e with TF2AGW driver can use AGWPE,
                                  so UZ7HO soundmodem is also possible. Let me know if need info on configs.

                                  But as BPQ32 now support UZ7HO modem in L2 mode may be time come to retire FBB BBS even from HF packet forward.

                                  73, Sergej
                                  ut1hzm

                                • charles standlee
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 10, 2011
                                    John,

                                    Can you resend the link to the test version??  When I go to the yahoo group files section all that is listed are the full release installers no test versions.

                                    73, Chuck AC5PW

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 11, 2011
                                      Repost of message from Nov 30th.

                                      UZ7 Soundcard Modem Beta Driver

                                      Andrej has released a version of his Soundmodem that supports connects on both channels (v 0.35b).

                                      I’ve updated my driver to work with it - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/bpq32.zip

                                      Updated Documentation is at http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/UZ7HODriver.htm