RE: [BPQ32] BPQ32 for us dummies

  • N9ACQ
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011

      Chuck

                      Take a close look at the examples. They should help you configure. It is the flexibility of BPQ that eliminated the capability of a BPQ for dummies. I would also suggest that you read some books or articles on packet and their nodes.  I assume that you planning on keeping BPQ up 24/7. What you need is some understanding of the parameters before trying to configure BPQ for the first time. Just by your questions I can tell that you need more study/experience with packet before configuring BPQ. OK now the BIG question, why are you I installing BOQ?

      73 Bill

      N9ACQ

    • charles standlee
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011
        I'm using XP pro with sp3, so I don't have the Vista/7 issues for now till I migrate over to 7.  I can use all the help I can get, like is the configure BPQ32 the only file I'll need to edit, another is in the BPQ console it tells me it can't open "password.bpq".

        73, Chuck AC5PW
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011
          Bill,

          For the most part I got a handle on packet, I'm just not up to speed on the interworkings of nodes and such, I understand the concept of how to make connects and how to make connects from point a via point b and such.  To answer the big question, I want to use the UZ7HO soundmodem as it seems to decode very well indeed. So unless I'm missing part of the soundmodem I'll need to use a program like BPQ to make my radio transmit.  And it seems most everyone is using BPQ to do that. And I do agree I do need more experience with packet.

          73, Chuck AC5PW
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011
            Chuck,

            You need to install the test bpq32.dll to use the Soundmodem. Download
            http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/bpq32.zip, and install the bpq32.dll in the
            WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder (NOT the BPQ32 program folder).

            The minimum config you need to get the Soundmodem working with BPQ Terminal
            is

            ; UZ7HO configuration using SIMPLE Mode

            SIMPLE

            NODECALL=G8BPQ

            INFOMSG:
            G8BPQ's Node
            ***

            PORT

            ID=UZ7HO Soundmodem
            DRIVER=UZ7HO
            CHANNEL=A
            PORTCALL=G8BPQ
            PACLEN=80

            CONFIG

            ADDR 127.0.0.1 8000 PATH C:\Program Files\bpq32\SoundModem.exe
            MAXSESSIONS=5
            UPDATEMAP

            ENDPORT

            Just replace you existing BPQ32.cfg with this, change the callsigns, install
            the Soundmodem in C:\Program Files\bpq32, and run BPQTerminal. To connect,
            type C 1 Callsign.

            The downside of this approach is that adding other BPQ32 features is more
            difficult. But it can get you going quickly, and you can go back and read
            the docs later.

            Alternatively, take the bpq32.cfg you have, look through for obvious
            changes, such as callsigns and info messages, and add the section between
            PORT and ENDPORT in place of the existing loopback port definition.

            73,
            John G8BPQ

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011

              Chuck

                              So are you going to keep the node up 24/7 or just when you need to use soundcard for packet? Are you familiar with setting FM deviation to specific levels? I wish you luck but sounds like driving the 18 wheeler to the corner store go get bread and milk. AGW with AGW Terminal will do the same thing. WinPack will also interface with AGW. Sound cards and FM do not mix as well, better off on SSB.

              73 Bill

              N9ACQ

            • charles standlee
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011
                I'm not intending to use it on vhf/uhf I have a regular tnc for that, the stations I'm seeing decoded on 14.105 are way to far from me for FM work, don't care how many hops I'd have to make, I don't recall mentioning anything about that.  I tried the soundcard on vhf years ago and it didn't work real well back then and it doesn't work very well now.

                Maybe you and I got some wires crossed somewhere.  All I want to do is some HF packet with this new soundmodem. I'm not really interested in setting up a node at this time, that will come later.

                73, Chuck AC5PW
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011

                  Chuck

                                  But BPQ is a node. So you are trying to set up a node so you can use BPQ Terminal on HF. If what I read is correct, that the modem uses the AGW interface, you could just install the UZ7HO modem and then AGW terminal or WinPack. Sounds like something that needs testing.

                  73 Bill

                  N9ACQ

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011

                    I believe both WinPack and AGWTerminal use the AGW DDE interface, not the TCP/IP interface that is supported by UZ7HO.

                    Alhough BPQ32 is normallly used as a node, with the simple config option I posted earlier it is a pretty simple way to use soundcard modes such as UZ7HO and WINMOR, either with a simple terminal, or programs that do not support them directly.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011

                      Charles

                                      Just installed UZ7HO modem and tested with AGW Terminal and AGW Monitor, all worked fine. Could not find where I could change the TCP port for Winpack so John may be correct on the DLL interface. It does make sense considering the age of Winpack. Changed TCP port to 8002, because I have AGW running for my BPQ install. TNC sharing and Multi- programs use. By the way I just checked Outpost and it also used the TCP interface and allows the port number to be changed from the AGW default of 8000. This has interesting possibilities.

                      73 Bill

                      N9ACQ

                    • charles standlee
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011
                        John,

                        I have e-mailed you direct with a question if that's ok with you.

                        73, Chuck AC5PW

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011
                          Bill,

                          I'm working on that now, or at least trying to I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to changing things around in a program.

                          73, Chuck AC5PW

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 4, 2011

                            Charles

                                            You would not have to change any port numbers if running AGW or UZ7HO only. Things get tricky when running both, and I will ignore the AGWtoBPQ program.  You really need to read the documentation for the programs you intend to install.

                            73 Bill

                            N9ACQ

                          • Lavoie
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 5, 2011
                              Hellp John,

                              Just an FYI there is a TCPIP version on sv2agw.com of AGWterm.

                              73 Mike