Disconnection Delay: Fixed Yet?

  • zl4ax
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2011
      I'm still running an early BPQ32 version. There was various comment at the time about the laboriously long wait before the BPQ32 Node responds to the 'disconnect' command. Despite the complaints, it was explained that this was a good thing, allowing all the links to terminate fully during disconnection.
      Well, I gotta say that it's STILL too slow. It's a tedious pain in the a*se, having to sit waiting for it to disconnect like this.
      So please, does anyone know if the disconnection process was speeded-up on any of the later versions? It might be worth me updating if this can be improved by a new download !
      thanks
      Paul ZL4AX-10:PUKKIE
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2011

        Paul,

        There are two ways to disconnect a session. Send a BYE (or equivalent) command to the system you are connected to, or send a disconnect command to your local node (for example using the Action/Disconnect command in BPQTerminal). With the former, the message has to get to the far end, and the response has to get back before you see the disconnect, and there isn’t much you can do about that, except install faster links. With the latter, the terminal is disconnected immediately, and the session is closed in the background.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2011
          Thanks John. Yes, I was aware of that. But at the time of the early version, there were a number of sysops who commented on here that BPQ32 took an abnormally long time to close the links (by sending 'Bye' to the other end) than the other systems that they were running.
          Although I've never run any other system, I certainly find that BPQ32 does take much longer to close down a link from the other end too.
          I agree that I can always use a terminal program to 'force disconnect' much more quickly, but that's not the point. If I used that method, (remember that ALL users of my system are connected by HAM RADIO, which is unusual these days, hi hi!) then their link will be lost, and they'll have to re-establish the radio connection. So it's not really an option.
          I can assure you this is not an issue of slow links here, it's a characteristic of BPQ32 that was pointed-out from the earliest days, and one that you discussed on this group, pointing-out that you'd designed it into the system as best practice, to ensure that all links across the network had time to fully close down. I can go back and find those messages if required.
          I personally find it to be a real nuisance, but if it hasn't been changed on any later version, then that's fine with me, I'm not complaining. I was just asking if there was any upgrade for it.
          No problem. And thanks a million for your great system, that has made it possible to build a new packet radio world here in New Zealand, with more people returning to it every week - all due to this BPQ32 gateway in Pukekohe! Nice job John, thank you.
          mni 73 Paul ZL4AX