RE: [BPQ32] Callsign Registration procedure

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2005
      Hi Tony,

      I'll leave it to Ron to comment on the setup problems, as he wrote the batch
      files and documentation.

      AGWtoBPQ does process the 'X' command, but as BPQ32 has it's callsigns
      predefined, it does nothing with the suppled call. So the callsign being
      registered should be the BPQ Nodecall. I haven't seen this cause problems
      with other apps, but maybe Digi_Ned is more fussy. If you are able to send
      me a copy of the Beta Digi_Ned (or even better a link to download it from,
      as I am currently on a boat, and internet access can be a bit dodgy), I'll
      investigate.

      Regards,

      John GM8BPQ/MM

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Hunt" <wavetel@i...> wrote:
        ..
        ..
        I could not work out what was going on with the AGWtoBPQ.exe .. Not
        much info on that that I could find.. It complained about the ocx not
        being registered. I found the BAT files for that but they wont work
        on WIN 98SE .. I copied the 2x OCX files to the WINDOWS/SYSTEM
        folder with the batch files but still refused to run.. So I used the
        RUN option from the windows start menu and typed the regsvr32
        commands in manually from there. After a while it appears to have
        registered the OCX files ok.. All good .. Maybee thats old ground but
        I found it took a while to figure out.
        ..
        ..
        Tony Hunt VK5AH

        Tony

        I have only tested BPQ32 on W2K and WXP and the registration batch
        files work fine when executed from c:\Program Files\BPQ32\. It's
        news to me that W95/W98/WME would require a different procedure.
        Here are the batch files:

        RegSvrBpqOcx.bat:
        regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx /u
        regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx

        Regcswsk32.bat:
        regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx /u
        regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx

        What's needed is a single procedure that works on platforms from W95
        thru WXP, I hope that someone on this forum has the answer and will
        share it. Lacking that Ill try to find one of the old boxes this
        weekend and do some searching for an answer.

        Ron, N5IN
      • Tony Hunt
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
          Ron .. Ive had a play with the OCX registrations on another W98SE machine ..
          Same issues..
          The batch files dont work.. You can not run REGSVR32.EXE from a dos window.
          It refuses to
          run the file comming back with "bad command or filename" .. REGSVR32.EXE is
          a hidden file in 98
          living in WINDOWS\SYSTEM .. Ive tried running the batch files from the
          windows\system folder as
          well.. You just cant run REGSVR32 from DOS.

          I dont use BPQaxip at all .

          This is what works. Other similar combinations may work also.

          config a bpqcfg.bin file the usual way.

          Copied the following to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder BPQCFG.BIN , BPQ32.DLL ,
          VB40032.DLL , BPQCtrl.ocx ,
          cswsk32.ocx

          Now use the Start Menu> Run option to run the REGSVR32 by running

          regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx /u
          then
          regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx
          then
          regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx /u
          then
          regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx

          I also found that using the brouse option to find the regsvr32.exe file on
          the RUN command line
          would create the full path of C:\Windows\system\regsvr32.exe and this was
          preferable as at times it seemed
          not to be able to find regsvr32.exe which probably depends on the Path
          setting. If Windows explorer was still
          open at the Windows\system folder then I didnt need the full path to run
          regsvr32.exe . Never seen this before
          but it seemed to hold true consistantly.

          I am not sure about the VB40032.DLL file but it was part of the hit and miss
          procedure I followed..

          The REGSVR appears to run the switch up when deregistering/registering the
          BPQCtrl.ocx and so it needed
          the Bin file and access to the BPQ32.DLL .

          Pretty messy procedure in all.. Maybee it helps you understand what is
          really going on and therefore you can
          streamline it a bit further.

          You asked what programe I was using that was running the OCX interface. I
          was thinking Ui-View32 was under
          this banner. Perhaps not..

          Can you explain what is going on in the AGWtoBPQ interface with the
          "Listening sessions" and "Application masks" settings.
          I can not make much sense of this as yet but Ive done very limited testing
          with Connected frames.

          Tony VK5AH

          > From: "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@...>
          > Subject: OCX Registration procedure problem with W98SE
          >
          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Hunt" <wavetel@i...> wrote:
          > ..
          > ..
          > I could not work out what was going on with the AGWtoBPQ.exe .. Not
          > much info on that that I could find.. It complained about the ocx not
          > being registered. I found the BAT files for that but they wont work
          > on WIN 98SE .. I copied the 2x OCX files to the WINDOWS/SYSTEM
          > folder with the batch files but still refused to run.. So I used the
          > RUN option from the windows start menu and typed the regsvr32
          > commands in manually from there. After a while it appears to have
          > registered the OCX files ok.. All good .. Maybee thats old ground but
          > I found it took a while to figure out.
          > ..
          > ..
          > Tony Hunt VK5AH
          >
          > Tony
          >
          > I have only tested BPQ32 on W2K and WXP and the registration batch
          > files work fine when executed from c:\Program Files\BPQ32\. It's
          > news to me that W95/W98/WME would require a different procedure.
          > Here are the batch files:
          >
          > RegSvrBpqOcx.bat:
          > regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx /u
          > regsvr32 BPQCtrl.ocx
          >
          > Regcswsk32.bat:
          > regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx /u
          > regsvr32 cswsk32.ocx
          >
          > What's needed is a single procedure that works on platforms from W95
          > thru WXP, I hope that someone on this forum has the answer and will
          > share it. Lacking that Ill try to find one of the old boxes this
          > weekend and do some searching for an answer.
          >
          > Ron, N5IN

        • Tony Hunt
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
            John . Ive forwarded direct to you a zipped copy of Digi_ned for Win. This
            one is Beta only at this stage but Henk is
            happy for you to mess with this .. Let me know if you have problems getting
            this and I will put it up on a web site and send you a URL if that helps.
            Its just over 1 Meg

            As I said its failing the callsign registration process. Its more likely
            that its the return response thats the problem.

            Just on this subject
            > AGWtoBPQ does process the 'X' command, but as BPQ32 has it's callsigns
            > predefined, it does nothing with the suppled call. So the callsign being
            > registered should be the BPQ Nodecall.

            I remember a while back working with Ted G8NPF on Sally and BPQ32 .
            He did some tricks with the RAW command (going from memory) to send unproto
            frames out with a callsign which was
            different to the Node Call. I dont understand the RAW command but I get the
            impression you can
            construct frames from the ground up with paths and callsigns etc. Perhaps
            this is an answer to being
            able to Register a callsign which does not match the NodeCall and send
            frames out with it ?

            Happy sailing John

            Tony VK5AH

            > I'll leave it to Ron to comment on the setup problems, as he wrote the
            batch
            > files and documentation.
            >
            > AGWtoBPQ does process the 'X' command, but as BPQ32 has it's callsigns
            > predefined, it does nothing with the suppled call. So the callsign being
            > registered should be the BPQ Nodecall. I haven't seen this cause problems
            > with other apps, but maybe Digi_Ned is more fussy. If you are able to send
            > me a copy of the Beta Digi_Ned (or even better a link to download it from,
            > as I am currently on a boat, and internet access can be a bit dodgy), I'll
            > investigate.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > John GM8BPQ/MM

          • Ron Stordahl
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2005
              Tony

              Your findings regarding REGSVR32.EXE in W98SE are very helpful. I was
              not able to find a W98SE machine, but I did find a WME machine, and was
              able to duplicate your findings. I have also been searching on
              Microsofts site and so far have not come across anything that would
              indicate that REGSVR32.EXE cannot be involked from a batch file. I
              would have expected this would have been mentioned somewhere, as it
              appears to be the case. So I am still researching this matter and if
              nothing else will have to come up with instructions on how to do this
              procedure 'by hand' on W95/W98/WME machines. Of course if someone can
              find where Microsoft explains this it would be nice!

              As to 'Listening Sesions' and 'Application Mask' in AGWtoBPQ.exe here is
              a summary:

              Application Mask is a bit mask applicable to the parm APPLICATIONS= in
              bpqcfg.txt. The only non zero value currently functional is 1, which
              corresponds to the first positional parm in APPLICATIONS=, which
              corresponds to the 'BBS' user application (and the call BBSCALL=). An
              example would be AR-Cluster, wherein the first positional parm would
              sensibly be 'DX'. That is what you will find in the provided bpqcfg.txt
              file. Values higher than 1 will require further enhancements to BPQ32
              (you would need a BBSCALL1 a BBSCALL2). A nice enhancement for the
              future, but for now defaulting this to 1 seems reasonable to me.

              Listening Sessions is the maximum number of incoming connections. The
              total number available is as I recall 63, however some are needed for
              outgoing connections and apparently a couple for internal use (I don't
              know the details on that). So I should probably have recommended a
              larger number than 10, such as 32 (which I am pulling out of the air).
              I think Ill change my set up to a higher number tomorrow.

              Don't think Ill get much done on the REGSVR32 issue this weekend.....

              Ron, N5IN