RF node operation

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2011
      Normally my nodes list is broadcast over the axip link but if the internet is not available at another site only rf ports, are there settings to route the broadcast over RF to and from the other station?
      Is Mapping required.. I'm learning as I go. Would like to establish links to this new bpq site but it's going to be awhile before any internet is installed.
      Thanks Rick N1RCW
    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2011

        Hi Rick yes it’s a per port setting.

        Quality 0 halts all node broadcasts on a given port

        Try Quality 192 for your RF port that you wish to have nodes broadcasts..

        73 jerry

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2011
          Hi Jerry Thanks for the reply,so I'm assuming that both nodes will need the Quality setting turned on to create the link?

          > Hi Rick yes it's a per port setting.
          >

          > Quality 0 halts all node broadcasts on a given port
          >

          > Try Quality 192 for your RF port that you wish to have nodes broadcasts..
          >

          > 73 jerry

        • Jeff - WA4ZKO
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2011
            If you have both inet and RF links between the two sites make sure you set a slightly higher port/route quality on the inet port compared to the RF port. This will allow normal/day-to-day traffic to flow over the AXIP/AXUDP link. Then if the AXIP/AXUDP route fails, it will switch (fail-over) to the RF route.

            Probably wise to have a slightly lower than normal retry value on your AXIP/AXUDP port to help speed up the fail-over mechanism.

            Port quality numbers are pretty much arbitrary, but it's wise to not deviate too far from what your locals are using. If you get too much node broadcast load on an RF port, you can raise MINQUAL on that port to clean it up some.

            I typically use a quality of 180 on 2m/440 1.2k user ports, 192 on 9.6k or dedicated 1.2k backbone ports, then around 200 on AXIP/AXUDP ports. This works well and not a big deviation from the defaults.

            73
            Jeff
            WA4ZKO
            "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
            Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <n1rcw@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jerry Thanks for the reply,so I'm assuming that both nodes will need the Quality setting turned on to create the link?
            >
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry" <n9lya@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Rick yes it's a per port setting.
            > >

            > > Quality 0 halts all node broadcasts on a given port
            > >

            > > Try Quality 192 for your RF port that you wish to have nodes broadcasts..
            > >

            > > 73 jerry

          • Rick
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2011
              Hi Jeff, Thanks for the info.. Right now the site that I want to send node info to has no internet access so I just came back from the node site and turned on the node broadcast on RF for that port. It's now linking with the other station and it is showing the node info.. Works great! Hopefully inet will be in place down the road and I can switch over to that but for now at least it gives the users of that site access to the other nodes and chat network. I'm learning as I go.. Hmm Maybe a 440 link between the 2 sites might work pretty good for the node linking..Thanks again.. 73's Rick..