BPQ 101

  • Art Marshall W1FJI
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011

      Hello, my name is Art and my call is W1FJI.

      I am not new to packet, but I am very new to BPQ32.

      I downloaded BPQ32, 5.2.1.3  20111018 and installed it on my XP computer.

      I  have done the configure BPQ32 and have performed the loopback test,

      which seemed to be successful.

      So what do I want to do with it.

      I am currently running Winpack with AGW and a sound card interface.

      I would like to use BPQ32 to get out to the rest of the world using one port on the internet and one RF port.

      I guess the next step would be to continue reading the what seems like miles of docs and to try to configure BPQ32 to allow me to do that.

      And I am in touch with a ham in south Florida who will help me get onto their network.

      I hope you folks won’t mind a few questions from time to time. Like where do I find this or that.

      Tks, 73’s,  Art w1fji

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2011

        Hi Art,

        Welcome to the fun and frustrating world that is BPQ32!

        It is worth finding your way round the docs, but to help you on your way:

        To link your AGWPE/Soundcard setup to BPQ32, you need a BPQtoAGW port –www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQtoAGW.htm.

        To link to other BPQ32 nodes over the Internet, use an BPQAXIP port - www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQAXIP.htm

        To run Winpack with BPQ32, use BPQHostModes.exe - www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Host%20Mode%20Emulator.htm

        Good Luck!

        73,

        John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
          Hey Art! When you get the Chat program up and running you will find a good bunch of BPQ Guru's that can help you with setup and operation..I've been using BPQ for about a year and John and the gang has helped me out many times.. Really good solid program and it just keeps working!
          I'll be around if I can help out..Quite a few of us are new at this but once you get the hang of the cfg file it all comes together..

          73's Rick.. N1RCW..

        • ke7ugt@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
            Hey Art see you on the chat mode soon 73 Rick ke7ugt

            Hey Art! When you get the Chat program up and running you will find a good bunch of BPQ Guru's that can help you with setup and operation..I've been using BPQ for about a year and John and the gang has helped me out many times.. Really good solid program and it just keeps working!
            I'll be around if I can help out..Quite a few of us are new at this but once you get the hang of the cfg file it all comes together..

            73's Rick.. N1RCW..

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Art Marshall W1FJI" <w1fji@...> wrote:

            > Hello, my name is Art and my call is W1FJI.
            >
            > I am not new to packet, but I am very new to BPQ32.
            >

            > I downloaded BPQ32, 5.2.1.3 20111018 and installed it on my XP computer.
            >
            > I have done the configure BPQ32 and have performed the loopback test,
            >
            > which seemed to be successful.
            >

            > So what do I want to do with it.
            >
            > I am currently running Winpack with AGW and a sound card interface.
            >
            > I would like to use BPQ32 to get out to the rest of the world using one port
            > on the internet and one RF port.
            >

            > I guess the next step would be to continue reading the what seems like miles
            > of docs and to try to configure BPQ32 to allow me to do that.
            >
            > And I am in touch with a ham in south Florida who will help me get onto
            > their network.
            >

            > I hope you folks won't mind a few questions from time to time. Like where do
            > I find this or that.
            >

            > Tks, 73's, Art w1fji

          • DEC

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011

                Hi ya  Dave,

                Yep that was when I ran a W0RLI BBS with an HF port and two VHF ports out of Scottsdale Az.

                I haven’t played with packet in some 20 years and I have lots of catching up to do.

                Great to see your call and that you are still active.

                Ok, enough of this, I have to get back to the reading and trying to understand everything all over again.

                This ole brain at 73 needs lots of help.

                C U soon, 73,  Art  W1FJI

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011

                  John,

                  Thanks for the information.  I am currently looking at  BPQ_AGWPE_LARGE.

                  I have that on the XP computer and your instructions on my laptop going back and forth.

                  Time to get back to it.

                  Tks  agn, 73,  Art W1FJI