Re: DRats with BPQ32???

  • PD0SNK
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 30, 2011
      d-rats works under bpq32 with agwtobpq.
      i've tried it here and works ok.
      only problem is with d-rats you only can use one port of bpq.

      also you could try direct a kiss tnc with d-rats or a virtual kiss port.

      Danny PD0SNK

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Andre <pe1rdw@...> wrote:

      > Op 29-10-2011 18:12, Bill Vodall schreef:
      > > So???
      > >
      > > Has anybody tried hooking DRats to BPQ32?
      > >
      > > DRats supposedly supports some basic legacy AX25/Kiss TNC interfacing.
      > > BPQ32 has addons and hooks to provide ever interface known and
      > > probably a couple we don't know.
      > >
      > > It seems not too far fetched to be able to hook DRats to what it
      > > thinks is a TNC being presented from BPQ32. I'm going to try that
      > > real soon now and was wondering if anybody else has gone down that
      > > road and might know where it leads...
      > >
      > > Thanks and 73,
      > > Bill - WA7NWP
      > >

      > I have been debating doing it but never got around to it
      >
      > 73 Andre PE1RDW

    • ae5me
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15, 2014

        Know this is an old thread, but I am looking to use agwtobpq to route the D-RATS through BPQ to my TNCs.  How exactly do you configure that to work that way?  I understand the agwtobpq acting as an AGWPE server and connecting the D-RATS software to that.  What I don't understand is how to get the agwtobpq portion to handle the packets that would be going in and out on another port in the BPQ32 software (my TNCs).  I see how agwtobpq ties to the "application" side, but is that where it gets tied to another port?

        Realize my question is for using D-RATS, but I assume the same would be true for UIView and other software that use AGWPE ports to connect to soundmodems.

        Thanks in advance for your assistance!

        Best Regards,

        Jeff Scoville AE5ME

      • Bill Vodall
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 15, 2014
          This is new to me... It looks like D-Rats has had support for AGWPE
          for some time.

          http://n4jtc.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/d-rats-not-just-for-d-stars/

          As Jeff noted - that looks like it will be possible to hook D-Rats to
          BPQ through the agwpe-shim.

          Lots of potential there!!! I've been wanting to add DRats to the
          RPI that's running LINBPQ but haven't due to the lack of connection
          between the applications. Can't use that for an excuse any more...

          73
          Bill, WA7NWP

          On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 6:50 AM, <ae5me@...> wrote:

          > Know this is an old thread, but I am looking to use agwtobpq to route the D-RATS through BPQ to my TNCs. How exactly do you configure that to work that way? I understand the agwtobpq acting as an AGWPE server and connecting the D-RATS software to that. What I don't understand is how to get the agwtobpq portion to handle the packets that would be going in and out on another port in the BPQ32 software (my TNCs). I see how agwtobpq ties to the "application" side, but is that where it gets tied to another port?
          >

          > Realize my question is for using D-RATS, but I assume the same would be true for UIView and other software that use AGWPE ports to connect to soundmodems.
          >

          > Thanks in advance for your assistance!
          >
          > Best Regards,
          >
          > Jeff Scoville AE5ME
        • ae5me
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2014
            Bill,

            Have you interfaced UIView32 to BPQ32 using the AGWPE TCP "hook" in BPQ32?  I would assume the D-RATS setup would be similar.  I've got the D-RATS to BPQ32 link figured out.  How do I get that to go back out on another port (TNC or otherwise)?  That is the portion that has me stumped.  If you have already made UIView32 work with BPQ32 on UIView32, then you had to make that portion work.

            Best Regards,
            Jeff Scoville AE5ME

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2014

              Jeff,

              The AGWPE interface includes both a connected mode and datagram (UI) interface. Connections are handled by the BPQ Node, but datagrams are transmitted over your BPQ radio ports. D-Rats seems to use the datagram interface. The AGW protocol packets include a port number, which is mapped to the BPQ ports. Unfortunately I can't see any place in D-Rats to specify the port number, so I can only get it to send on one port  (Port 1). If you define your TNC port as port 1 in BPQ it should work.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2014

                I've had another look at D-Rats. and as it supports a KISS TNC interface the simplest way to connect it via BPQ may be to define a virtual COM port to BPQ. connect it to D-Rats, and use the BPQ crossport digi to send packets out on your radio interface.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 18, 2014
                  John,

                  Thank you for your assistance.  Setting up the virtual port seems pretty straightforward.  I am guessing the channel "A" in the settings does not cause the virtual port to be connected to port 1 automatically, which is why there is a need for the  "crossport" digi to be added to the configuration, as well.  I am guessing the channel designator only works on the AGWPE setup to automatically direct the packets to the appropriate RF port (channel "A" goes 1, channel "B" goes to 2, etc.).

                  Should I be using DIGIMAP or BRIDGE configurations under the APRS section?  Or am I heading in the wrong direction?  I tried both tonight with no luck.

                  Best Regards,
                  Jeff Scoville AE5ME

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 19, 2014

                    Jeff,

                    Channel is used for multiport TNCs like the KAM or UZ7HO Soundmodem.

                    The DIGIPORT and BRIDGE are for APRS only. If you only want to use one BPQ port you can use DIGIPORT, which will cause digipeated frames to go on the specified port. So if, for example, your RF Port was port 1 and your Virtual COM port was port 3, in the port 1 config you would have DIGIPORT=3 and in the port 3 config DIGIPORT=1. If you want to be able to use more than one BPQ port, you can use XDIGI, which allows you to use different digi calls to go to different ports. See

                    http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQCFGFile.html##xdigi

                    for details

                    73, John

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 19, 2014

                      John,

                      Thanks again for the help.  Turns out that the setup for adding a "digi" to the UI packets of D-RATS has a bug in it, so it is pretty much UI packets with path of D-RATS (no digi).  Could see the D-RATS packets going in to the virtual port I set up, but they would not cross over to the other port because there was no digi callsign in the path.

                      I'm sure I could use the AGWPE side and route to Port 1 (by default) and everything would work fine, but the above issue knocked out the going to a virtual COM port.

                      Learned a lot of neat features in the process, so all is still good.  Appreciate your assistance and stability of the BPQ32 platform.  Makes experimentation fun!