tnc3 ??

  • PD0SNK
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
      hi,
      is there anyone using tnc3s with bpq?
      How should one configure a port with this tnc and can bpq do slip to talk to the tnc3 ?

      Ps. Can we set a broadcast from in the cfg of bpq for remote systems over kiss or axudp like in xrouter ?

      73 Danny pd0snk @ pi8snk
    • ke7ugt@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
        Hi SNK  are you asking about a Kantronics TNC 3Plus  if you are grear they work super let me know and I will get you to the Ham that set me up. All I do is feed it electrons!  73etc Rick ke7ugt

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
          I think he's asking about the Symtek TNC3s units. I'm not familiar with them myself.

          BTW, the KPC3+ units you mentioned make a fine stand-alone APRS digi or mailbox, but their well documented KISS issues/bugs make them a poor choice for KISS operation on a busy or critical channel. The KPC3 (non-plus) units are a better choice out of the Kantronics 1.2k single port gear. With v8.2 firmware they'll even do XKISS for you.

          73
          Jeff
          WA4ZKO
          "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
          Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, ke7ugt@... wrote:

          > Hi SNK  are you asking about a Kantronics TNC 3Plus  if you are grear they work super let me know and I will get you to the Ham that set me up. All I do is feed it electrons!  73etc Rick ke7ugt

        • Andre
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
            More likely Danny talks about the symec tnc3s, a very advanced multiport tnc with exchangeable modems up to 1.2 megabit.
            I suspect the best way to interface with it is multiport kiss, or install 3net (xnet for the tnc3s) and use normal kiss to links between BPQ32 and the tnc

            73 Andre PE1RDW

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
              Hi,

              The next release of BPQ32 will drop support for a couple of features:

              1 Use of separate config files for drivers (eg AXIP, Pactor, etc). I have recommended having all config information in BPQ32.cfg for about a year, and I feel that the effort needed to support both systems is no longer justified.

              2 The externel Telnet Server (BPQTelnetServer.exe) will no longer load.  A Telnet Server had been built into BPQ32.dll for over a year, and the old version is no longer maintained.

              If you are still using either of these features, I suggest you update as soon as possible, so you will be ready for the next release. If you have any problems, email me your config files off-list and I'll do my best to help.

            • PD0SNK
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
                yes its the symec tnc3 but i know kantronics has the same type of tnc.
                but i think the kantronics works different then the tnc3s.

                i've overthought it to use xnet at the pe1sde system but best way would be bpq32 to keep the system as simple as possible.

                would be nice if john implented slip link to drive the tnc3s as in Xnet.

                But if anyone has sugestions how to use bpq with the tnc3 pse let me know

                ax25: pd0snk@pi8snk.#frl.nld.eu

              • ke7ugt@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
                  I don't know maybe ask Hank or John W. 73 Rick

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
                    Danny,

                    This suggested the TNC3 can run KISS (from http://www.symek.com/g/tnc3s.html)

                    Selectable Software

                    The TNC3-EPROM contains several different programs, which may be selected by a DIL-Switch on the rear side of the TNC3. Available today are Turbo-Firmware, System and Modem-test-program, TNC3-Mailbox (Mailbox+Firmware, english and german), KISS/SMACK, TNC3-operating system, Hayes-mode-Firmware.

                    I dont understand the question about broadcast.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 27, 2011
                      I have completed my conversion to the new configuration and renamed the 3 secondary configuration files to backup. (AXIP, KAMPACTOR & AEAPACTOR)
                      A couple of notes for those going through the same dreaded conversion....

                      Basically, it was a copy and paste operation from the secondary config files to the main file.
                      Add the word CONFIG after the last line of the port config and pasted the secondary configuration after that.
                      Where the first line of the old configuration had "PORT 1 BBS" or whichever port # it was, change that line to "APPL BBS".
                      I am now up and running. Everything seems to be running as well as it was before.

                      73
                      Dave WB2HVF/AFA2HV

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 28, 2011
                        HI John and others.

                        i know about the kiss mode of the tnc3s but the problem lies in the two ports.

                        i think it will tx on both ports at the same time with one channel.
                        the tnc3 has 1k2 and 9k6 modems in it and it would be nice if it could be split up in two ports also in bpq32.cfg like channel=a and channel=b or channel=1 or 2.

                        what i ment john with the broadcast is when a frame is received to a particular adres say fbb to mail can we set this to be digied and vica versa.

                        in xrouter you can set in the port section:
                        broadcastfrom=aa1aaa
                        broadcast=mail

                        when a user sends a unproto request to the node this wel be digied to that call over for example the axudp port to a remote bbs.

                        what also would be great is an option to stop the mail beacons from fbb 7.01a on a aprs port or a link only port.

                        now fbb sends it unproto frames to al all ports and it does not matter on what port the unproto request is received.

                        73 danny pd0snk @ pi8snk

                        > Danny,
                        >
                        > This suggested the TNC3 can run KISS (from
                        > <http://www.symek.com/g/tnc3s.html> http://www.symek.com/g/tnc3s.html)
                        >
                        > Selectable Software
                        >

                        > The TNC3-EPROM contains several different programs, which may be selected by
                        > a DIL-Switch on the rear side of the TNC3. Available today are
                        > Turbo-Firmware, System and Modem-test-program, TNC3-Mailbox
                        > (Mailbox+Firmware, english and german), KISS/SMACK, TNC3-operating system,
                        > Hayes-mode-Firmware.
                        >
                        > I dont understand the question about broadcast.

                      • Andre
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 28, 2011
                          Op 28-10-2011 23:24, PD0SNK schreef:
                          > HI John and others.
                          >
                          > i know about the kiss mode of the tnc3s but the problem lies in the two ports.
                          >
                          > i think it will tx on both ports at the same time with one channel.
                          > the tnc3 has 1k2 and 9k6 modems in it and it would be nice if it could be split up in two ports also in bpq32.cfg like channel=a and channel=b or channel=1 or 2.
                          isn't the kiss driver multiport compatable in otherwords already
                          suporting channel=a and channel=b?

                          73 Andre PE1RDW
                        • PD0SNK
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 29, 2011
                            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Andre <pe1rdw@...> wrote:

                            > Op 28-10-2011 23:24, PD0SNK schreef:
                            > > HI John and others.
                            > >
                            > > i know about the kiss mode of the tnc3s but the problem lies in the two ports.
                            > >
                            > > i think it will tx on both ports at the same time with one channel.
                            > > the tnc3 has 1k2 and 9k6 modems in it and it would be nice if it could be split up in two ports also in bpq32.cfg like channel=a and channel=b or channel=1 or 2.
                            > isn't the kiss driver multiport compatable in otherwords already
                            > suporting channel=a and channel=b?

                            Hi Andre.

                            yes but the problem lies in if the hardware supports this function in bpq.

                            maybe a mail to symek would give some info .

                            > 73 Andre PE1RDW

                            Danny.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 29, 2011
                              RE: [BPQ32] Re: tnc3 ??

                              Danny,

                              It looks like the TNC3 uses the "Standard" method of using the upper 4 bits of the KISS command byte to select the channel

                              From http://www.symek.com/down/tnc3soft-g.pdf

                              As the KISS-mode in most cases is used in conjunction with NOS, here are examples for addressing the
                              two modem ports. The TNC3 will fetch the required "port number" from the upper nibble of the KISStype-
                              Bytes of KISS-protocol. To enable this feature, proceed as follows:

                              So you need to define two KISS ports to BPQ32, with the same IOADDR, but one CHANNEL=A and the other CHANNEL= B.

                              BPQ32 does not have any selective DIGI capability at the moment.

                              WFBB/WFBB32  will only send beacons to ports which have an UNPROTO value set. But removing the UNPROTO will stop all beacons, not just those from FBB

                              With WinFBB, you can specify which ports the beacons are sent on (using the FBBUIMASK registry parameter).

                              ________________________________

                              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> , "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

                              > Danny,
                              >
                              > This suggested the TNC3 can run KISS (from
                              > <http://www.symek.com/g/tnc3s.html> http://www.symek.com/g/tnc3s.html)
                              >
                              > Selectable Software
                              >

                              > The TNC3-EPROM contains several different programs, which may be selected by
                              > a DIL-Switch on the rear side of the TNC3. Available today are
                              > Turbo-Firmware, System and Modem-test-program, TNC3-Mailbox
                              > (Mailbox+Firmware, english and german), KISS/SMACK, TNC3-operating system,
                              > Hayes-mode-Firmware.
                              >
                              > I dont understand the question about broadcast.

                            • PD0SNK
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 30, 2011
                                Thanks John for the info !!!
                                I will get to work with the tnc3 :)
                                wil let you know if it works.

                                tnx from me and pe1sde.

                                73 Danny pd0snk

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 5, 2012
                                  Hi,

                                  The next version  of BPQ32 should be released in the next day or two. This will drop support for a couple of features: