Location of BaseDir in BPQMailChat Installations

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011

      Hi folks,

      BPQMailChat uses the BaseDir configuration parameter to locate its data files. Although there was a reason for this when the program was first written, it does sometimes cause confusion to new users, and I’d like to standardize on using directory BPQMailChat under the directory containing the BPQ32 config files (which is normally C:\Program Files\BPQ32\BPQMailChat, at least on systems prior to Vista). If anyone has their BaseDir anywhere other than directly under the directory containing their bpq32.cfg, could you let me know, so I can get an idea of many people would be affected by this change.

      Thanks,

      John G8BPQ

    • Jeff - WA4ZKO
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
        As long as the installer/program does not make assumptions about where the BPQ32 folder ITSELF is located I don't see any issues on any of my systems.

        Example: Many folks, to make life easier under Vista/Win7, are installing to the root of C drive (eg c:\BPQ32\ or maybe C:\Ham\BPQ32 and so on). In these cases the BBS folder is still located "under" BPQ32\ (eg c:\BPQ32\BPQMailChat\ ). If I'm interpreting your intended changes correctly, this would NOT present a problem.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO
        "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
        Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM

        > Hi folks,
        >

        > BPQMailChat uses the BaseDir configuration parameter to locate its data
        > files. Although there was a reason for this when the program was first
        > written, it does sometimes cause confusion to new users, and I'd like to
        > standardize on using directory BPQMailChat under the directory containing
        > the BPQ32 config files (which is normally C:\Program
        > Files\BPQ32\BPQMailChat, at least on systems prior to Vista). If anyone has
        > their BaseDir anywhere other than directly under the directory containing
        > their bpq32.cfg, could you let me know, so I can get an idea of many people
        > would be affected by this change.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > John G8BPQ

      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
          The new installer will in the case of an existing install offer the existing folder(s) as the default location(s), however if you wish you can change to pretty much wherever you wish.  The big difference is in the case of a new install you are offered the Microsoft recommended location for the program (essentially c:\program files\bpq32 - adjusted for 32 bit or 64 bit systems) and a separate location for application data.  No more UAC popups.

          So you don't have to change a thing if you don't want to.  Just update keeping current locations.

          Ron