Equipment and software question

  • westrob81
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
      Hello -

      I would like to know if these would work together with BPQ32?

      ICOM IC-7200
      Yaesu FT-8800R
      KAM-XL All-Mode Wireless Modem

      Also, can the software be configured to control scanning of the IC-7200?
      The computer would be XP(SP3), P4, 512MB for BPQ32 installation.

      73, Rob W1AVK / AFA1RW
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011

        Rob,

        They should all work fine, including scanning with the 7200. The 7200 is particularly convenient for sound card modes like WINMOR, as with it’s built in soundcard and USB interface a single USB cable carries both the audio and scan control signals. But it should work just as well for packet/pactor using the HF port on the KAM.

        73,

        John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011

          Hi folks,

          BPQMailChat uses the BaseDir configuration parameter to locate its data files. Although there was a reason for this when the program was first written, it does sometimes cause confusion to new users, and I’d like to standardize on using directory BPQMailChat under the directory containing the BPQ32 config files (which is normally C:\Program Files\BPQ32\BPQMailChat, at least on systems prior to Vista). If anyone has their BaseDir anywhere other than directly under the directory containing their bpq32.cfg, could you let me know, so I can get an idea of many people would be affected by this change.

          Thanks,

          John G8BPQ

        • Jeff - WA4ZKO
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
            As long as the installer/program does not make assumptions about where the BPQ32 folder ITSELF is located I don't see any issues on any of my systems.

            Example: Many folks, to make life easier under Vista/Win7, are installing to the root of C drive (eg c:\BPQ32\ or maybe C:\Ham\BPQ32 and so on). In these cases the BBS folder is still located "under" BPQ32\ (eg c:\BPQ32\BPQMailChat\ ). If I'm interpreting your intended changes correctly, this would NOT present a problem.

            73
            Jeff
            WA4ZKO
            "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
            Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM

            > Hi folks,
            >

            > BPQMailChat uses the BaseDir configuration parameter to locate its data
            > files. Although there was a reason for this when the program was first
            > written, it does sometimes cause confusion to new users, and I'd like to
            > standardize on using directory BPQMailChat under the directory containing
            > the BPQ32 config files (which is normally C:\Program
            > Files\BPQ32\BPQMailChat, at least on systems prior to Vista). If anyone has
            > their BaseDir anywhere other than directly under the directory containing
            > their bpq32.cfg, could you let me know, so I can get an idea of many people
            > would be affected by this change.
            >

            > Thanks,
            >
            > John G8BPQ

          • Ron Stordahl
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
              The new installer will in the case of an existing install offer the existing folder(s) as the default location(s), however if you wish you can change to pretty much wherever you wish.  The big difference is in the case of a new install you are offered the Microsoft recommended location for the program (essentially c:\program files\bpq32 - adjusted for 32 bit or 64 bit systems) and a separate location for application data.  No more UAC popups.

              So you don't have to change a thing if you don't want to.  Just update keeping current locations.

              Ron