Re: [BPQ32] New install of BPQ: mailchat problems

  • Ken Jacobs
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2011
      Hi Jim,

      You cannot run RMS Express at the same time as you run Winmor TNC for BPQ. They may be sharing the same port number, so RMS Express will conflict with BPQ trying to use that port. You are best to go download the WINMOR TNC from the Winmor yahoo group. Extract that to a Winmor TNC folder in BPQ. You may want to change the default port number of Winmor TNC for BPQ so that if RMS Express is started, it does not conflict with the winmor running on BPQ.

      Hope that gets you moving forward again....

      Ken KD6PGI

      On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Jim Kusznir <jkusznir@...> wrote:

      I've now managed to get a decent set of basic functionality running.

      I can send and receive messages via RMS or peer to peer with airmail users. I think I got this pretty well working / figured out.

      My issue presently is with the winmor stuff.  I've got RMS Express installed, and its able to start the winmor TNC and things look all ok with it.  However, when I configured bpq to do winmor, it tries to start it; I do get the winmor connection monitor window pop up, but I also get a nice "windows error reporting" message about the winmor TNC.  If I double-click the TNC myself, I also get that.  yet, RMS express works.  I tried copying the exact TNC from rms express over to the winmor folder in bpq, but no luck.

      Is there some magic / is this a known issue?

      Thanks!
      --Jim

      On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Jim Kusznir <jkusznir@...> wrote:
      That was in fact my issue, thanks!
      --Jim

      On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

      Jim,

      You need to go through each tab in the main config dialog, and save it, even if you haven’t made any changes to that tab.

      73,

      John G8BPQ

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2011

        Jim,

        The WINMOR TNC needs a few support .dll files to work. Either do as Ken suggested and download the TNC installation, or simply copy your whole RMS Express folder to your WINMOR folder. You’ll get more files that you need, but that won’t cause any problems. If you are running Vista or WIN7, don’t install the TNC under C:\Program Files.

        Using a different port number is also good advice. I use 8502. Either edit the WINMOR TNC.ini file and change the TCP Control Port =8500 line, or run the TNC manually, and use the Basic Setup dialog to change the port. You can then run BPQ32 and RMS Express at the same time using the same sound card, and test locally before going on air. You need to loop TX and RX audio. If you are using a SignaLink you can loop SPKR and MON. Some internal sound cards have an internal loop setting (on my machines called Stereo Mix “What you hear”).

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2011
            Jim,

            Rick KN6KB

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 19, 2012
              I'm just learning about winmor, what would be the purpose of the below info?
              Thanks

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 19, 2012
                Don,

                The rest of the sentence explains the purpose - and test locally before going on air.

                You can can check out your BPQ32 WINMOR installation by connecting to/from it using RMS Express. Audio ls looped, either internally within the soundard, or externally, so you can test without needing two radios (and soundcards).

                73, John

                href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim
                > Kusznir
                > Sent: 30 September 2011 22:51
                > To:
                Re: [BPQ32] New install of BPQ: mailchat problems

                > I've now managed to get a decent set of basic
                functionality running.

                > I can send and receive messages via RMS
                or peer to peer with airmail users.
                > I think I got this pretty well
                working / figured out.

                > My issue presently is with the winmor
                stuff. I've got RMS Express
                > installed, and its able to start the winmor
                TNC and things look all ok with
                > it. However, when I configured bpq to do
                winmor, it tries to start it; I do
                > get the winmor connection monitor
                window pop up, but I also get a nice
                > "windows error reporting" message
                about the winmor TNC. If I double-click
                > the TNC myself, I also get that.
                yet, RMS express works. I tried copying
                > the exact TNC from rms express
                over to the winmor folder in bpq, but no
                > luck.
                >
                > Is there
                some magic / is this a known issue?

                > Thanks!

                --Jim

                > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Jim Kusznir
                <jkusznir@...> wrote:

                > That was in fact my issue,
                thanks!
                > --Jim
                >

                > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at
                12:03 PM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > Jim,
                >

                > You need to go through
                each tab in the main config dialog, and save it, even
                > if you haven't
                made any changes to that tab.

                > 73,
                >
                > John G8BPQ
                >

                > _____

                winlink in our region (Eastern Washington
                > state), and in the past I've
                always found the existing winlink
                > software programs insufficient as
                they're always missing a piece here
                > or there. After reading more about
                bpq and bpqmail, it looks like
                > that might actually be the "silver
                bullet" to the winlink problem. as
                > such, I'm trying to set that up now
                (Yea, I know...last minute).

                > My goal is to get:
                >
                > BPQ with 1 packet port (TNC)
                > 1 winmor port
                > BPQmail
                running for minimum 1 user
                > That one user will be accessed over local
                network with POP/SMTP on
                > other laptops.
                > BPQmail will allow for
                delivery of messages to WL2K infrastructure, or
                > when a specific route is
                set up, direct Peer to Peer.

                > So, to this end, I'm working on
                step one: getting packet working.
                > I've got a basic BPQmail node running,
                and I'm able to connect to it
                > and connect to other nodes through it,
                make connections from the
                > BPQterminal, etc. Its announcing nodes as I
                expect, and all that
                > appears to be working correctly.

                So, now I'm trying to get bpqmail minimally functional. I've launched

                it, and it alerts me that the config is incomplete, so I click OK,
                > enter
                all the config data, and try and continue. It then alerts me
                > again that
                config is incomplete, and opens the config when I click OK.
                > the BBS Call
                is highlighted (WI7EOC). I've got BBS Call set to
                > WI7EOC, SYSOP call to
                WI7EOC, H Route set to #EWA.WA.US.NOAM, Base
                > Directory left to default
                (which is accurate), BBS Appl Number 1, BBS
                > Streams 3, and port numbers
                for pop3 and smtp port with "enable remote
                > access" checked. FBB UI
                unchecked, refuse bulls unchecked, and nntp
                > port 0.

                also noticed that anytime I press "tab" in the config window boxes,
                > it
                takes me back to BBS Call and highlights everything in it.

                > So,
                I don't know what its complaining about...How do I get it to
                > accept my
                config?

                > --Jim

              • N9ACQ
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 19, 2012

                  Don

                                  I run WINMOIR from BPQ but that is to give Paclink WINMOR capability. It also allows me to shift to having a WINMOR gateway via RMS Packet/RMS Relay. With RMS Express it is either one it the other as two instances of WINMOT TNC cannot use the same soundcard.

                  73 Bill

                  N9ACQ