RE: [BPQ32] Re: BPQ32_410Beta 19Feb2007

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22 3:16 AM
      If you only run programs using bpq32.dll from the BPQ32 directory, then bpq32.dll can stay there. But for most users, they will be running software that uses bpq32.dll from other places - eg FBB, UIView 32 and AR-Cluster, so must move bpq32.dll to a system directory. It will work in either system or system32.

      I think Ron uses both UIVIew and AR-Cluster, but configues them to use the AGWPE interface, and runs AGWtoBPQ. So all his BPQ software is loaded from the bpq32 directroy, and he gets away with leaving bpq32.dll there.

      Incidentally, the latest version will warn you if you try to run it from more than one directory.

      Regards,
      John G8BPQ

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22 5:57 AM
        Opps...I should have known this! I did consider this question and so I
        tested it by putting an older version in the systems directory and bpq
        picked the newer version in the user directory, but you have explained
        why that happened. When I get back Ill create a simple installer that
        takes care of this, until I can design the full installer that I am
        contemplating which considers every possible install option yet is easy
        to use by newcomers.

        In the mean time here is where the user should place a copy of the
        latest bpq32.dll:

        W95/98/ME in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
        WNT/2K in C:\WINNT\system32
        WXP/2003Server in C:\WINDOWS\system32.

        John mentioned below that you can use system instead of system32 in some
        cases, I suppose the search path looks in system32 first, but just to be
        sure make sure for WNT/W2K/WXP that you have it in system32 and not system.

        Since you have run the zip unpack with replace, you will also have the
        new version in your install directory..which can do no harm.

        Ill be skiing today at Steamboat Springs Colorado. First day out this
        season so I should be a wreck by the end of the day!

        Ron, N5IN

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22 7:43 AM
          Ron (and others!)

          "Since you have run the zip unpack with replace, you will also have the
          new version in your install directory..which can do no harm."

          Yes it will do harm! All BPQ32 programs must run bpq32.dll from the same place, not just copies of the same version.. So you need to move the dll from the install diectory to the system directory, not copy it.