BPQ32_410Beta 19Feb2007

  • MIchael Melnik Sr.
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2007
      Ron & John,

      I installed the latest release of BPQ more then 48 hrs a go
      no problems with it so far i haven't had a chance to add a
      second application, the first appl is a connection to Ron's
      N5IN DXC, the second Appl will take AGWPE out as the TNC'S
      controller, and use the AGWtoBPQ.exe for Telpac, AGWPE
      is just one more program not needed, unless one uses a
      sound card, then AGWPE can still be used in front of BPQ.

      The installation went fine, the installation set the Registry
      Path fine, noticed you have to Move the BPQ32.dll manually to the
      Windows/System32 Folder, in the case of XP and W2K.

      Great job as allways.

      Mike/N9PMO
    • Ron Stordahl N5IN
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2007
        Mike

        Glad to hear it went fine. You don't have to move bpq32.dll to the
        system directory. I tested this and bpq32 will first look in the
        application directory, and only then if it does not find bpq32.dll
        will it try the system directory.

        If that isn't the case, then I will be very surprised. I tested that
        very thing with W2K and XP before I released it.

        Let me know if I am wrong....

        I will release an installer after a while, I am studying this now,
        then this question will be behind us.

        Ron

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
          If you only run programs using bpq32.dll from the BPQ32 directory, then bpq32.dll can stay there. But for most users, they will be running software that uses bpq32.dll from other places - eg FBB, UIView 32 and AR-Cluster, so must move bpq32.dll to a system directory. It will work in either system or system32.

          I think Ron uses both UIVIew and AR-Cluster, but configues them to use the AGWPE interface, and runs AGWtoBPQ. So all his BPQ software is loaded from the bpq32 directroy, and he gets away with leaving bpq32.dll there.

          Incidentally, the latest version will warn you if you try to run it from more than one directory.

          Regards,
          John G8BPQ

          Glad to hear it went fine. You don't have to move bpq32.dll to the
          system directory. I tested this and bpq32 will first look in the
          application directory, and only then if it does not find bpq32.dll
          will it try the system directory.

          If that isn't the case, then I will be very surprised. I tested that
          very thing with W2K and XP before I released it.

          Let me know if I am wrong....

          I will release an installer after a while, I am studying this now,
          then this question will be behind us.

          Ron

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "MIchael Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@.. .> wrote:

          > Ron & John,
          >
          > I installed the latest release of BPQ more then 48 hrs a go
          > no problems with it so far i haven't had a chance to add a
          > second application, the first appl is a connection to Ron's
          > N5IN DXC, the second Appl will take AGWPE out as the TNC'S
          > controller, and use the AGWtoBPQ.exe for Telpac, AGWPE
          > is just one more program not needed, unless one uses a
          > sound card, then AGWPE can still be used in front of BPQ.
          >
          > The installation went fine, the installation set the Registry
          > Path fine, noticed you have to Move the BPQ32.dll manually to the
          > Windows/System32 Folder, in the case of XP and W2K.
          >
          > Great job as allways.
          >
          > Mike/N9PMO

        • Ron Stordahl
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
            Opps...I should have known this! I did consider this question and so I
            tested it by putting an older version in the systems directory and bpq
            picked the newer version in the user directory, but you have explained
            why that happened. When I get back Ill create a simple installer that
            takes care of this, until I can design the full installer that I am
            contemplating which considers every possible install option yet is easy
            to use by newcomers.

            In the mean time here is where the user should place a copy of the
            latest bpq32.dll:

            W95/98/ME in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
            WNT/2K in C:\WINNT\system32
            WXP/2003Server in C:\WINDOWS\system32.

            John mentioned below that you can use system instead of system32 in some
            cases, I suppose the search path looks in system32 first, but just to be
            sure make sure for WNT/W2K/WXP that you have it in system32 and not system.

            Since you have run the zip unpack with replace, you will also have the
            new version in your install directory..which can do no harm.

            Ill be skiing today at Steamboat Springs Colorado. First day out this
            season so I should be a wreck by the end of the day!

            Ron, N5IN

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
              Ron (and others!)

              "Since you have run the zip unpack with replace, you will also have the
              new version in your install directory..which can do no harm."

              Yes it will do harm! All BPQ32 programs must run bpq32.dll from the same place, not just copies of the same version.. So you need to move the dll from the install diectory to the system directory, not copy it.