Re: [BPQ32] Re: Latest Version of BPQ32 Node and Mailchat?

  • Ron Stordahl
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 12, 2011
      In Vista/Windows 7 programs are supposed to go in %programfiles%\'program-name' and application data in %appdata%\'program-name'.  If you type %programfiles% and %appdata% in into the Windows command window (just above the 'start' icon on the lower lhs) it will open Windows Explorer to the folder for each item appropriate to the OS version.

      Microsoft's program standards expect programs and their application data to be placed in the recommended folders.  This standard was actually part of Windows XP, but it was without cost to violate it, and most everyone did.  With Vista/Windows 7 it is hard to ignore it, what with annoying UAC popups.  In Windows 8 it would be no surprise if programs which do not follow these rules will be unusable.

      The new installer will be an effort to comply with the recommendations, but I am not sure if I will be able to offer to automatically make existing Vista/Windows 7 installations compliant...we will see.  This job is harder than I had expected, but I am making progress.

      Ron, AE5E