Latest Version of BPQ32 Node and Mailchat?

  • chris_g0cng
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 11, 2011
      Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
      I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
      Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
      Thanks Chris
    • Jeff - WA4ZKO
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 11, 2011
        5.0.0.1 (April 11th) is current.

        There are several test versions out there, but doubt you want to run them as they should be considered "beta" in nature. I think most of the changes in them involve Robust Packet and HF Rigcontrol updates, so unless you run HF/RP...probably little if any benefit to running them.

        If all is fine with your current setup, it's recommended you stick with the "release" versions found in the files section of the group unless you just enjoy extra gray hair ;-)

        I think John is putting the finishing touches on an August release which will be announced on the group when ready.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "chris_g0cng" <chris_g0cng@...> wrote:

        > Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
        > I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
        > Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
        > Thanks Chris

      • n5in_ron
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 11, 2011
          I am currently working on the next installer, which has proven to be a little more complicated than I had hoped. The reason is that this will be the first installer version which follows Microsoft's recommendations for Vista/Windows 7. The change that will be most obvious is the new requirement that the program files directory can not longer contain user data which is changeable. Such user files now have to be installed in the users %appdata% folders. The installer will add a new shortcut which the user can with one click open Windows Explorer to this new location and then use an editor to make changes to BPQ32.cfg and similar files.

          I would like to hear from any users who have used the current installer with Vista/Windows 7. My question would be have you tried to install in the default c:\program files\bpq32 or have you picked another location outside of that folder, such as c:\ham\bpq32.

          I may have to formulate a procedure to salvage your configurations...if possible.

          I have received all the updated files from John, so 'all' that remains is completing the installer, which as I said has proven to be more difficult than I expected.

          Ron, AE5E

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

          > 5.0.0.1 (April 11th) is current.
          >
          > There are several test versions out there, but doubt you want to run them as they should be considered "beta" in nature. I think most of the changes in them involve Robust Packet and HF Rigcontrol updates, so unless you run HF/RP...probably little if any benefit to running them.
          >
          > If all is fine with your current setup, it's recommended you stick with the "release" versions found in the files section of the group unless you just enjoy extra gray hair ;-)
          >
          > I think John is putting the finishing touches on an August release which will be announced on the group when ready.
          >

          > 73
          > Jeff
          > WA4ZKO
          >

          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "chris_g0cng" <chris_g0cng@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
          > > I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
          > > Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
          > > Can someone point me in the right direction?
          > > Thanks Chris

        • Dave Webb
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 11, 2011
            Ron,
            Will this installer also be used for WinXP?
            Also, will these changes allow me to run 2 seperate bbs's on the same computer? (IE: HAM/MARS)
            73
            Dave
            wb2hvf/afa2hv

            On 8/11/2011 8:00 PM, n5in_ron wrote:

            I am currently working on the next installer, which has proven to be a little more complicated than I had hoped. The reason is that this will be the first installer version which follows Microsoft's recommendations for Vista/Windows 7. The change that will be most obvious is the new requirement that the program files directory can not longer contain user data which is changeable. Such user files now have to be installed in the users %appdata% folders. The installer will add a new shortcut which the user can with one click open Windows Explorer to this new location and then use an editor to make changes to BPQ32.cfg and similar files.

            I would like to hear from any users who have used the current installer with Vista/Windows 7. My question would be have you tried to install in the default c:\program files\bpq32 or have you picked another location outside of that folder, such as c:\ham\bpq32.

            I may have to formulate a procedure to salvage your configurations...if possible.

            I have received all the updated files from John, so 'all' that remains is completing the installer, which as I said has proven to be more difficult than I expected.

            Ron, AE5E

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

            > 5.0.0.1 (April 11th) is current.
            >
            > There are several test versions out there, but doubt you want to run them as they should be considered "beta" in nature. I think most of the changes in them involve Robust Packet and HF Rigcontrol updates, so unless you run HF/RP...probably little if any benefit to running them.
            >
            > If all is fine with your current setup, it's recommended you stick with the "release" versions found in the files section of the group unless you just enjoy extra gray hair ;-)
            >
            > I think John is putting the finishing touches on an August release which will be announced on the group when ready.
            >

            > 73
            > Jeff
            > WA4ZKO
            >

            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "chris_g0cng" <chris_g0cng@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
            > > I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
            > > Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
            > > Can someone point me in the right direction?
            > > Thanks Chris

          • Ron Stordahl
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 11, 2011
              The forthcoming installer is intended to work from Windows 95 thru Windows 7, so yes of course XP.  I am pretty sure that most BPQ32 users run XP right now.

              As to multiple BBS's, I am afraid I can't answer that.  It will install BPQMailChat, just one copy.

              Ron

              Will this installer also be used for WinXP?
              Also, will these changes allow me to run 2 seperate bbs's on the same computer? (IE: HAM/MARS)
              73
              Dave
              wb2hvf/afa2hv

              On 8/11/2011 8:00 PM, n5in_ron wrote:

              I am currently working on the next installer, which has proven to be a little more complicated than I had hoped. The reason is that this will be the first installer version which follows Microsoft's recommendations for Vista/Windows 7. The change that will be most obvious is the new requirement that the program files directory can not longer contain user data which is changeable. Such user files now have to be installed in the users %appdata% folders. The installer will add a new shortcut which the user can with one click open Windows Explorer to this new location and then use an editor to make changes to BPQ32.cfg and similar files.

              I would like to hear from any users who have used the current installer with Vista/Windows 7. My question would be have you tried to install in the default c:\program files\bpq32 or have you picked another location outside of that folder, such as c:\ham\bpq32.

              I may have to formulate a procedure to salvage your configurations...if possible.

              I have received all the updated files from John, so 'all' that remains is completing the installer, which as I said has proven to be more difficult than I expected.

              Ron, AE5E

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

              > 5.0.0.1 (April 11th) is current.
              >
              > There are several test versions out there, but doubt you want to run them as they should be considered "beta" in nature. I think most of the changes in them involve Robust Packet and HF Rigcontrol updates, so unless you run HF/RP...probably little if any benefit to running them.
              >
              > If all is fine with your current setup, it's recommended you stick with the "release" versions found in the files section of the group unless you just enjoy extra gray hair ;-)
              >
              > I think John is putting the finishing touches on an August release which will be announced on the group when ready.
              >

              > 73
              > Jeff
              > WA4ZKO
              >

              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "chris_g0cng" <chris_g0cng@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
              > > I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
              > > Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
              > > Can someone point me in the right direction?
              > > Thanks Chris

            • Jeff - WA4ZKO
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 11, 2011
                Ron,

                Under Vista/Win7/Server 2008, I find it makes life a whole lot easier to just drop the software into a folder right under C drive (C:\ham\blah blah C:\Radio\blah blah), avoid the \program files\ mess, and just make life a whole lot simpler ;-)

                There are some scenarios where dealing with "some" of the file system recommendations from Microsoft make sense for ham software. Example: software with multiple users and "user" data/configuration needs to isolated per user (Outpost comes to mind...in some situations, but not all).

                73
                Jeff
                WA4ZKO

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 11, 2011

                  Dave,

                  You can run two copies of the BBS, but they have to share the same node, which is probably not what you want.

                  Will this installer also be used for WinXP?
                  Also, will these changes allow me to run 2 seperate bbs's on the same computer? (IE: HAM/MARS)
                  73
                  Dave
                  wb2hvf/afa2hv

                  On 8/11/2011 8:00 PM, n5in_ron wrote:

                  I am currently working on the next installer, which has proven to be a little more complicated than I had hoped. The reason is that this will be the first installer version which follows Microsoft's recommendations for Vista/Windows 7. The change that will be most obvious is the new requirement that the program files directory can not longer contain user data which is changeable. Such user files now have to be installed in the users %appdata% folders. The installer will add a new shortcut which the user can with one click open Windows Explorer to this new location and then use an editor to make changes to BPQ32.cfg and similar files.

                  I would like to hear from any users who have used the current installer with Vista/Windows 7. My question would be have you tried to install in the default c:\program files\bpq32 or have you picked another location outside of that folder, such as c:\ham\bpq32.

                  I may have to formulate a procedure to salvage your configurations...if possible.

                  I have received all the updated files from John, so 'all' that remains is completing the installer, which as I said has proven to be more difficult than I expected.

                  Ron, AE5E

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

                  > 5.0.0.1 (April 11th) is current.
                  >
                  > There are several test versions out there, but doubt you want to run them as they should be considered "beta" in nature. I think most of the changes in them involve Robust Packet and HF Rigcontrol updates, so unless you run HF/RP...probably little if any benefit to running them.
                  >
                  > If all is fine with your current setup, it's recommended you stick with the "release" versions found in the files section of the group unless you just enjoy extra gray hair ;-)
                  >
                  > I think John is putting the finishing touches on an August release which will be announced on the group when ready.
                  >

                  > 73
                  > Jeff
                  > WA4ZKO
                  >

                  > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "chris_g0cng" <chris_g0cng@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
                  > > I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
                  > > Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
                  > > Can someone point me in the right direction?
                  > > Thanks Chris

                • Dave Webb
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 12, 2011
                    True, I know I have asked you about this before, John, I was just wondering if anything had changed.
                    Thanks again for a great system. I've been running with zero problems for quite some time.
                    73
                    Dave
                    afa2hv/wb2hvf

                    On 8/12/2011 1:11 AM, John Wiseman wrote:

> [...]

                    > I think John is putting the finishing touches on an August release which will be announced on the group when ready.
                    >

                    > 73
                    > Jeff
                    > WA4ZKO
                    >

                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "chris_g0cng" <chris_g0cng@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
                    > > I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
                    > > Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
                    > > Can someone point me in the right direction?

                  • chris_g0cng
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 12, 2011
                      Thanks to everyone for their replies on this topic. Really useful. I've found John's beta versions on his cantib.net website and may give the updated node and Mailchat a try.
                      Current Full Release Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 working great for me on my BLOX node and GB7MAX BBS apart from a very irritating problem whereby my Multidrop KISS radio ports, comprising 3x Tiny2's and 1x Spirit2 fail periodically resulting in the radio ports of the node completely dying and the BPQ32 system needing rebooting to restore proper operation. It seems that BPQ32 randomly stops polling the TNC's at which point all radio access is dead and a reboot is needed. It happens several times a week on average. I'm going to try altering the ComPort from Com3 to Com1 on the PC and see if this improves things. I have emailed John about this problem already and he's looking into it. All Telnet access and AXUDP access is unaffected by this difficulty.
                      Wonder if anyone else has experienced this difficulty?? Maybe no one else uses Multidrop KISS ??? Perhaps the new release will cure this:-)
                      Thanks again for comments so far.
                      Chris

                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "chris_g0cng" <chris_g0cng@...> wrote:

                      > Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
                      > I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
                      > Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
                      > Thanks Chris

                    • WS7I
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 12, 2011
                        This is absolutely correct. Stay out of c:\program files\xxx and life is just so much easier.  True with Windows 7 10000%.  I have used c:\bpq32 for many years.  Works on Vista, XP, and Win7.

                        Jay WS7I

                        On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Jeff - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        > > I think John is putting the finishing touches on an August release which will be announced on the group when ready.
                        > >

                        > > 73
                        > > Jeff
                        > > WA4ZKO
                        > >

                        > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "chris_g0cng" <chris_g0cng@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
                        > > > I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
                        > > > Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
                        > > > Can someone point me in the right direction?

                      • Ron Stordahl
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 12, 2011
                          The new installer will default to Microsoft's recommendations, however you will be able to install outside of of c:\program files (x86)\ if you wish.

                          Ron, AE5E

> [...]

                          > > I think John is putting the finishing touches on an August release which will be announced on the group when ready.
                          > >

                          > > 73
                          > > Jeff
                          > > WA4ZKO
                          > >

                          > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "chris_g0cng" <chris_g0cng@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Can someone tell me where to find the latest update install files for BPQ32 Node and Mailchat please ?
                          > > > I'm currently running Node Version 5.0.0 Build 1 and Mailchat Version 1.0.4.40 and I see John has issued a late July update to both the node and the BBS whilst I've been away on holiday.
                          > > > Unfortunately I can't find the updates in the Files section. The latest version appears to be dated April 2011.
                          > > > Can someone point me in the right direction?

                        • Keith
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 12, 2011
                            Hi all
                            Just given the Beta version a try and Terminal loads OK and runs as normal but Mail/Chat  gives me the following error : “the procedure entry point –SaveReg@08 could not be located in the dynamic link library bpq32.dll. Have cleared and reset Registry but to no avail. Gone back to last official release and OK but any ideas where I went wrong.

                            Regards Keith G1GXB

                          • Keith
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 12, 2011
                              Idiot I copied a copy of the bpq32.dll to the programme directory as well as Windows/system32. All working well now.

                              Sorry!  Keith G1GXB

                              Just given the Beta version a try and Terminal loads OK and runs as normal but Mail/Chat  gives me the following error : “the procedure entry point –SaveReg@08 could not be located in the dynamic link library bpq32.dll. Have cleared and reset Registry but to no avail. Gone back to last official release and OK but any ideas where I went wrong.

                              Regards Keith G1GXB

                              No virus found in this message.

                            • Miroslav Skoric
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 12, 2011
                                On 8/12/2011 3:36 PM, WS7I wrote:

                                > This is absolutely correct. Stay out of c:\program files\xxx and life is
                                > just so much easier. True with Windows 7 10000%. I have used c:\bpq32 for
                                > many years. Works on Vista, XP, and Win7.

                                My experience related to WinXP:

                                When I used c:\xxx for BPQ32 Node, it required me to run the program as
                                the system administrator (what I do not want to be when on the Internet,
                                for security reasons). As soon as I installed the node in c:\program
                                files\xxx it allowed me to run it as an ordinary user. (Btw, I'd like to
                                do the same with 16bit WinFBB 7.00i but did not manage to force it to go
                                to c:\program files\xxx)

                                So, my advise is to stay with c:\program files\xxx

                                Misko
                              • Ron Stordahl
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 12, 2011
                                  In Vista/Windows 7 programs are supposed to go in %programfiles%\'program-name' and application data in %appdata%\'program-name'.  If you type %programfiles% and %appdata% in into the Windows command window (just above the 'start' icon on the lower lhs) it will open Windows Explorer to the folder for each item appropriate to the OS version.

                                  Microsoft's program standards expect programs and their application data to be placed in the recommended folders.  This standard was actually part of Windows XP, but it was without cost to violate it, and most everyone did.  With Vista/Windows 7 it is hard to ignore it, what with annoying UAC popups.  In Windows 8 it would be no surprise if programs which do not follow these rules will be unusable.

                                  The new installer will be an effort to comply with the recommendations, but I am not sure if I will be able to offer to automatically make existing Vista/Windows 7 installations compliant...we will see.  This job is harder than I had expected, but I am making progress.

                                  Ron, AE5E

                                  > This is absolutely correct. Stay out of c:\program files\xxx and life is
                                  > just so much easier.  True with Windows 7 10000%.  I have used c:\bpq32 for
                                  > many years.  Works on Vista, XP, and Win7.

                                  My experience related to WinXP:

                                  When I used c:\xxx for BPQ32 Node, it required me to run the program as
                                  the system administrator (what I do not want to be when on the Internet,
                                  for security reasons). As soon as I installed the node in c:\program
                                  files\xxx it allowed me to run it as an ordinary user. (Btw, I'd like to
                                  do the same with 16bit WinFBB 7.00i but did not manage to force it to go
                                  to c:\program files\xxx)

                                  So, my advise is to stay with c:\program files\xxx

                                  Misko

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to: