WINMOR TNC v1.3.2.5 available

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011
      Those using WINMOR on a HF port might be interested in this one.

      They are labeling it a "Trial" release (as in beta) so keep that in mind if you choose to run it. In other words, backup your current setup so you can revert back if needed ;-)

      I have it running here and SO FAR all seems fine, but have NOT done much testing beyond that. I did see a minor error show up in the debugger, but it appears related to having the following in my winmor tnc.ini file:
      ResponseDelay=100

      Looks like the new version is overriding it to 300 and life goes on.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO

      See the release notes (in the zip file), but here are some of the key changes per a posting by KN6KB:
      -------
      Important significant changes:
      1) Leader detector and symbol sync redone for better sensitivity
      2) Automatic measurement of T>R Latency during calls (read the new help)
      3) Extended latency limits with more precise timing to allow operation with latency up to 250 ms and no degradation due to VOX leaders.
      4) The Squelch control will now also modify the sensitivity of the leader detector but the starting point of 5 should still be good. You might experiment with Squelch settings of 3-7. Read the help.

      There are many other more minor changes read the revision history (in the zip file) if interested.
    • Bill Erhardt
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011
        Thanks Jeff,

        I donwloaded and will test later. Thanks for the headsup on ResponseDelay --

        Bill K7MT
      • Rick Muething
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011
          Jeff/All,

          That error relating to the response delay is expected. The new lower limit is 300 (was 100) and if it sees that 100 value in the ini file it will throw the exception and replace it with a value of 300.  The actual response delay may be reduced depending on the VOX setting and that allows essentially no difference in frame rates for VOX or no VOX operation. The important thing is the new acceptable limit for T>R Latency is now 250 ms (should actually work to about 300 ms and that should reduce problems seen with SDR type radios or those using VAC (Virtual Audio Cable).

          Rick KN6KB

          Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 2:18 PM
          Subject: [BPQ32] WINMOR TNC v1.3.2.5 available

[...]

          No virus found in this message.

        • Jeff - WA4ZKO
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011
            Thanks Rick, good info and interesting changes. Thank the programmers for us.

            73
            Jeff
            WA4ZKO

          • ke7ugt@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011
              Hi Jeff kj6ix @ kd6pgi really put in a lot of time from building me a computer to setting up the node. So even if all I can do is point somebody in the right direction I will Dale and Ken are super so if I were you I would keep them in my tool box . 73 Rick

              Thanks Rick, good info and interesting changes. Thank the programmers for us.

              73
              Jeff
              WA4ZKO

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

              > Jeff/All,
              >
              > That error relating to the response delay is expected. The new lower limit is 300 (was 100) and if it sees that 100 value in the ini file it will throw the exception and replace it with a value of 300. The actual response delay may be reduced depending on the VOX setting and that allows essentially no difference in frame rates for VOX or no VOX operation. The important thing is the new acceptable limit for T>R Latency is now 250 ms (should actually work to about 300 ms and that should reduce problems seen with SDR type radios or those using VAC (Virtual Audio Cable).
              >
              > Rick KN6KB

            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5, 2011

                Running new TRIAL ver here!!! Seems OK so far… 73 jerry

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 6, 2011

                  The new WINMOR TNC sends connect requests about every 3 seconds, rather than the old 4.2 secs.  This should help those who scan, but the scan timing may need to change.

                  From the change log:

                  Reduce intConReqCycle from 4200 to intConReqFrame + 1500 (about 3000)

                  It also seems that MAXCONREQ now defaults to 7 instead of 5, although I can’t find this mentioned in the change log.

                • Rick Muething
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 6, 2011
                    John,
                    Yes I must have missed putting the default call repeat change from 5 to 7 in the revision history. That keeps the default calling time about the same (~20 sec) but those can be changed by a command from the host.

                    Rick KN6KB