Re: BPQ32_409s_Beta_20051218 available in files section.

  • aar0ar
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 19, 2005
      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@d...>
      wrote:

      > The purpose of this new interface is to allow user programs which
      > expect to communicate with a real TNC2 via a real communications
      port to use BPQ32 without program changes.

      Ron can you perhaps give us some examples of this feature. Sounds
      good but I'm sort of wondering what program you might be talking about?
      Maybe a BBS or something?

      Jay
    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 19, 2005
        Jay

        Yes a BBS, or any program which which has a com port interface
        expecting a real TNC2, would be an example, in such a case the BBS
        program could connect instead to a virtual (BPQTNC2) via a virtual com
        port. By this means the BBS program can have radio access to a local
        radio, or even remote radios via the internet. Another example would be
        an installation of BPQ32 providing a remote radio node with an internet
        back bone connection, using BPQ's ax/udp capability, allowing local
        radio users access to a remote dxcluster and simultaneously allowing a
        user program, such as a ham logging program on that remote node computer
        access to the node to get and send dx spots, either via radio or via
        ax/upd to a dx cluster site supporting bpq32. The flexibility of the
        various BPQ32 modules make for so many possibilities, some of them yet
        unimagined.

        Ron, N5IN

        aar0ar wrote:
        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@d...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > The purpose of this new interface is to allow user programs which
        > > expect to communicate with a real TNC2 via a real communications
        > port to use BPQ32 without program changes.
        >
        > Ron can you perhaps give us some examples of this feature. Sounds
        > good but I'm sort of wondering what program you might be talking about?
        > Maybe a BBS or something?
        >
        > Jay

        > Ham radio
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=ehg1b2E69_ligDQOR2McHg>
        > John wiseman
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=John+wiseman&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=YImh4TNHWal9Dg8Nizymeg>
        > Craft hobby
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=xdqjTua39NcrimKxm8pVcg>
        >
        > Hobby and craft supply
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=3ITu7QOeTQqLmX3p-8NJEw>
        > Icom ham radio
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Icom+ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=RUP7Ssm9TeHIgMCSYOU_Kg>

      • dshults
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 19, 2005
          Jay,
          That's correct... a BBS.
          I've been running BPQ408a for many years. First under Win95 then
          Win98. Winlink Classic has the capability to detect BPQ resident
          when loaded from DOS, using BPQHTNC2. That TNC2 driver cannot be
          loaded in a W2K/XP environment. These two new drivers John
          developed gives Winlink access to BPQ32 in XP.

          I've been testing this setup for a week now and it's proving to
          be both stable and very functional. Winlink has some issues with
          this new configuration, but they're easy to deal with.

          Thank You John!

          ... Duane N7QDN

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "aar0ar" <aar0ar@g...> wrote:

          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN"
          <ron.stordahl@d...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > The purpose of this new interface is to allow user programs which
          > > expect to communicate with a real TNC2 via a real communications
          > port to use BPQ32 without program changes.
          >
          > Ron can you perhaps give us some examples of this feature. Sounds
          > good but I'm sort of wondering what program you might be talking
          about?
          > Maybe a BBS or something?
          >
          > Jay

        • aar0ar
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2005
            Duane,

            That's good news as that is what I was thinking about, Classic Winlink, and perhaps Airmail oughta work real well.  I shall give that a try.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            aar0ar
            Spokane, WA
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 22, 2005
              I seem to have hit a bit of a snag. When I fire up bpqtnc2.exe I get
              an error message. mscomm32.ocx is not registered. Actually, tried to
              register it but it doesn't seem to exist on this XP Box either.

              Any ideas of what I must be doing wrong?

              Jay
            • Ron Stordahl
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 22, 2005
                I checked and mscomm32.ocx came with my W2K (in c:\winnt\system32) and
                my WXP Pro SP 2 (in c:\windows\system32), however it didn't come with
                W2003Server.

                However I googled it and it looks like you can pick it up readily.

                Maybe it will be sufficient to put in the directory from which you are
                running bpq32 and registering it.

                Ron, N5IN

                aar0ar wrote:
                > I seem to have hit a bit of a snag. When I fire up bpqtnc2.exe I get
                > an error message. mscomm32.ocx is not registered. Actually, tried to
                > register it but it doesn't seem to exist on this XP Box either.
                >
                > Any ideas of what I must be doing wrong?
                >
                > Jay

              • aar0ar
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 23, 2005
                  Must have gotten uninstalled somehow when I took off my C# the other day.  Got it and that snag has gone away. Thanks.