Re: BPQ32 and squelching

  • la7um
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 10 2:32 PM
      FYI. If your KAM happens to be old, around 2.85 or so, it does not have the open squelch option. That came with some later firmware upd.
      73 de la7um Finn

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 11 8:18 AM
        Finn

        Are you sure? I had the old KAM without Battery back up, you had to PERM all
        commands and I had CD SOFT in it.

        Mike-N9PMO

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 11 8:32 AM
          Yes you are right John

          IN TERM
          CD SO
          IN KISS
          RESET

          This is true for all Kantronics TNC'S

          Mike-N9PMO

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 11 3:28 PM
            Mike. Yes, pretty sure, but I'm on vacation. Have the very old manual at home. And recently got a couple of loaner KAM and KPC4 early type. Found KISS Ok, (Not XKISS, that was 5.1) but not HOST, and not CD Soft. Don't remember the exact version. some 2.xy maybe 82 or 85

            I remember back then that I upgraded a lot of times my own original KAM, also at a step where I switched the little EEPROM from some 16 # to some 24 # and did mount a Clock battery into the print board socket, and the firmware Eprom upon the Clock battery socket.
            This rectangular shaped clock battery did not save the parameters, only the time, maybe the content of the PBBS (around 25KB), not sure.

            This probably was around the time/version when CD SOFT was introduced.

            I still needed to burn the EEprom for storing every set of parameters, but somewhere then both the HostMode and the CD SOFT arrived. Even later Pactor version 6.0 full of bugs, soon changed to version 6.1. Which worked perfect.

            Pretty soon after that , the Enhancement board WITH parameter backup BATTERY arrived and I mounted that and went on into some 6.1, 7.0, 8.0 as Gtor arrived as well. No more EEprom.

            The KAMe then worked the same way as KAM+ exept lesser PBBS, and no continuously variable potmeters as in KAM+.
            Around 100K compared to around 500K in KAM+ I believe.

            73. Finn/LA7UM

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 11 5:10 PM
              Hi Finn

              You may be right, the KPC 4 is a nice TNC, have two 1200 Radio Speed ports
              and what was the third port 300 BAUD Port I think?

              Around 6 years a go I saw two Kantronics 9612 with a extra 1200 BAUD port
              And the High Speed port for sale on EBay for $125.00 I wish now I grabbed
              it, there was some company that made a kit to add a second and third low
              speed port by using the existing Radio port pins, we all know how expensive
              Kantronics TNC'S are now, I think my first KPC3 was $99.00 new when I bought
              it in 1994.

              Mike-N9PMO

              Mike. Yes, pretty sure, but I'm on vacation. Have the very old manual at
              home. And recently got a couple of loaner KAM and KPC4 early type. Found
              KISS Ok, (Not XKISS, that was 5.1) but not HOST, and not CD Soft. Don't
              remember the exact version. some 2.xy maybe 82 or 85

              I remember back then that I upgraded a lot of times my own original KAM,
              also at a step where I switched the little EEPROM from some 16 # to some 24
              # and did mount a Clock battery into the print board socket, and the
              firmware Eprom upon the Clock battery socket.
              This rectangular shaped clock battery did not save the parameters, only the
              time, maybe the content of the PBBS (around 25KB), not sure.

              This probably was around the time/version when CD SOFT was introduced.

              I still needed to burn the EEprom for storing every set of parameters, but
              somewhere then both the HostMode and the CD SOFT arrived. Even later Pactor
              version 6.0 full of bugs, soon changed to version 6.1. Which worked perfect.

              Pretty soon after that , the Enhancement board WITH parameter backup BATTERY
              arrived and I mounted that and went on into some 6.1, 7.0, 8.0 as Gtor
              arrived as well. No more EEprom.

              The KAMe then worked the same way as KAM+ exept lesser PBBS, and no
              continuously variable potmeters as in KAM+.
              Around 100K compared to around 500K in KAM+ I believe.

              73. Finn/LA7UM

              > Finn
              >
              > Are you sure? I had the old KAM without Battery back up, you had to PERM
              all
              > commands and I had CD SOFT in it.
              >
              > Mike-N9PMO

            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 11 5:21 PM

                Are we talking about the KAM on the VHF or HF port… I have some older v2.82 and V 2.95? its 2.9 something Kams I could connect them up to my PC and check parameter lists..

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 12 4:21 AM
                  Mike. The KPC4 was only 2 port node. 1200 and 1200 , fixed VHF shift.
                  But SPEED could be reduced to 300B, so ax-25 cable communicating with a KAMs HF radio port with mark and space set to VHF standards worked well for some special setup.

                  On our club we have one of those KPC4s, and that was bought long ago at version 5.1 I think. I believe XKiss kame between 5.0 and 5.1 according to the papers.

                  The older loaner box I recently looked at was something like the 2.85, so I did see some differences.

                  And yes, me to , I am angry with myself that I didn't "jump on" to the offer from Kantronics I believe, getting the extra 1200B addon for making KPC9612 (maybe even the + version) a three port node.

                  This offer was suddenly withdrawn,

                  Mounted more or less like the Enhancement Board on the old KAM, and I believe the flat outer box was exchanged with a little higher one for making space for the addon.

                  Our KPC4 has been exptremely stable and has worked with a dos 4.0x BPQ node for some 15 years or so.

                  The XKISS mode worked well with Johns special 2port and poll - kiss.

                  73. Finn/LA7UM

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 12 4:37 AM
                    Jerry, I am actually talking both KAM and KPC4 and HF and VHF Packet port on KAM, but PACKET only, not ITA2 AMTOR which had limited set of characters. Later an APLINK version of AMTOR came as well, probably due to making it compatible with VIC and Winlink Classics APLINK just before Pactor arrived on the scene. Aplink AMTOR supported the full 7bit ascii. Way more useful than the limited ITA2 set we used before.

                    I believe those two loaner boxes both was/is 2.85 or something.

                    I also believe that the Host mode came when passing 3.xy or 4.xy something. The CD SOFT sometime came then.

                    I must admit that I did not specifically check HF Packet in relation to CD SOFT/INTERNAL but believe the commands was symmetrical.

                    Only the Baud rate and shifts was different.

                    Fine if you can investigate around your old versions now.

                    Your findings may be of interest for others as older packet boxes around now more and more are digged out of the attic.

                    73. Finn/LA7UM

                    > Are we talking about the KAM on the VHF or HF port. I have some older v2.82
                    > and V 2.95? its 2.9 something Kams I could connect them up to my PC and
                    > check parameter lists..

                  • Jim WU3V
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 12 6:22 AM
                      Gentlemen,

                      CD software is a VHF only function in the KAM you must use the PERM command
                      otherwise on a power reset your commands will disappear
                      to the last saved state.
                      In the KAM+ the perm command was replaced with a battery backed up method of
                      memory management.
                      To my recollection the KPC4 was dual port 1200 baud only I have one in for
                      service in my shop and I will verify that
                      it has a pair of TCM3105 decoders and they did not do 300 baud. The RS232
                      connector was male and the reasoning for doing that was not to accidently
                      plug in a rs232 cable into a radio port or reverse.

                      By the way FTDI has a USB to rs232 modul that can make an older tnc capable
                      of being accessed by a USB system.
                      I tested those in a Tiny2 and the KPC4 and they work well. They do not have
                      a 25 pin unit however

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 12 6:56 AM
                        Jim, please check the oldest ones available. Don't think it was any CD SOFT back then. I think the KPC4 handled 300Baud. Not 200Hz, only VHF standard Shifts.

                        Need to get home from vacation for any verification.
                        Only my grey ones for now.

                        73. Finn/LA7UM