kiss mode

  • don.w9jun
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
      Are these settings correct?

      PORT
      ID=BPQ 145.050 MHz ; Displayed by PORTS command
      TYPE=ASYNC ; Port is RS232 Com
      PROTOCOL=KISS ; TNC is used in KISS (or JKISS) mode
      ; See ..\RelatedFiles\KissRoms\KissRoms.zip.
      FULLDUP=0 ; Only meaningful for KISS (or JKISS) devices
      IOADDR=9 ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.
      SPEED=9600 ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED
      CHANNEL=A ; A for single channel TNC, A or B for multichannel
      PERSIST=64 ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)
      SLOTTIME=100 ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds
      TXDELAY=300 ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds
      TXTAIL=00 ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end
      QUALITY=192 ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on
      ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route
      ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts
      MINQUAL=168 ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or
      ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value
      ; of 0 sends everything.
      MAXFRAME=7 ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)
      FRACK=5000 ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds
      RESPTIME=1000 ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds
      RETRIES=5 ; Level 2 maximum retry value
      PACLEN=236 ; Default max packet length for this port
      UNPROTO=BPQP1 ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]
      BCALL=W9JUN-7 ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to APPL1CALL
      L3ONLY=0 ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port
      DIGIFLAG=1 ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only
      DIGIPORT=0 ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)
      USERS=0 ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit
      ENDPORT
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
        Don they are correct, if your Serial Port is Com 9

        Keep in mind you will be sending a large Nodes broadcast out on this port
        depending on your Nodes Table size, if you want to disable a nodes broadcast

        Set the QUALITY=0,
        or you can play with the MINQUAL= (Higher) and the QUALITY= Higher then 193,
        I know this has been a argument but I sent mine as Follows for my RF ports
        to only send My Calls in the nodes table:
        QUALITY=192
        MINQUAL=193
        It does work,

        I would also add the NOKEEPALIVES=1 on your RF Ports only, see below, this
        should stop polling from your system to other Nodes & Netroms,

        I do have one local user that can NOT stop the polling from his BPQ32 to
        mine with the NOKEEPALIVES=1 and yes the (S) is included.

        If you choose not to send a Nodes Broadcast (QUALITY=0) then it is not
        necessary to add the NOKEEPALIVES command, there is a second way to stop
        polling if the first fails to.

        PORT
        ID=145.070 MHz ; Displayed by PORTS command
        TYPE=ASYNC ; Port is RS232 Com, Kantronics 9612 Ch A
        PROTOCOL=KISS ; TNC is used in KISS mode
        FULLDUP=0 ; Only meaningful for KISS devices
        NOKEEPALIVES=1 ; No Polling on this Port

        Mike-N9PMO

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
          Hi, Mike. Thanks for the good info. I just got the rig and tnc operational today so will see who hears me and who I hear.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
            MAXFRAME=7 may be too high for a normal access port. I'd suggest starting at 2 and seeing how it performs. 7 is more appropriate for a node-node link.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
              Your right John I missed it when I looked it over, a Maxframe=7 can damage
              The transmitter from over heating especially if a frame gets rejected.

              BTW John did you receive my E-Mail about the MSYS with BPQ32?

              Mike-N9PMO

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011

                Its always a good idea to have an extra cooling fan on ALL HF rigs.. used for packet ( or other digital modes) …

                Especially where forwarding of Bulletins or RMS messages may be heavy… I have one 5 Inch fan on each of my 6 HF rigs… As well as any VHF or UHF used for message forwarding as stated above…  Nice piece of  insurance that your rig will not overheat…

                Just thought Id share that…  Lost one TS430 to over heating the very first night I did forwarding on HF many years ago…. Paid $600 for radio and $300 for repairs to finals.. All in the same month… Ok expensive lesson.. But well learned..

                73 jerry

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 10, 2011
                  > BTW John did you receive my E-Mail about the MSYS with BPQ32?
                  >
                  > Mike-N9PMO

                  And my e-mail about Mail for: and AEA Pactor problem?

                  73, Sergej
                  ut1hzm