Favorite old BPQ utility for HF

  • Charles Brabham
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 6 1:51 PM
      Back in the DOS days there was a BBS program for BPQ called GTEPMS.

      GTEPMS utilized Desqview to run a BBS program and a special version of NOS at the same time with BPQ.

      There was utility for GTEPMS that would tell you the relative baud rate for a specific BBS forwarding connection, a value that ran somewhere around 100 much of the time, or slightly above.

      You could look at that and get a number that represented how good a connection you had.

      73 DE Charles, N5PVL

    • Charles Brabham
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 6 2:20 PM
        Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was in the stats. - You could look up a particular station and have a number for each forwarding session. - This was good for determining optimum forwarding times, routing, etc..

        73 DE Charles, N5PVL

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14 9:45 AM
          > What is the format of an APRS mail-for?

          Sorry about the delay answering. I'm delaying because I don't have a
          good answer as we're breaking new ground here. I should have this
          running on the JNOS setup but that's yet another thing on the todo
          list (currently with 1030 items - thank you RememberTheMilk.com)...

          The goal is to have the info show on the D700 display as I'm out
          driving or even checking from work. Something like:

          NWPBPQ>MAILFOR,WIDE2-1:>MAILFOR: WA7NWP G8BPQ N8GNJ

          There are two customizable fields here.

          1. The Path: MAILFOR,WIDE2-1
          2. The Header: >MAILFOR: $STATIONS

          Being able to set the path and header (and broadcast interval) for any
          port would be nice... There are some channels where I'd like to flood
          the full network and others where a no-path beacon every hour or so
          would be good.

          Thanks for considering this...

          1001001
          Bill

          PS. I believe the future of Packet Radio is a mix of UI (APRS) and
          connected packets in a Web Based (user) Client / Server setup.
          Getting UI broadcasts in BPQ32BBS is a step in that direction...
        • sholtofish
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14 10:57 AM
            Hi Bill,

            > PS. I believe the future of Packet Radio is a mix of UI (APRS) and
            > connected packets in a Web Based (user) Client / Server setup.
            > Getting UI broadcasts in BPQ32BBS is a step in that direction...

            I've often thought along similar lines. It seems to me that almost all the pieces are in place to have some form of packet "web browser". "web pages" could be stored as messages and "hyperlinks" point to message numbers. It would work as easily on a KPC3+ PBBS as on BPQ Mail. Graphics would be a stumbling block obviously but my line of thinking would be either to use a symbol font or a wide range of icons, emoticons etc could be bundled with the packet browser which would at least allow some nice looking pages.

            I'm not sure that html would actually be the way to go... seems like a lot of redundancy in that language (closing </> tags etc) but some form of XML would be the way to go.

            73

            Sholto
          • Sholto Fisher
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 14 11:35 AM
              I hate replying to my own posts but I realized after I wrote this that
              hyperlinking would be better served by using the message title as the
              "page name" rather than message number so to avoid broken links if
              renumbering took place.

              If a BBS category was created say called WEB then all the "pages" could
              be kept there.

              So it might look a little like:

              L> WEB

              1 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG home.html
              2 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG localinfo.html
              3 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG localqrgs.html
              4 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG spokanevhfclub.html
              .. etc

              A specially crafted APRS beacon on 144.390 could be used to indicate the
              presence of a "packweb server" (and its QRG) so the browser software
              could pop up an alert to notify the operator that such a service was
              available.

              73

              Sholto

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 16 2:34 AM
                Bill,

                You can already set a different path for each port. (although your can't have MAILFOR,WIDE2-1, as MAILFOR too long for an ax.15 call)..

                I'll change the program to allow any header format, including newlines.

                I'll look at having different headers and frequencies, thought that may be in a later version.

                I've also updated the UIUtil program so that it can send different text to each port, and at different intervals.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 20 3:55 PM
                  On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 2:34 AM, John wrote:

                  > You can already set a different path for each port. (although your can't have MAILFOR,WIDE2-1, as MAILFOR too long for an ax.15 call)..
                  >
                  > I'll change the program to allow any header format, including newlines.

                  Thanks John - I'm looking forward to this upcoming release and putting
                  this to work. We have a couple "alternate" APRS channels here that we
                  follow with our Kenwood mobiles and it's going to be a good step
                  forward to have BPQ32 BBS and other info available there and on 144.39
                  as UI messages.

                  > I'll look at having different headers and frequencies, thought that may be in a later version.
                  >
                  > I've also updated the UIUtil program so that it can send different text to each port, and at different intervals.

                  This will be good to have too. It's going to be a Windows equivalent
                  of the multipurpose 'beacon' command in the Linux AX25 world.

                  Thanks again for the great tool!

                  73
                  Bill