RE: [BPQ32] Mailfor beacon help

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 6, 2011
      What is the format of an APRS mail-for?

      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill V WA7NWP
      Sent: 05 July 2011 22:08
      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [BPQ32] Mailfor beacon help

      > I'll add an option to disable it if there is no mail.

      Hi John,

      If you're bored and looking for a little project -- while you're
      tweaking the mailfor beacon, how about letting us configure its format
      and path. I have much more use for an APRS formatted mail-for beacon
      than the FBB style.

      Having access to both formats wouldn't be a bad thing...

      Is the FBB UI beacon format documented anywhere? It appears to be
      much more than just a plain text mail for scheme.

      73
      Bill - WA7NWP
    • Sholto Fisher
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 6, 2011
        Hi John,

        Yes a UI program would come in handy. Every so often I like to add an
        invite to our yahoo group for prospective members who may be monitoring
        14105. It's not a critical feature I need but just thought I would
        mention it.

        I must say I am very impressed with BPQ. I was aware of it for DOS back
        in the pre-internet days but always used a tnc in host mode.

        One thing I miss from using a tnc is being able to see the digi path on
        the heard list. Does BPQ support a "MH L" (mheard long) type command?
        This is very useful on HF as propagation changes all the time.

        73

        Sholto

        On 7/6/2011 5:57 AM, John Wiseman wrote:
        > Sholto,
        >
        > Not at the moment. There is a UI utility (which I don't think I ever
        > released), but at the moment it is designed for generating a beacon from a
        > file (for example for weather warnings), but it could be extended to allow a
        > differnet message per port.

      • Charles Brabham
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 6, 2011
          Back in the DOS days there was a BBS program for BPQ called GTEPMS.

          GTEPMS utilized Desqview to run a BBS program and a special version of NOS at the same time with BPQ.

          There was utility for GTEPMS that would tell you the relative baud rate for a specific BBS forwarding connection, a value that ran somewhere around 100 much of the time, or slightly above.

          You could look at that and get a number that represented how good a connection you had.

          73 DE Charles, N5PVL

        • Charles Brabham
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 6, 2011
            Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was in the stats. - You could look up a particular station and have a number for each forwarding session. - This was good for determining optimum forwarding times, routing, etc..

            73 DE Charles, N5PVL

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
              > What is the format of an APRS mail-for?

              Sorry about the delay answering. I'm delaying because I don't have a
              good answer as we're breaking new ground here. I should have this
              running on the JNOS setup but that's yet another thing on the todo
              list (currently with 1030 items - thank you RememberTheMilk.com)...

              The goal is to have the info show on the D700 display as I'm out
              driving or even checking from work. Something like:

              NWPBPQ>MAILFOR,WIDE2-1:>MAILFOR: WA7NWP G8BPQ N8GNJ

              There are two customizable fields here.

              1. The Path: MAILFOR,WIDE2-1
              2. The Header: >MAILFOR: $STATIONS

              Being able to set the path and header (and broadcast interval) for any
              port would be nice... There are some channels where I'd like to flood
              the full network and others where a no-path beacon every hour or so
              would be good.

              Thanks for considering this...

              1001001
              Bill

              PS. I believe the future of Packet Radio is a mix of UI (APRS) and
              connected packets in a Web Based (user) Client / Server setup.
              Getting UI broadcasts in BPQ32BBS is a step in that direction...
            • sholtofish
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
                Hi Bill,

                > PS. I believe the future of Packet Radio is a mix of UI (APRS) and
                > connected packets in a Web Based (user) Client / Server setup.
                > Getting UI broadcasts in BPQ32BBS is a step in that direction...

                I've often thought along similar lines. It seems to me that almost all the pieces are in place to have some form of packet "web browser". "web pages" could be stored as messages and "hyperlinks" point to message numbers. It would work as easily on a KPC3+ PBBS as on BPQ Mail. Graphics would be a stumbling block obviously but my line of thinking would be either to use a symbol font or a wide range of icons, emoticons etc could be bundled with the packet browser which would at least allow some nice looking pages.

                I'm not sure that html would actually be the way to go... seems like a lot of redundancy in that language (closing </> tags etc) but some form of XML would be the way to go.

                73

                Sholto
              • Sholto Fisher
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
                  I hate replying to my own posts but I realized after I wrote this that
                  hyperlinking would be better served by using the message title as the
                  "page name" rather than message number so to avoid broken links if
                  renumbering took place.

                  If a BBS category was created say called WEB then all the "pages" could
                  be kept there.

                  So it might look a little like:

                  L> WEB

                  1 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG home.html
                  2 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG localinfo.html
                  3 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG localqrgs.html
                  4 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG spokanevhfclub.html
                  .. etc

                  A specially crafted APRS beacon on 144.390 could be used to indicate the
                  presence of a "packweb server" (and its QRG) so the browser software
                  could pop up an alert to notify the operator that such a service was
                  available.

                  73

                  Sholto

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 16, 2011
                    Bill,

                    You can already set a different path for each port. (although your can't have MAILFOR,WIDE2-1, as MAILFOR too long for an ax.15 call)..

                    I'll change the program to allow any header format, including newlines.

                    I'll look at having different headers and frequencies, thought that may be in a later version.

                    I've also updated the UIUtil program so that it can send different text to each port, and at different intervals.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 20, 2011
                      On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 2:34 AM, John wrote:

                      > You can already set a different path for each port. (although your can't have MAILFOR,WIDE2-1, as MAILFOR too long for an ax.15 call)..
                      >
                      > I'll change the program to allow any header format, including newlines.

                      Thanks John - I'm looking forward to this upcoming release and putting
                      this to work. We have a couple "alternate" APRS channels here that we
                      follow with our Kenwood mobiles and it's going to be a good step
                      forward to have BPQ32 BBS and other info available there and on 144.39
                      as UI messages.

                      > I'll look at having different headers and frequencies, thought that may be in a later version.
                      >
                      > I've also updated the UIUtil program so that it can send different text to each port, and at different intervals.

                      This will be good to have too. It's going to be a Windows equivalent
                      of the multipurpose 'beacon' command in the Linux AX25 world.

                      Thanks again for the great tool!

                      73
                      Bill