Re: [BPQ32] Mailfor beacon help

  • Bill V WA7NWP
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 5, 2011
      > I'll add an option to disable it if there is no mail.

      Hi John,

      If you're bored and looking for a little project -- while you're
      tweaking the mailfor beacon, how about letting us configure its format
      and path. I have much more use for an APRS formatted mail-for beacon
      than the FBB style.

      Having access to both formats wouldn't be a bad thing...

      Is the FBB UI beacon format documented anywhere? It appears to be
      much more than just a plain text mail for scheme.

      73
      Bill - WA7NWP
    • Joel Yates
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 5, 2011
        That will work :-)

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        From: "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...>
        Sender: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 22:21:35 +0100
        To: <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Mailfor beacon help

        Ok, Joel. That is what I had in mind. A flag for each port, and either suppress the message, or send None.

        Hi John, For the VHF/UHF ports the mail beacon needs to say "NONE" if there is no mail so users can see that.
        ...73's...Joel N4JOA
        Joel Yates
        yate4899@...

        On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:02 PM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

        Sholto,

        I'll add an option to disable it if there is no mail.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 5, 2011
          Now we're on the subject of beacons is there any way to define different
          btext beacons for each port? This would allow me to have a more
          informative beacon for VHF while keeping the HF beacon brief.

          73

          Sholto
          K7TMG

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 6, 2011
            What is the format of an APRS mail-for?

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 6, 2011
              Sholto,

              Not at the moment. There is a UI utility (which I don't think I ever released), but at the moment it is designed for generating a beacon from a file (for example for weather warnings), but it could be extended to allow a differnet message per port.

              href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joel
              > Yates
              > Sent: 05 July 2011 22:13
              > To:
              Re: [BPQ32] Mailfor beacon help

              > Hi
              John, For the VHF/UHF ports the mail beacon needs to say "NONE" if there

              is no mail so users can see that.
              > ...73's...Joel N4JOA
              > Joel
              Yates

              href="mailto:yate4899%40gmail.com">yate4899@...

              href="mailto:john.wiseman%40cantab.net">john.wiseman@...>

              wrote:

              > Sholto,
              >
              > I'll add an option to disable it if there is no mail.

              [BPQ32] Mailfor beacon help

              > Hi
              John,

              > I was wondering if there was a way to inhibit the mailfor
              beacon if no mail
              > was waiting?
              >
              > The beacon works fine to
              show when mail is on hand but if there are no
              > messages waiting I still
              get the beacon.

              > I don't want to turn the beacon off because it
              is useful but on our HF
              > channel any unnecessary traffic is best
              prevented :)

              > "[20:25:15T K7TMG-1>FBB Port=2 <UI
              C>:
              > CDABBS Coeur d'Alene, ID [DN17oq]
              > Mail For:"
              >
              > 73
              >
              > Sholto
              > K7TMG

            • Sholto Fisher
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 6, 2011
                Hi John,

                Yes a UI program would come in handy. Every so often I like to add an
                invite to our yahoo group for prospective members who may be monitoring
                14105. It's not a critical feature I need but just thought I would
                mention it.

                I must say I am very impressed with BPQ. I was aware of it for DOS back
                in the pre-internet days but always used a tnc in host mode.

                One thing I miss from using a tnc is being able to see the digi path on
                the heard list. Does BPQ support a "MH L" (mheard long) type command?
                This is very useful on HF as propagation changes all the time.

                73

                Sholto

                On 7/6/2011 5:57 AM, John Wiseman wrote:
                > Sholto,
                >
                > Not at the moment. There is a UI utility (which I don't think I ever
                > released), but at the moment it is designed for generating a beacon from a
                > file (for example for weather warnings), but it could be extended to allow a
                > differnet message per port.

              • Charles Brabham
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 6, 2011
                  Back in the DOS days there was a BBS program for BPQ called GTEPMS.

                  GTEPMS utilized Desqview to run a BBS program and a special version of NOS at the same time with BPQ.

                  There was utility for GTEPMS that would tell you the relative baud rate for a specific BBS forwarding connection, a value that ran somewhere around 100 much of the time, or slightly above.

                  You could look at that and get a number that represented how good a connection you had.

                  73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                • Charles Brabham
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 6, 2011
                    Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was in the stats. - You could look up a particular station and have a number for each forwarding session. - This was good for determining optimum forwarding times, routing, etc..

                    73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
                      > What is the format of an APRS mail-for?

                      Sorry about the delay answering. I'm delaying because I don't have a
                      good answer as we're breaking new ground here. I should have this
                      running on the JNOS setup but that's yet another thing on the todo
                      list (currently with 1030 items - thank you RememberTheMilk.com)...

                      The goal is to have the info show on the D700 display as I'm out
                      driving or even checking from work. Something like:

                      NWPBPQ>MAILFOR,WIDE2-1:>MAILFOR: WA7NWP G8BPQ N8GNJ

                      There are two customizable fields here.

                      1. The Path: MAILFOR,WIDE2-1
                      2. The Header: >MAILFOR: $STATIONS

                      Being able to set the path and header (and broadcast interval) for any
                      port would be nice... There are some channels where I'd like to flood
                      the full network and others where a no-path beacon every hour or so
                      would be good.

                      Thanks for considering this...

                      1001001
                      Bill

                      PS. I believe the future of Packet Radio is a mix of UI (APRS) and
                      connected packets in a Web Based (user) Client / Server setup.
                      Getting UI broadcasts in BPQ32BBS is a step in that direction...
                    • sholtofish
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
                        Hi Bill,

                        > PS. I believe the future of Packet Radio is a mix of UI (APRS) and
                        > connected packets in a Web Based (user) Client / Server setup.
                        > Getting UI broadcasts in BPQ32BBS is a step in that direction...

                        I've often thought along similar lines. It seems to me that almost all the pieces are in place to have some form of packet "web browser". "web pages" could be stored as messages and "hyperlinks" point to message numbers. It would work as easily on a KPC3+ PBBS as on BPQ Mail. Graphics would be a stumbling block obviously but my line of thinking would be either to use a symbol font or a wide range of icons, emoticons etc could be bundled with the packet browser which would at least allow some nice looking pages.

                        I'm not sure that html would actually be the way to go... seems like a lot of redundancy in that language (closing </> tags etc) but some form of XML would be the way to go.

                        73

                        Sholto
                      • Sholto Fisher
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
                          I hate replying to my own posts but I realized after I wrote this that
                          hyperlinking would be better served by using the message title as the
                          "page name" rather than message number so to avoid broken links if
                          renumbering took place.

                          If a BBS category was created say called WEB then all the "pages" could
                          be kept there.

                          So it might look a little like:

                          L> WEB

                          1 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG home.html
                          2 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG localinfo.html
                          3 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG localqrgs.html
                          4 15-Jul BN 1024 WEB @K7TMG spokanevhfclub.html
                          .. etc

                          A specially crafted APRS beacon on 144.390 could be used to indicate the
                          presence of a "packweb server" (and its QRG) so the browser software
                          could pop up an alert to notify the operator that such a service was
                          available.

                          73

                          Sholto

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 16, 2011
                            Bill,

                            You can already set a different path for each port. (although your can't have MAILFOR,WIDE2-1, as MAILFOR too long for an ax.15 call)..

                            I'll change the program to allow any header format, including newlines.

                            I'll look at having different headers and frequencies, thought that may be in a later version.

                            I've also updated the UIUtil program so that it can send different text to each port, and at different intervals.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 20, 2011
                              On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 2:34 AM, John wrote:

                              > You can already set a different path for each port. (although your can't have MAILFOR,WIDE2-1, as MAILFOR too long for an ax.15 call)..
                              >
                              > I'll change the program to allow any header format, including newlines.

                              Thanks John - I'm looking forward to this upcoming release and putting
                              this to work. We have a couple "alternate" APRS channels here that we
                              follow with our Kenwood mobiles and it's going to be a good step
                              forward to have BPQ32 BBS and other info available there and on 144.39
                              as UI messages.

                              > I'll look at having different headers and frequencies, thought that may be in a later version.
                              >
                              > I've also updated the UIUtil program so that it can send different text to each port, and at different intervals.

                              This will be good to have too. It's going to be a Windows equivalent
                              of the multipurpose 'beacon' command in the Linux AX25 world.

                              Thanks again for the great tool!

                              73
                              Bill