BPQ32_409s_Beta_20051218 available in files section.

  • Ron Stordahl N5IN
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2005
      A new beta release of BPQ32 is available in the files section:

      This release adds a new feature, BPQTNC2, providing a TNC2 like
      interface to the switch via virtual communications ports. However at
      this time the feature only works with Windows-XP. It it is expected
      this feature will be extended to Windows-2000 soon. Later BPQTNC2
      will be enhanced to add a real communitions port functional with
      Win95/98/ME/2K/XP.

      The purpose of this new interface is to allow user programs which
      expect to communicate with a real TNC2 via a real communications port
      to use BPQ32 without program changes.

      BPQ32 has become very solid. I have been running it around the clock
      with multiple programs accessing it via the AGWtoBPQ interface for
      months without failure.

      You should not hesitate trying it.

      AR-Cluster sysops who have been using the prior BPQ32 with the OCX
      interface will find a significant advantage in moving from that to the
      new AGWtoBPQ interface, in that they can now close BPQ32, reconfigure
      it, restart it, all without dropping their telnet users. This is not
      possible when using the OCX interface. Additionally AR-Cluster can
      now initiate connections to remote radio users, something that with
      the OCX interface would often crash AR-Cluster.

      When the virtual serial interface is extended to Windows-2000 a new
      beta will be promptly released.

      Ron, N5IN
    • aar0ar
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 19, 2005
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@d...>
        wrote:

        > The purpose of this new interface is to allow user programs which
        > expect to communicate with a real TNC2 via a real communications
        port to use BPQ32 without program changes.

        Ron can you perhaps give us some examples of this feature. Sounds
        good but I'm sort of wondering what program you might be talking about?
        Maybe a BBS or something?

        Jay
      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 19, 2005
          Jay

          Yes a BBS, or any program which which has a com port interface
          expecting a real TNC2, would be an example, in such a case the BBS
          program could connect instead to a virtual (BPQTNC2) via a virtual com
          port. By this means the BBS program can have radio access to a local
          radio, or even remote radios via the internet. Another example would be
          an installation of BPQ32 providing a remote radio node with an internet
          back bone connection, using BPQ's ax/udp capability, allowing local
          radio users access to a remote dxcluster and simultaneously allowing a
          user program, such as a ham logging program on that remote node computer
          access to the node to get and send dx spots, either via radio or via
          ax/upd to a dx cluster site supporting bpq32. The flexibility of the
          various BPQ32 modules make for so many possibilities, some of them yet
          unimagined.

          Ron, N5IN

          aar0ar wrote:
          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron.stordahl@d...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > The purpose of this new interface is to allow user programs which
          > > expect to communicate with a real TNC2 via a real communications
          > port to use BPQ32 without program changes.
          >
          > Ron can you perhaps give us some examples of this feature. Sounds
          > good but I'm sort of wondering what program you might be talking about?
          > Maybe a BBS or something?
          >
          > Jay

          > Ham radio
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=ehg1b2E69_ligDQOR2McHg>
          > John wiseman
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=John+wiseman&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=YImh4TNHWal9Dg8Nizymeg>
          > Craft hobby
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=xdqjTua39NcrimKxm8pVcg>
          >
          > Hobby and craft supply
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=3ITu7QOeTQqLmX3p-8NJEw>
          > Icom ham radio
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Icom+ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=RUP7Ssm9TeHIgMCSYOU_Kg>

        • dshults
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 19, 2005
            Jay,
            That's correct... a BBS.
            I've been running BPQ408a for many years. First under Win95 then
            Win98. Winlink Classic has the capability to detect BPQ resident
            when loaded from DOS, using BPQHTNC2. That TNC2 driver cannot be
            loaded in a W2K/XP environment. These two new drivers John
            developed gives Winlink access to BPQ32 in XP.

            I've been testing this setup for a week now and it's proving to
            be both stable and very functional. Winlink has some issues with
            this new configuration, but they're easy to deal with.

            Thank You John!

            ... Duane N7QDN

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "aar0ar" <aar0ar@g...> wrote:

            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN"
            <ron.stordahl@d...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > The purpose of this new interface is to allow user programs which
            > > expect to communicate with a real TNC2 via a real communications
            > port to use BPQ32 without program changes.
            >
            > Ron can you perhaps give us some examples of this feature. Sounds
            > good but I'm sort of wondering what program you might be talking
            about?
            > Maybe a BBS or something?
            >
            > Jay

          • aar0ar
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 20, 2005
              Duane,

              That's good news as that is what I was thinking about, Classic Winlink, and perhaps Airmail oughta work real well.  I shall give that a try.

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --
              aar0ar
              Spokane, WA
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 22, 2005
                I seem to have hit a bit of a snag. When I fire up bpqtnc2.exe I get
                an error message. mscomm32.ocx is not registered. Actually, tried to
                register it but it doesn't seem to exist on this XP Box either.

                Any ideas of what I must be doing wrong?

                Jay
              • Ron Stordahl
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 22, 2005
                  I checked and mscomm32.ocx came with my W2K (in c:\winnt\system32) and
                  my WXP Pro SP 2 (in c:\windows\system32), however it didn't come with
                  W2003Server.

                  However I googled it and it looks like you can pick it up readily.

                  Maybe it will be sufficient to put in the directory from which you are
                  running bpq32 and registering it.

                  Ron, N5IN

                  aar0ar wrote:
                  > I seem to have hit a bit of a snag. When I fire up bpqtnc2.exe I get
                  > an error message. mscomm32.ocx is not registered. Actually, tried to
                  > register it but it doesn't seem to exist on this XP Box either.
                  >
                  > Any ideas of what I must be doing wrong?
                  >
                  > Jay

                • aar0ar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 23, 2005
                    Must have gotten uninstalled somehow when I took off my C# the other day.  Got it and that snag has gone away. Thanks.