Re: [BPQ32] Re: AGWPE TNC Settings Wrong

  • Art Bertheaume
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      Not trying to debate Mike,  just sharing experiance as an owner of a PK232 is all and pointing out errors as well.
      Next time you get a chance to talk to your buddy with the PK232, please ask him how he using a PID command. Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe he is using a different version of a 232 perhaps,  That is why I explicitly included my TNC stamp in my screen shots.
      But in closing,  as you can see from another screen shot , trying to send a PID command in EXPERT mode simply wont take.  Am I missing something??

      AEA PK-232M Data Controller
      Copyright (C) 1986-1993 by
      Advanced Electronic Applications, Inc.
      Release 01.DEC.93
      Ver. 7.0
      PACTOR S/N 12164
      cmd:PID
      ?What?
      cmd:expert on
      EXPert    was OFF
      EXPert    now ON
      cmd:pid
      ?What?

      "MIchael Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@...> wrote:
      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, Art Bertheaume <abertheaume@ ...> wrote:

      > I 'm not for certain Mike but maybe your mixing PID up with the
      PASSALL command. By default, when an AEA 232MBX is first
      initialized, it is in the new user mode. PASSALL is defaulted to
      off. You have to invoke EXPERT ON to turn PASSALL ON which I think
      you recommended in an earlier post not to do.
      Some how i new this would be a debate, and i wil keep it short and
      final, My only mention was a coment about PID Setting, i never said
      anything about PassAll, as neither of these cmds are used in Kiss,
      The only cmds in kiss that are used ares TXD, Persis, and Slottime.

      > You do not have to be in EXPERT mode to invoke KISS
      >
      > PID is not available in any mode.
      I just Talked with a Ham yesterday and PID is available in The
      expertmode in a AEA PK 232......

      > Regarding free AGW vs Pay For View, I run both versions on
      various machines. I do have the commands to turn KISS on with both
      of them but have the ExitKiss on Exit disabled. This leaves the TNC
      in KISS mode if AGW or the computer hic-up for any reason. And as
      Tony mentioned in an earlier post, because the TNC has remained in
      KISS mode, any subsequentual coomands sent to it are ignored. I
      don't depend on AGW to put it into KISS mode either, it seems that
      sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I prefer to place it in
      and out of KISS mode myself if I am messing around. Having the
      commands to place it into KISS entered in is just a real cheap
      insurance that "might" just work if I'm not nearby.

      > So in a nutshell, here is a sequence of events that run on any
      number of computers.
      Everyone has there own way to set up their stations, In my Case
      AGWPE does it all and has NEVER FAILED to enter or EXIT KISS.

      I was just pointing out the Errors in the TNC Setup of AGWPE, NO More
      No Less...Mike

      > Windows auto starts FBB and AGW
      >
      > AGW will place the TNC into KISS mode if need be
      > (The into KISS commands for the AEA 232MBX version 7 are)
      > 1} * this is needed to initialize the Pakratt, I
      pulled the battery jumpers out long ago
      > 2} KISS ON
      > 3} is empty, used to have RESTART but thx to Tony,
      found it isn't needed

      > AGW starts UI-View
      > Ui-view Starts AGWtoBPQ and several other applications
      >
      > This arrangement has worked quite well here and at several other
      locations. Sure, there probably is a better way of doing things but
      if it don't need fixin, then don't fix it. I also must add that we
      use FBBe and have had run times in excess of several weeks without a
      reboot needed so really don't have to worry a whole bunch about
      resetting TNC's and computers.

      > Not sure if this is relevant to anybody but just thought I would
      share my experiance.
      > 73
      > Art, N9ZZK
      >

      > "MIchael Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@.. .> wrote:
      > I like to make everyone aware, that in the free Version
      Of AGWPE
      > many of the TNC KISS SETTINGS are Wrong,
      >
      > KPC2 (not version 3)
      > KPC3 (not Plus)
      > KPC4 (not Version 3) DUAL RADIO PORT
      > KPC2400 (Not Version 3)
      > All of the above are plain and simple:
      > IN KISS
      > RESET
      > Nothing else is needed
      >
      > But when selected you will see:
      > KISSMODE ON
      > RESET
      >
      > The early Version of the KAM Without Battery Backup Selects:
      > IN KISS
      > RESET (You need to use the PERM Command)
      >
      > KAM (With out battery Backup) DUAL RADIO PORT
      > IN KISS
      > PERM
      >
      > The MFJ 1278 Shows No Setting: This may be that some MFJ and AEA's
      > are not Kiss compatable, The AEA TNC'S you need to be in the Expert
      > Mode for some commands Like PID, Some just use the JKiss Prom as i
      > did in my MFJ1278B That didn't support KISS.
      >
      > Of course any of the TNC Commands you can change Manually
      >
      > Just a Final NOTE:
      > If you were running a TNC with BPQ controlling the TNC in Kiss,
      > then try to add AGWPE (without) taking the TNC out of KISS First,
      it
      > normally won't work I have seen this first hand, Kiss is Not Kiss
      > as a few may think, AGWPE expects to communicate with the TNC and
      > place it in KISS,(See the Doc's with AGWPE) I have one KPC3, One
      > KPC3 Plus and one 9612 And i DO have to take them out of KISS
      before
      > using AGWPE, Now there may be a difference in the Payed For
      Version
      > of AGWPE, But Why spend good money when the Free version works
      just
      > fine...
      >
      > Mike/N9PMO

    • Mark Harloff
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        I don't see why there would be a command to do anything with PID
        (Protocol ID) frames other than possibly viewing (or not viewing) them.
        They are sent out automatically by the responding station as a control bit.

        I looked over the PK232 docs and did not see anything relating to a
        'PID' command.

        - Mark K2CAN

        Art Bertheaume wrote:

> [...]
        > > Mode for some commands Like PID, Some just use the JKiss Prom as i
        > > did in my MFJ1278B That didn't support KISS.
        > >
        > > Of course any of the TNC Commands you can change Manually
        > >
        > > Just a Final NOTE:
        > > If you were running a TNC with BPQ controlling the TNC in Kiss,
        > > then try to add AGWPE (without) taking the TNC out of KISS First,
        > it
        > > normally won't work I have seen this first hand, Kiss is Not Kiss
        > > as a few may think, AGWPE expects to communicate with the TNC and
        > > place it in KISS,(See the Doc's with AGWPE) I have one KPC3, One
        > > KPC3 Plus and one 9612 And i DO have to take them out of KISS
        > before
        > > using AGWPE, Now there may be a difference in the Payed For
        > Version
        > > of AGWPE, But Why spend good money when the Free version works

      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2006
          A new beta release of BPQ32 is available in the files section of the BPQ32 Yahoo Group:

          Alternate download site:

          http://dxspots.com/bpq32/bpq32_410Beta06Dec2006.exe
          http://dxspots.com/bpq32/bpq32_410Beta06Dec2006.htm

          From the beta document:

          7.17 06/Dec/2006:

          Since the last beta release there have been a lot of corrections and enhancements. All the major components have been updated.

          One of the most significant enhancements is BPQ32’s ability now to support multiple BBS’s using L4 connections, which can optionally broadcast their existence in node broadcasts. An example of this can be found above in section 3.06. That example is, I admit, a bit strained and thus I await to hear of working instances of a BBS plus a DX Cluster using this new capability. In the BPQ32 Yahoo Group files section are a number of new archives which related to specific applications, such as FBB, DXSpider, Ethereal, DEDHost and 16 bit.

          Users have commented on the number of separate running programs which make up a BPQ32 system, and the space this takes on the task bar. With this release all running components of BPQ32 can condense into a single box with the letters ‘BPQ’ in black on a white box in the task tray. It’s still all running…you are just not so often reminded of this fact!

          This beta release has been running 24/7 for sometime at N5IN and I recommend you update from earlier beta releases.

          When updating it is prudent to copy your existing BPQ32 directory to a backup location should you need to recover any existing configurations.

          Ron Stordahl, N5IN