Re: [BPQ32] AGWPE TNC Settings Wrong

  • Art Bertheaume
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      I 'm not for certain Mike but maybe your mixing PID up with the PASSALL command.  By default, when an AEA 232MBX is first initialized, it is in the new user mode.  PASSALL is defaulted to off.  You have to invoke EXPERT ON to turn PASSALL ON which I think you recommended in an earlier post not to do.

      You do not have to be in EXPERT mode to invoke KISS

      PID is not available in any mode.

      Regarding free AGW vs Pay For View, I run both versions on various machines.  I do have the commands to turn KISS on with both of them but have the ExitKiss on Exit disabled.  This leaves the TNC in KISS mode if AGW or the computer hic-up for any reason. And as Tony mentioned in an earlier post,  because the TNC has remained in KISS mode, any subsequentual coomands sent to it are ignored.    I don't depend on AGW to put it into KISS mode either,  it seems that sometimes it works,  sometimes it doesn't.  I prefer to place it in and out of KISS mode myself  if I am messing around. Having the commands to place it into KISS entered in is just a real cheap insurance that "might" just work if I'm not nearby.

      So in a nutshell,  here is a sequence of events that run on any number of computers.

      Windows auto starts FBB and AGW

      AGW will place the TNC into KISS mode if need be
             (The into KISS commands for the AEA 232MBX version 7 are)
                1} *   this is needed to initialize the Pakratt,  I pulled the battery jumpers out long ago
                2} KISS ON
                3}  is empty, used to have RESTART but thx to Tony, found it isn't needed

      AGW starts UI-View
      Ui-view Starts AGWtoBPQ and several other applications

      This arrangement has worked quite well here and at several other locations.  Sure, there probably is a better way of doing things but if it don't need fixin, then don't fix it. I also must add that we use FBBe and have had run times in excess of several weeks without a reboot needed so really don't have to worry  a whole bunch about resetting TNC's and computers.

      Not sure if this is relevant to anybody but just thought I would share my experiance.
      73
      Art,  N9ZZK

      "MIchael Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@...> wrote:
      I like to make everyone aware, that in the free Version Of AGWPE
      many of the TNC KISS SETTINGS are Wrong,

      KPC2 (not version 3)
      KPC3 (not Plus)
      KPC4 (not Version 3) DUAL RADIO PORT
      KPC2400 (Not Version 3)
      All of the above are plain and simple:
      IN KISS
      RESET
      Nothing else is needed

      But when selected you will see:
      KISSMODE ON
      RESET

      The early Version of the KAM Without Battery Backup Selects:
      IN KISS
      RESET (You need to use the PERM Command)

      KAM (With out battery Backup) DUAL RADIO PORT
      IN KISS
      PERM

      The MFJ 1278 Shows No Setting: This may be that some MFJ and AEA's
      are not Kiss compatable, The AEA TNC'S you need to be in the Expert
      Mode for some commands Like PID, Some just use the JKiss Prom as i
      did in my MFJ1278B That didn't support KISS.

      Of course any of the TNC Commands you can change Manually

      Just a Final NOTE:
      If you were running a TNC with BPQ controlling the TNC in Kiss,
      then try to add AGWPE (without) taking the TNC out of KISS First, it
      normally won't work I have seen this first hand, Kiss is Not Kiss
      as a few may think, AGWPE expects to communicate with the TNC and
      place it in KISS,(See the Doc's with AGWPE) I have one KPC3, One
      KPC3 Plus and one 9612 And i DO have to take them out of KISS before
      using AGWPE, Now there may be a difference in the Payed For Version
      of AGWPE, But Why spend good money when the Free version works just
      fine...

      Mike/N9PMO

    • MIchael Melnik Sr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Art Bertheaume <abertheaume@...> wrote:

        > I 'm not for certain Mike but maybe your mixing PID up with the
        PASSALL command. By default, when an AEA 232MBX is first
        initialized, it is in the new user mode. PASSALL is defaulted to
        off. You have to invoke EXPERT ON to turn PASSALL ON which I think
        you recommended in an earlier post not to do.
        Some how i new this would be a debate, and i wil keep it short and
        final, My only mention was a coment about PID Setting, i never said
        anything about PassAll, as neither of these cmds are used in Kiss,
        The only cmds in kiss that are used ares TXD, Persis, and Slottime.

        > You do not have to be in EXPERT mode to invoke KISS
        >
        > PID is not available in any mode.
        I just Talked with a Ham yesterday and PID is available in The
        expertmode in a AEA PK 232......

        > Regarding free AGW vs Pay For View, I run both versions on
        various machines. I do have the commands to turn KISS on with both
        of them but have the ExitKiss on Exit disabled. This leaves the TNC
        in KISS mode if AGW or the computer hic-up for any reason. And as
        Tony mentioned in an earlier post, because the TNC has remained in
        KISS mode, any subsequentual coomands sent to it are ignored. I
        don't depend on AGW to put it into KISS mode either, it seems that
        sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I prefer to place it in
        and out of KISS mode myself if I am messing around. Having the
        commands to place it into KISS entered in is just a real cheap
        insurance that "might" just work if I'm not nearby.

        > So in a nutshell, here is a sequence of events that run on any
        number of computers.
        Everyone has there own way to set up their stations, In my Case
        AGWPE does it all and has NEVER FAILED to enter or EXIT KISS.

        I was just pointing out the Errors in the TNC Setup of AGWPE, NO More
        No Less...Mike

        > Windows auto starts FBB and AGW
        >
        > AGW will place the TNC into KISS mode if need be
        > (The into KISS commands for the AEA 232MBX version 7 are)
        > 1} * this is needed to initialize the Pakratt, I
        pulled the battery jumpers out long ago
        > 2} KISS ON
        > 3} is empty, used to have RESTART but thx to Tony,
        found it isn't needed

        > AGW starts UI-View
        > Ui-view Starts AGWtoBPQ and several other applications
        >
        > This arrangement has worked quite well here and at several other
        locations. Sure, there probably is a better way of doing things but
        if it don't need fixin, then don't fix it. I also must add that we
        use FBBe and have had run times in excess of several weeks without a
        reboot needed so really don't have to worry a whole bunch about
        resetting TNC's and computers.

        > Not sure if this is relevant to anybody but just thought I would
        share my experiance.
        > 73
        > Art, N9ZZK
        >

        > "MIchael Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@...> wrote:
        > I like to make everyone aware, that in the free Version
        Of AGWPE
        > many of the TNC KISS SETTINGS are Wrong,
        >
        > KPC2 (not version 3)
        > KPC3 (not Plus)
        > KPC4 (not Version 3) DUAL RADIO PORT
        > KPC2400 (Not Version 3)
        > All of the above are plain and simple:
        > IN KISS
        > RESET
        > Nothing else is needed
        >
        > But when selected you will see:
        > KISSMODE ON
        > RESET
        >
        > The early Version of the KAM Without Battery Backup Selects:
        > IN KISS
        > RESET (You need to use the PERM Command)
        >
        > KAM (With out battery Backup) DUAL RADIO PORT
        > IN KISS
        > PERM
        >
        > The MFJ 1278 Shows No Setting: This may be that some MFJ and AEA's
        > are not Kiss compatable, The AEA TNC'S you need to be in the Expert
        > Mode for some commands Like PID, Some just use the JKiss Prom as i
        > did in my MFJ1278B That didn't support KISS.
        >
        > Of course any of the TNC Commands you can change Manually
        >
        > Just a Final NOTE:
        > If you were running a TNC with BPQ controlling the TNC in Kiss,
        > then try to add AGWPE (without) taking the TNC out of KISS First,
        it
        > normally won't work I have seen this first hand, Kiss is Not Kiss
        > as a few may think, AGWPE expects to communicate with the TNC and
        > place it in KISS,(See the Doc's with AGWPE) I have one KPC3, One
        > KPC3 Plus and one 9612 And i DO have to take them out of KISS
        before
        > using AGWPE, Now there may be a difference in the Payed For
        Version
        > of AGWPE, But Why spend good money when the Free version works
        just
        > fine...
        >
        > Mike/N9PMO

      • Art Bertheaume
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          Not trying to debate Mike,  just sharing experiance as an owner of a PK232 is all and pointing out errors as well.
          Next time you get a chance to talk to your buddy with the PK232, please ask him how he using a PID command. Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe he is using a different version of a 232 perhaps,  That is why I explicitly included my TNC stamp in my screen shots.
          But in closing,  as you can see from another screen shot , trying to send a PID command in EXPERT mode simply wont take.  Am I missing something??

          AEA PK-232M Data Controller
          Copyright (C) 1986-1993 by
          Advanced Electronic Applications, Inc.
          Release 01.DEC.93
          Ver. 7.0
          PACTOR S/N 12164
          cmd:PID
          ?What?
          cmd:expert on
          EXPert    was OFF
          EXPert    now ON
          cmd:pid
          ?What?

        • Mark Harloff
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
            I don't see why there would be a command to do anything with PID
            (Protocol ID) frames other than possibly viewing (or not viewing) them.
            They are sent out automatically by the responding station as a control bit.

            I looked over the PK232 docs and did not see anything relating to a
            'PID' command.

            - Mark K2CAN

            Art Bertheaume wrote:

> [...]
            > > Mode for some commands Like PID, Some just use the JKiss Prom as i
            > > did in my MFJ1278B That didn't support KISS.
            > >
            > > Of course any of the TNC Commands you can change Manually
            > >
            > > Just a Final NOTE:
            > > If you were running a TNC with BPQ controlling the TNC in Kiss,
            > > then try to add AGWPE (without) taking the TNC out of KISS First,
            > it
            > > normally won't work I have seen this first hand, Kiss is Not Kiss
            > > as a few may think, AGWPE expects to communicate with the TNC and
            > > place it in KISS,(See the Doc's with AGWPE) I have one KPC3, One
            > > KPC3 Plus and one 9612 And i DO have to take them out of KISS
            > before
            > > using AGWPE, Now there may be a difference in the Payed For
            > Version
            > > of AGWPE, But Why spend good money when the Free version works

          • Ron Stordahl
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2006
              A new beta release of BPQ32 is available in the files section of the BPQ32 Yahoo Group:

              Alternate download site:

              http://dxspots.com/bpq32/bpq32_410Beta06Dec2006.exe
              http://dxspots.com/bpq32/bpq32_410Beta06Dec2006.htm

              From the beta document:

              7.17 06/Dec/2006:

              Since the last beta release there have been a lot of corrections and enhancements. All the major components have been updated.

              One of the most significant enhancements is BPQ32’s ability now to support multiple BBS’s using L4 connections, which can optionally broadcast their existence in node broadcasts. An example of this can be found above in section 3.06. That example is, I admit, a bit strained and thus I await to hear of working instances of a BBS plus a DX Cluster using this new capability. In the BPQ32 Yahoo Group files section are a number of new archives which related to specific applications, such as FBB, DXSpider, Ethereal, DEDHost and 16 bit.

              Users have commented on the number of separate running programs which make up a BPQ32 system, and the space this takes on the task bar. With this release all running components of BPQ32 can condense into a single box with the letters ‘BPQ’ in black on a white box in the task tray. It’s still all running…you are just not so often reminded of this fact!

              This beta release has been running 24/7 for sometime at N5IN and I recommend you update from earlier beta releases.

              When updating it is prudent to copy your existing BPQ32 directory to a backup location should you need to recover any existing configurations.

              Ron Stordahl, N5IN