AGWPE TNC Settings Wrong

  • MIchael Melnik Sr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      I like to make everyone aware, that in the free Version Of AGWPE
      many of the TNC KISS SETTINGS are Wrong,

      KPC2 (not version 3)
      KPC3 (not Plus)
      KPC4 (not Version 3) DUAL RADIO PORT
      KPC2400 (Not Version 3)
      All of the above are plain and simple:
      IN KISS
      RESET
      Nothing else is needed

      But when selected you will see:
      KISSMODE ON
      RESET

      The early Version of the KAM Without Battery Backup Selects:
      IN KISS
      RESET (You need to use the PERM Command)

      KAM (With out battery Backup) DUAL RADIO PORT
      IN KISS
      PERM

      The MFJ 1278 Shows No Setting: This may be that some MFJ and AEA's
      are not Kiss compatable, The AEA TNC'S you need to be in the Expert
      Mode for some commands Like PID, Some just use the JKiss Prom as i
      did in my MFJ1278B That didn't support KISS.

      Of course any of the TNC Commands you can change Manually

      Just a Final NOTE:
      If you were running a TNC with BPQ controlling the TNC in Kiss,
      then try to add AGWPE (without) taking the TNC out of KISS First, it
      normally won't work I have seen this first hand, Kiss is Not Kiss
      as a few may think, AGWPE expects to communicate with the TNC and
      place it in KISS,(See the Doc's with AGWPE) I have one KPC3, One
      KPC3 Plus and one 9612 And i DO have to take them out of KISS before
      using AGWPE, Now there may be a difference in the Payed For Version
      of AGWPE, But Why spend good money when the Free version works just
      fine...

      Mike/N9PMO
    • Art Bertheaume
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        I 'm not for certain Mike but maybe your mixing PID up with the PASSALL command.  By default, when an AEA 232MBX is first initialized, it is in the new user mode.  PASSALL is defaulted to off.  You have to invoke EXPERT ON to turn PASSALL ON which I think you recommended in an earlier post not to do.

        You do not have to be in EXPERT mode to invoke KISS

        PID is not available in any mode.

        Regarding free AGW vs Pay For View, I run both versions on various machines.  I do have the commands to turn KISS on with both of them but have the ExitKiss on Exit disabled.  This leaves the TNC in KISS mode if AGW or the computer hic-up for any reason. And as Tony mentioned in an earlier post,  because the TNC has remained in KISS mode, any subsequentual coomands sent to it are ignored.    I don't depend on AGW to put it into KISS mode either,  it seems that sometimes it works,  sometimes it doesn't.  I prefer to place it in and out of KISS mode myself  if I am messing around. Having the commands to place it into KISS entered in is just a real cheap insurance that "might" just work if I'm not nearby.

        So in a nutshell,  here is a sequence of events that run on any number of computers.

        Windows auto starts FBB and AGW

        AGW will place the TNC into KISS mode if need be
               (The into KISS commands for the AEA 232MBX version 7 are)
                  1} *   this is needed to initialize the Pakratt,  I pulled the battery jumpers out long ago
                  2} KISS ON
                  3}  is empty, used to have RESTART but thx to Tony, found it isn't needed

        AGW starts UI-View
        Ui-view Starts AGWtoBPQ and several other applications

        This arrangement has worked quite well here and at several other locations.  Sure, there probably is a better way of doing things but if it don't need fixin, then don't fix it. I also must add that we use FBBe and have had run times in excess of several weeks without a reboot needed so really don't have to worry  a whole bunch about resetting TNC's and computers.

        Not sure if this is relevant to anybody but just thought I would share my experiance.
        73
        Art,  N9ZZK

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Art Bertheaume <abertheaume@...> wrote:

          > I 'm not for certain Mike but maybe your mixing PID up with the
          PASSALL command. By default, when an AEA 232MBX is first
          initialized, it is in the new user mode. PASSALL is defaulted to
          off. You have to invoke EXPERT ON to turn PASSALL ON which I think
          you recommended in an earlier post not to do.
          Some how i new this would be a debate, and i wil keep it short and
          final, My only mention was a coment about PID Setting, i never said
          anything about PassAll, as neither of these cmds are used in Kiss,
          The only cmds in kiss that are used ares TXD, Persis, and Slottime.

          > You do not have to be in EXPERT mode to invoke KISS
          >
          > PID is not available in any mode.
          I just Talked with a Ham yesterday and PID is available in The
          expertmode in a AEA PK 232......

          > Regarding free AGW vs Pay For View, I run both versions on
          various machines. I do have the commands to turn KISS on with both
          of them but have the ExitKiss on Exit disabled. This leaves the TNC
          in KISS mode if AGW or the computer hic-up for any reason. And as
          Tony mentioned in an earlier post, because the TNC has remained in
          KISS mode, any subsequentual coomands sent to it are ignored. I
          don't depend on AGW to put it into KISS mode either, it seems that
          sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I prefer to place it in
          and out of KISS mode myself if I am messing around. Having the
          commands to place it into KISS entered in is just a real cheap
          insurance that "might" just work if I'm not nearby.

          > So in a nutshell, here is a sequence of events that run on any
          number of computers.
          Everyone has there own way to set up their stations, In my Case
          AGWPE does it all and has NEVER FAILED to enter or EXIT KISS.

          I was just pointing out the Errors in the TNC Setup of AGWPE, NO More
          No Less...Mike

          > Windows auto starts FBB and AGW
          >
          > AGW will place the TNC into KISS mode if need be
          > (The into KISS commands for the AEA 232MBX version 7 are)
          > 1} * this is needed to initialize the Pakratt, I
          pulled the battery jumpers out long ago
          > 2} KISS ON
          > 3} is empty, used to have RESTART but thx to Tony,
          found it isn't needed

          > AGW starts UI-View
          > Ui-view Starts AGWtoBPQ and several other applications
          >
          > This arrangement has worked quite well here and at several other
          locations. Sure, there probably is a better way of doing things but
          if it don't need fixin, then don't fix it. I also must add that we
          use FBBe and have had run times in excess of several weeks without a
          reboot needed so really don't have to worry a whole bunch about
          resetting TNC's and computers.

          > Not sure if this is relevant to anybody but just thought I would
          share my experiance.
          > 73
          > Art, N9ZZK
          >

          > "MIchael Melnik Sr." <m.melnik@...> wrote:
          > I like to make everyone aware, that in the free Version
          Of AGWPE
          > many of the TNC KISS SETTINGS are Wrong,
          >
          > KPC2 (not version 3)
          > KPC3 (not Plus)
          > KPC4 (not Version 3) DUAL RADIO PORT
          > KPC2400 (Not Version 3)
          > All of the above are plain and simple:
          > IN KISS
          > RESET
          > Nothing else is needed
          >
          > But when selected you will see:
          > KISSMODE ON
          > RESET
          >
          > The early Version of the KAM Without Battery Backup Selects:
          > IN KISS
          > RESET (You need to use the PERM Command)
          >
          > KAM (With out battery Backup) DUAL RADIO PORT
          > IN KISS
          > PERM
          >
          > The MFJ 1278 Shows No Setting: This may be that some MFJ and AEA's
          > are not Kiss compatable, The AEA TNC'S you need to be in the Expert
          > Mode for some commands Like PID, Some just use the JKiss Prom as i
          > did in my MFJ1278B That didn't support KISS.
          >
          > Of course any of the TNC Commands you can change Manually
          >
          > Just a Final NOTE:
          > If you were running a TNC with BPQ controlling the TNC in Kiss,
          > then try to add AGWPE (without) taking the TNC out of KISS First,
          it
          > normally won't work I have seen this first hand, Kiss is Not Kiss
          > as a few may think, AGWPE expects to communicate with the TNC and
          > place it in KISS,(See the Doc's with AGWPE) I have one KPC3, One
          > KPC3 Plus and one 9612 And i DO have to take them out of KISS
          before
          > using AGWPE, Now there may be a difference in the Payed For
          Version
          > of AGWPE, But Why spend good money when the Free version works
          just
          > fine...
          >
          > Mike/N9PMO

        • Art Bertheaume
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
            Not trying to debate Mike,  just sharing experiance as an owner of a PK232 is all and pointing out errors as well.
            Next time you get a chance to talk to your buddy with the PK232, please ask him how he using a PID command. Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe he is using a different version of a 232 perhaps,  That is why I explicitly included my TNC stamp in my screen shots.
            But in closing,  as you can see from another screen shot , trying to send a PID command in EXPERT mode simply wont take.  Am I missing something??

            AEA PK-232M Data Controller
            Copyright (C) 1986-1993 by
            Advanced Electronic Applications, Inc.
            Release 01.DEC.93
            Ver. 7.0
            PACTOR S/N 12164
            cmd:PID
            ?What?
            cmd:expert on
            EXPert    was OFF
            EXPert    now ON
            cmd:pid
            ?What?

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
              I don't see why there would be a command to do anything with PID
              (Protocol ID) frames other than possibly viewing (or not viewing) them.
              They are sent out automatically by the responding station as a control bit.

              I looked over the PK232 docs and did not see anything relating to a
              'PID' command.

              - Mark K2CAN

              Art Bertheaume wrote:

> [...]
              > > Mode for some commands Like PID, Some just use the JKiss Prom as i
              > > did in my MFJ1278B That didn't support KISS.
              > >
              > > Of course any of the TNC Commands you can change Manually
              > >
              > > Just a Final NOTE:
              > > If you were running a TNC with BPQ controlling the TNC in Kiss,
              > > then try to add AGWPE (without) taking the TNC out of KISS First,
              > it
              > > normally won't work I have seen this first hand, Kiss is Not Kiss
              > > as a few may think, AGWPE expects to communicate with the TNC and
              > > place it in KISS,(See the Doc's with AGWPE) I have one KPC3, One
              > > KPC3 Plus and one 9612 And i DO have to take them out of KISS
              > before
              > > using AGWPE, Now there may be a difference in the Payed For
              > Version
              > > of AGWPE, But Why spend good money when the Free version works

            • Ron Stordahl
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2006
                A new beta release of BPQ32 is available in the files section of the BPQ32 Yahoo Group:

                Alternate download site:

                http://dxspots.com/bpq32/bpq32_410Beta06Dec2006.exe
                http://dxspots.com/bpq32/bpq32_410Beta06Dec2006.htm

                From the beta document:

                7.17 06/Dec/2006:

                Since the last beta release there have been a lot of corrections and enhancements. All the major components have been updated.

                One of the most significant enhancements is BPQ32’s ability now to support multiple BBS’s using L4 connections, which can optionally broadcast their existence in node broadcasts. An example of this can be found above in section 3.06. That example is, I admit, a bit strained and thus I await to hear of working instances of a BBS plus a DX Cluster using this new capability. In the BPQ32 Yahoo Group files section are a number of new archives which related to specific applications, such as FBB, DXSpider, Ethereal, DEDHost and 16 bit.

                Users have commented on the number of separate running programs which make up a BPQ32 system, and the space this takes on the task bar. With this release all running components of BPQ32 can condense into a single box with the letters ‘BPQ’ in black on a white box in the task tray. It’s still all running…you are just not so often reminded of this fact!

                This beta release has been running 24/7 for sometime at N5IN and I recommend you update from earlier beta releases.

                When updating it is prudent to copy your existing BPQ32 directory to a backup location should you need to recover any existing configurations.

                Ron Stordahl, N5IN