Netrom Connect ---

  • vk2dot
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
      Hi all, just found a problem with BPQ32 Netrom connect -
      There are a number of stations out there, quite a few in Australia who use the symbol dash - within their netrom alias.
      If we do a c x-pkt
      BPQ32 comes back with -> Invalid callsign.
      Has anybody found this problem.

      Regards Rod....////
    • Sergej
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
        Hello Rod.

        Same behavior here for aliases with '-'
        and also for aliases with low and UP case chars, like NoDe or MYnode etc...
        But its looks no problem for XNET soft and possible some other...

        73, Sergej
        ut1hzm/uz2hz
      • Bill V WA7NWP
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
          On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM, vk2dot <vk2dot@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, just found a problem with BPQ32 Netrom connect -
          > There are a number of stations out there, quite a few in Australia who use the symbol dash - within their netrom alias.

          That's mixing up with the callsign SSID. It was a good trick from
          the old days to use an NETROM alias - 0 to force a non-Netrom (L3)
          regular packet (L2) connect.. C SEA would be a netrom connect but
          connect C 1 SEA-0 would be a L2 connection.

          I'd wager BPQ is treating the dashed names as a bogus SSID extension.
          Is there a spec for NETROM names? I'd guess a dash is a non-allowed
          character.

          Bill - WA7NWP
        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011

            I have successfully connected to aliases of say DABBBS (N4ZKF-4) via BPQ on RF using C 5 DABBBS-1 to force the connect via HF….

            Never a problem… 73 jerry n9lya

            > Hi all, just found a problem with BPQ32 Netrom connect -
            > There are a number of stations out there, quite a few in Australia who use the symbol dash - within their netrom alias.

            That's mixing up with the callsign SSID. It was a good trick from
            the old days to use an NETROM alias - 0 to force a non-Netrom (L3)
            regular packet (L2) connect.. C SEA would be a netrom connect but
            connect C 1 SEA-0 would be a L2 connection.

            I'd wager BPQ is treating the dashed names as a bogus SSID extension.
            Is there a spec for NETROM names? I'd guess a dash is a non-allowed
            character.

            Bill - WA7NWP

          • Peter - ZL2BAU
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
              On 10/06/11 05:36, vk2dot wrote:

              Hi all, just found a problem with BPQ32 Netrom connect -
              There are a number of stations out there, quite a few in Australia who use the symbol dash - within their netrom alias.
              If we do a c x-pkt
              BPQ32 comes back with -> Invalid callsign.
              Has anybody found this problem.

              Regards Rod....////

              Hi Rod and group,

              Yes this has been a problem with the naming of the alias call, however, I do not have a problem connecting to X-PKT from XROUTER, the problem comes into play when you want to use the alias as a L2 such as :  C X-PKT-1, the software then see`s the *-* as an illegal character.

              There are not many alias calls that use the *-* as part of the callsign it`s self so I think it would be better to try and get the node alias changed rather than change the software.

              Regards ..... Peter

            • ah.v.schaijk@mindef.nl
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 10, 2011

                A dash in a L2 call would be against AX25 specs, only uppercase letters and numbers allowed so the software would be right to see a – as an illegal character, we would have to rewrite the ax25 specs to support it, not just the software.

                73 Andre PE1RDW