Re: APRS

  • vk2dot
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
      Hi Tony, John & group - We used to run a APRS link to our packet node here for years. When we changed over from XRouter to BPQ32 - we could not perform this function. Users would communicate from and to the APRS network from and to the Packet network. Users could also connect via port 8000 from their UIView. If you all can remember, aprox two years ago we asked that this function be implemented into BPQ32, but was jumped on very quickly that it would not be put into BPQ32.
      We are now changing all of our Remote Nodes from XRouter to Linux/URONode. One of the reasons being that we can put Xastir onto the Remote Node.
      As Tony noted, APRS is the dominant packet users in VK land, if we could intergrate BPQ32 with APRS, more users may come back into pure packet. We are trying to overcome part of the problem - by implementing COMMANDS for users to easily transfer between nodes and talk to remote users. For the toothsayers, CHAT does not compete with this function.
      My users have requested that we implement the BPQ32 to APRS via XRouter again, We will do that in the next few months - however we have to go from BPQ32 to Linux/URONode to XRouter or via Xastir. XRouter will not connect to BPQ32 via UDP, so we solve that problem or implement first or Xastir.]
      If BPQ32 users want, we could make up a specification for APRS & BPQ32, and post here - for John to use in the cold winter of G land. [similar to the COMMAND function we distributed a few months ago.]

      Regards Rod....////

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Hunt" <wavetel@...> wrote:

      > Its interesting to see the comments re BPQ32 and APRS .
      >
      > Presently thats all I use BPQ32 for. So I guess that stands in contradiction to everyone elses comments.
      > I dont run a BBS here. The usage and interest in BBSs has died out in VK .
      >
      > So why do I use BPQ32 ? I use the AGW2BPQ side of it primarily. I found its more stable than AGWs PE .
      > I have a few different APRS clients and platforms that hop on and off with different machines on Port 800 across the Lan at different times. All of these clients are AGW complient so its very handy.
      > I also use BPQ on the APRS frequency with Connected frames to manage the Digis in the state here. Currently there are 13 Ui-Digis in use all of which I can connect to one way or another.
      > Also some of the clients are set up for HF APRS and use the same BPQ32 AGW2BPQ emulation.
      >
      > The thing is that I have all the typical Nodes beacons and stuff all turned off so you would never know it was BPQ32 behind it all. I have also found that some of the other facilities available with Port forwarding enabled on the Internet when I am on holidays are just better from my point of view with BPQ32.
      >
      > List of clients some on more than 1 machine at once.
      > Uiview32
      > Xastir under Linux
      > Xastir in a VM under Windows
      > Digi_Ned for Windows
      > APRSIS32 under windows and Linux
      > TsthWin
      > JavAPRSSrvr Igate in Windows
      > UISS Occasionally
      >
      > Tony Hunt VK5AH

    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
        I have been using BPQ32 with the AGWtoBPQ interface in conjunction with UIView32 for many years nonstop.

        It is explained in the BPQ32 Installation document in section 4.08.

        Since we have a nearby high remote digi (UIDIGI ROM + MFJ1270C) I let that digi do the digipeating and UIView32 with BPQ32 is set not to digi, rather it is used as an IGate.
        If you want UIView32 to digipeat you can do that in the UIView32 Setup>Digipeater Setup window.  I have in the past turned on digipeating successfully when our high digi has failed.

        Ron AE5E (ex-N5IN)

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
          Yes I run BPQ32 here on  my Ui-View set up as I run 3 different ports on 3 different VHF Frequencies
          so easy on 1 PC was running 4ports  ..

          73 Phillip
          ZL2TZE

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 26, 2012

            Was there a update to the BPQ32 APRS ?

            I lost contact with you today in Chat Mode...

            Dale KJ6IX
          • Peter Joseph 9y4pj
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 27, 2012
              I  have noticed that my chat mode is not working a few days now alse any help to get it back..

              From the desk of 9Y4PJ..,,
                  Peter

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 28, 2012
                Thanks Mike I changed the chat as you say and it working...
                as to the forwarding I dont have rms so I don't know what going on..
                if you see something I have setup wrong feel free to tell me so it can be corrected..Peter

                From the desk of 9Y4PJ..,,
                    Peter

                I  have noticed that my chat mode is not working a few days now alse any help to get it back..

                From the desk of 9Y4PJ..,,
                    Peter

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 7 8:49 AM
                  We have hardly any packeteers on 2 meters in this area, but APRS seems quite active, so maybe I should consider switching my 2 meter port to APRS.

                  Would someone who uses APRS send me the portion of the .cfg file that pertains to APRS?

                  Thanks.

                  Mark, KQ0I Des Moines, IA
                  markkq0i@...
                • n5in_ron
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 7 9:15 AM
                    Mark

                    Although our NW Minnesota DX group had an extensive 2M packet network for dx spots, this died when nearly everyone got broadband internet. Instead, and to retain tower space, it has been switched over to 144.39 APRS and gets a lot of use. There are many uncovered areas and your APRS services will be appreciated I am sure.

                    The first thing you have to do is get an APRS-IS passcode from John G8BPQ. You will need that to be able to put position packets onto the internet, so they will show up on, for example, WWW.APRS.FI.

                    John will need the call sign you intend to use, the SSID doesn't matter. He will want to give this to you privately.

                    I will get you a sample configuration later today if possible.

                    Can you give me the frequency and rough location of your most prominent voice repeater in your area, then I can include the correctly formatted frequency object for it. I would also like to know your coordinates, ideally in degrees, and minutes (and fractional minutes).

                    You can send private e-mails from the BPQ32 Yahoo Group..just go to the members listing and click on their address, or do the same for the address shown with the members posting.

                    Ron, AE5E

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markkq0i@...> wrote:

                    > We have hardly any packeteers on 2 meters in this area, but APRS seems quite active, so maybe I should consider switching my 2 meter port to APRS.
                    >
                    > Would someone who uses APRS send me the portion of the .cfg file that pertains to APRS?
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > Mark, KQ0I Des Moines, IA
                    > markkq0i@...

                  • Jerry
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 13, 2012

                      Slightly off topic..

                      Anyone know what command in the THD710A is used so it  tx’s your position based on speed of vehicle.. Plan on if I can do it in time,  have a mobile BPQ APRS setup when I travel in a couple weeks…

                      73

                      Jerry

                      http://www.n9lya.com

                      http://incomebang.com/r.cgi/n9lya

                    • james_nf8i
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 14, 2012
                        Jerry,

                        Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with BPQ APRS in your vehicle that the D710 doesn't do on it's own?

                        73 de NF8I,

                        ~James