RE: [BPQ32] Re: APRS

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2011
      In talking with Ron AE5E (N5IN) he tells me he is sending DX Spots from his
      Cluster
      Via APRS Telnet, he says it is very active, I just started setting
      installing UI-VIEW last
      Night I still have to re-register my Precision Map 7 and install the NWS get
      stuff
      And Weather Station setup, then look into the cluster spots from my ARC via
      Telnet
      only, no RF here.

      Just a Note: some of guys here in SEWI have been using APRS on 145.61 the
      national
      ARES/RACES voice and RMS Nodes, this I found to be quite ridicules, how one
      can
      Have reliable Voice communications on what it suppose to be for emergency
      communications
      with APRS transmissions going out all of the time is beyond me, I listened
      to it for a couple
      of minutes and gave up.

      I guess my opinion has always been that APRS in most cases has never been
      put to good use,
      There is more to APRS then just sending out location beacons, Storm Spotting
      etc. would
      Be one good example of good use.

      73

      Mike-N9PMO
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2011
        Hi Tony, John & group - We used to run a APRS link to our packet node here for years. When we changed over from XRouter to BPQ32 - we could not perform this function. Users would communicate from and to the APRS network from and to the Packet network. Users could also connect via port 8000 from their UIView. If you all can remember, aprox two years ago we asked that this function be implemented into BPQ32, but was jumped on very quickly that it would not be put into BPQ32.
        We are now changing all of our Remote Nodes from XRouter to Linux/URONode. One of the reasons being that we can put Xastir onto the Remote Node.
        As Tony noted, APRS is the dominant packet users in VK land, if we could intergrate BPQ32 with APRS, more users may come back into pure packet. We are trying to overcome part of the problem - by implementing COMMANDS for users to easily transfer between nodes and talk to remote users. For the toothsayers, CHAT does not compete with this function.
        My users have requested that we implement the BPQ32 to APRS via XRouter again, We will do that in the next few months - however we have to go from BPQ32 to Linux/URONode to XRouter or via Xastir. XRouter will not connect to BPQ32 via UDP, so we solve that problem or implement first or Xastir.]
        If BPQ32 users want, we could make up a specification for APRS & BPQ32, and post here - for John to use in the cold winter of G land. [similar to the COMMAND function we distributed a few months ago.]

        Regards Rod....////

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Hunt" <wavetel@...> wrote:

        > Its interesting to see the comments re BPQ32 and APRS .
        >
        > Presently thats all I use BPQ32 for. So I guess that stands in contradiction to everyone elses comments.
        > I dont run a BBS here. The usage and interest in BBSs has died out in VK .
        >
        > So why do I use BPQ32 ? I use the AGW2BPQ side of it primarily. I found its more stable than AGWs PE .
        > I have a few different APRS clients and platforms that hop on and off with different machines on Port 800 across the Lan at different times. All of these clients are AGW complient so its very handy.
        > I also use BPQ on the APRS frequency with Connected frames to manage the Digis in the state here. Currently there are 13 Ui-Digis in use all of which I can connect to one way or another.
        > Also some of the clients are set up for HF APRS and use the same BPQ32 AGW2BPQ emulation.
        >
        > The thing is that I have all the typical Nodes beacons and stuff all turned off so you would never know it was BPQ32 behind it all. I have also found that some of the other facilities available with Port forwarding enabled on the Internet when I am on holidays are just better from my point of view with BPQ32.
        >
        > List of clients some on more than 1 machine at once.
        > Uiview32
        > Xastir under Linux
        > Xastir in a VM under Windows
        > Digi_Ned for Windows
        > APRSIS32 under windows and Linux
        > TsthWin
        > JavAPRSSrvr Igate in Windows
        > UISS Occasionally
        >
        > Tony Hunt VK5AH

      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2011
          I have been using BPQ32 with the AGWtoBPQ interface in conjunction with UIView32 for many years nonstop.

          It is explained in the BPQ32 Installation document in section 4.08.

          Since we have a nearby high remote digi (UIDIGI ROM + MFJ1270C) I let that digi do the digipeating and UIView32 with BPQ32 is set not to digi, rather it is used as an IGate.
          If you want UIView32 to digipeat you can do that in the UIView32 Setup>Digipeater Setup window.  I have in the past turned on digipeating successfully when our high digi has failed.

          Ron AE5E (ex-N5IN)

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2011
            Yes I run BPQ32 here on  my Ui-View set up as I run 3 different ports on 3 different VHF Frequencies
            so easy on 1 PC was running 4ports  ..

            73 Phillip
            ZL2TZE

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 26, 2012
              John

              Was there a update to the BPQ32 APRS ?

              I lost contact with you today in Chat Mode...

              Dale KJ6IX
            • Peter Joseph 9y4pj
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 27, 2012
                I  have noticed that my chat mode is not working a few days now alse any help to get it back..

                From the desk of 9Y4PJ..,,
                    Peter

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 28, 2012
                  Thanks Mike I changed the chat as you say and it working...
                  as to the forwarding I dont have rms so I don't know what going on..
                  if you see something I have setup wrong feel free to tell me so it can be corrected..Peter

                  From the desk of 9Y4PJ..,,
                      Peter

                  I  have noticed that my chat mode is not working a few days now alse any help to get it back..

                  From the desk of 9Y4PJ..,,
                      Peter

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 7, 2012
                    We have hardly any packeteers on 2 meters in this area, but APRS seems quite active, so maybe I should consider switching my 2 meter port to APRS.

                    Would someone who uses APRS send me the portion of the .cfg file that pertains to APRS?

                    Thanks.

                    Mark, KQ0I Des Moines, IA
                    markkq0i@...
                  • n5in_ron
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 7, 2012
                      Mark

                      Although our NW Minnesota DX group had an extensive 2M packet network for dx spots, this died when nearly everyone got broadband internet. Instead, and to retain tower space, it has been switched over to 144.39 APRS and gets a lot of use. There are many uncovered areas and your APRS services will be appreciated I am sure.

                      The first thing you have to do is get an APRS-IS passcode from John G8BPQ. You will need that to be able to put position packets onto the internet, so they will show up on, for example, WWW.APRS.FI.

                      John will need the call sign you intend to use, the SSID doesn't matter. He will want to give this to you privately.

                      I will get you a sample configuration later today if possible.

                      Can you give me the frequency and rough location of your most prominent voice repeater in your area, then I can include the correctly formatted frequency object for it. I would also like to know your coordinates, ideally in degrees, and minutes (and fractional minutes).

                      You can send private e-mails from the BPQ32 Yahoo Group..just go to the members listing and click on their address, or do the same for the address shown with the members posting.

                      Ron, AE5E

                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markkq0i@...> wrote:

                      > We have hardly any packeteers on 2 meters in this area, but APRS seems quite active, so maybe I should consider switching my 2 meter port to APRS.
                      >
                      > Would someone who uses APRS send me the portion of the .cfg file that pertains to APRS?
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > Mark, KQ0I Des Moines, IA
                      > markkq0i@...

                    • Jerry
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 13, 2012

                        Slightly off topic..

                        Anyone know what command in the THD710A is used so it  tx’s your position based on speed of vehicle.. Plan on if I can do it in time,  have a mobile BPQ APRS setup when I travel in a couple weeks…

                        73

                        Jerry

                        http://www.n9lya.com

                        http://incomebang.com/r.cgi/n9lya

                      • james_nf8i
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 14, 2012
                          Jerry,

                          Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with BPQ APRS in your vehicle that the D710 doesn't do on it's own?

                          73 de NF8I,

                          ~James

                          > Slightly off topic..
                          >

                          > Anyone know what command in the THD710A is used so it tx's your position
                          > based on speed of vehicle.. Plan on if I can do it in time, have a mobile
                          > BPQ APRS setup when I travel in a couple weeks.
                          >

                          > 73
                          >

                          > Jerry
                          >
                          > http://www.n9lya.com
                          >
                          > <http://incomebang.com/r.cgi/n9lya> http://incomebang.com/r.cgi/n9lya

                        • vk2na
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 18, 2016

                            Hi all,

                            I am bit confused by APRS setup.  I am trying to get my system to digipeat APRS from VK9TBN-9 or any other RPR station that may start APRS'ing on 30m.

                            My system is not digipeating APRS.  My Tracker is on Port 3.  Should DIGICALLS be RELAY,WIDE?

                            My Config looks like this.

                            ;-------------APRSDIGI------------------
                            APRSDIGI
                            APRSCall VK2NA-9
                            StatusMsg=BPQ32 BBS Newcastle
                            Symbol=a
                            Symset=B
                            APRSPath 3=APRS,WIDE1-1
                            BeaconInterval=5
                            Digimap 3=3
                            ; TraceCalls=RELAY,WIDE
                            ; FloodCalls=NA
                            DigiCalls=VK2NA-9
                            ; ReplaceDigiCalls
                            MaxTraceHops=2
                            MaxFloodHops=2
                            LAT=3258.12S
                            LON=15140.94E
                            ;ISHost=sydney.aprs2.net
                            ;ISPort=14580
                            ;ISPasscode=*****
                            ***

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 19, 2016
                              Most stations nowadays use a path of WIDEn-n, and to digi those you would
                              normally use the TRACECALLS, which you have removed. As there are still some
                              stations using RELAY, TRACECALLS=WIDE,RELAY is a good choice

                              DIGICALLS is used if you want stations to be able to digi via your real
                              callsign, rather than the generic WIDE or RELAY.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 19, 2016
                                John,

                                I haven't been able to digipeat any APRS as yet.  I'm not fully sure I have got my head around the APRS structure yet.  If anyone can advise me about my CONFIG I'd appreciate it.

                                Here's the latest from my MONITOR WINDOW (BPQTERM)

                                00:31:20R VK3MY-4>APRS Port=3 <UI>:
                                !3751.54SG14518.28E& / APRS 10Mhz Net Station (2)
                                00:39:21R VK2NA-7>APBPQ1,RELAY,WIDE1-1 Port=3 <UI>:
                                !3258.12SB15140.94Ea BPQ32 V 6.0.12.21
                                00:44:27R VK2NA-7>APBPQ1,RELAY,WIDE1-1 Port=3 <UI>:
                                !3258.12SB15140.94Ea BPQ32 V 6.0.12.21

                                My config is:

                                ;-------------APRSDIGI------------------
                                APRSDIGI
                                APRSCall VK2NA-4
                                StatusMsg=BPQ32 BBS Newcastle
                                Symbol=a
                                Symset=B
                                APRSPath 3=APRS,RELAY,WIDE1-1
                                BeaconInterval=5
                                Digimap 3=3
                                TraceCalls=APRS,WIDE,RELAY
                                ;FloodCalls=NA
                                DigiCalls=WIDE1-1
                                ; ReplaceDigiCalls
                                MaxTraceHops=2
                                MaxFloodHops=2
                                LAT=3258.12S
                                LON=15140.94E
                                ;ISHost=sydney.aprs2.net
                                ;ISPort=14580
                                ;ISPasscode=%%%%%
                                ***

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 20, 2016
                                  You shouldn’t be using RELAY and WIDEn-n in the same path. RELAY is not
                                  recommended, but you may choose to digi it to support stations with old
                                  configs. Common paths on VHF are WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, or WIDE2-2, both of which
                                  will give you two hops but the first will use a local fill-in digi if
                                  present. I don’t think there are any standards for HF. Some say you
                                  shouldn’t digi on HF, but I’ve seen paths anything up to WIDE3-3.

                                  TRACECALLS shouldn’t contain APRS or RELAY. TRACECALLS only works with paths
                                  in the CALLm-n format. Normally just use WIDE, but as some old stations use
                                  TRACE instead of WIDE you could use WIDE,TRACE

                                  DIGICALLS=WIDE1.1 could be used, but only if you are running as a fill-in
                                  digi, and are not using TRACECALLS. Otherwise TRACECALLS of WIDE will digi
                                  WIDE1-1 anyway.