Re: APRS

  • don.w9jun
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
      Ok, just trying to get a feel for this stuff. I saw the ui-view bpq32 host so thought there was a specific and efficient purpose for that. I will forgo that thought and look into a vhf freq here in my town that may be a benefit here. The only HF I have right now is 10m so looking to expand into a vhf freq to help with personal comm or emcomm. I don't think I have anyone close enough to me to on a 2m freq that can hear me. Thanks for the info, Mike

      > Don
      >
      > As far as I know 4.390 in the US is the only frequency used for APRS info, I
      > did allocate a BPQ port for UI-VIEW 32 but found that anyone that tried to
      > DIGI threw my APRS station using Wide, Relay or even my ARPS call it didn't
      > work, so I just set my Kantronics KPC3+ straight to UI-View via the serial
      > port, I really don't see a need to use BPQ32 as a interface between UI-VIEW
      > and a Serial port.
      >
      > The other problem I had with APRS on RF is I have too many users up north
      > that use my station on 145.030 and many have to node to my station, the APRS
      > transmissions were desensitizing receiving on 5.030 and 5.070, so I left my
      > UI-View presently not functioning on Telnet only, but DIGI threw RF Via
      > Telnet.
      >
      > The use of my BBS on the VHF frequencies is too important verses APRS
      > transmissions.
      >
      > Sorry I feel that way.
      >
      > As soon as I get a chance I will bring the APRS station back up.
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Mike-N9PMO

    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011

        Actually there is A purpose..

        If you select certain BPQ ports to listen for APRS UIframes… ie Position reports from stations on the given port.. Say a Mobile user with his station on the BBS port instead of APRS freq.. His position (and only his position data) will be picked up by that BPQ port and retransmitted on the APRS freq…  Thus the selection for up to 16 BPQ ports in UiView…

        So another words … Say a APRS guy wanted to sit on the BBS freq and use the BBS or just stay on example.. 145.050 his APRS beacon could still reach the APRS system.. Easily enough.. And he would not have to sit on 144.390 all the time to do so…

        This creates only an added Beacon on the NON APRS frequency and no additional Traffic on the Actual APRS freq..  since he would otherwise have been on 144.390 anyway…

        73 jerry n9lya

        Don Sorry I missed your call. I will try you later…

        Ok, just trying to get a feel for this stuff. I saw the ui-view bpq32 host so thought there was a specific and efficient purpose for that. I will forgo that thought and look into a vhf freq here in my town that may be a benefit here. The only HF I have right now is 10m so looking to expand into a vhf freq to help with personal comm or emcomm. I don't think I have anyone close enough to me to on a 2m freq that can hear me. Thanks for the info, Mike

        > Don
        >
        > As far as I know 4.390 in the US is the only frequency used for APRS info, I
        > did allocate a BPQ port for UI-VIEW 32 but found that anyone that tried to
        > DIGI threw my APRS station using Wide, Relay or even my ARPS call it didn't
        > work, so I just set my Kantronics KPC3+ straight to UI-View via the serial
        > port, I really don't see a need to use BPQ32 as a interface between UI-VIEW
        > and a Serial port.
        >
        > The other problem I had with APRS on RF is I have too many users up north
        > that use my station on 145.030 and many have to node to my station, the APRS
        > transmissions were desensitizing receiving on 5.030 and 5.070, so I left my
        > UI-View presently not functioning on Telnet only, but DIGI threw RF Via
        > Telnet.
        >
        > The use of my BBS on the VHF frequencies is too important verses APRS
        > transmissions.
        >
        > Sorry I feel that way.
        >
        > As soon as I get a chance I will bring the APRS station back up.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Mike-N9PMO

      • Tony Hunt
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
          Its interesting to see the comments re BPQ32 and APRS .

          Presently thats all I use BPQ32 for. So I guess that stands in contradiction to everyone elses comments.
          I dont run a BBS here. The usage and interest in BBSs has died out in VK .

          So why do I use BPQ32 ? I use the AGW2BPQ side of it primarily. I found its more stable than AGWs PE .
          I have a few different APRS clients and platforms that hop on and off with different machines on Port 800 across the Lan at different times. All of these clients are AGW complient so its very handy.
          I also use BPQ on the APRS frequency with Connected frames to manage the Digis in the state here. Currently there are 13 Ui-Digis in use all of which I can connect to one way or another.
          Also some of the clients are set up for HF APRS and use the same BPQ32 AGW2BPQ emulation.

          The thing is that I have all the typical Nodes beacons and stuff all turned off so you would never know it was BPQ32 behind it all. I have also found that some of the other facilities available with Port forwarding enabled on the Internet when I am on holidays are just better from my point of view with BPQ32.

          List of clients some on more than 1 machine at once.
          Uiview32
          Xastir under Linux
          Xastir in a VM under Windows
          Digi_Ned for Windows
          APRSIS32 under windows and Linux
          TsthWin
          JavAPRSSrvr Igate in Windows
          UISS Occasionally

          Tony Hunt VK5AH

        • Bill Erhardt
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
            Hi Jerry,

            That is pretty cool.  I was not aware of that possibility.  i will check it out.

            Tony VK5AH - Excellent point.  I have only 2 regular users of my BBS here in Montana.  I have my BPQ up mainly for EMCOM as I have HF/Pactor III and Winmor waiting in the back ground if internet goes down.  The RMS option is liked by our Emergency Folks for sending e-mail to the BBS as it bundles it up and sends it out.  I also have a direct connet to Winlink RMS Packet Port so folks can use RMS Express or Air Mail and include attachments....

            I have had APRS running for about 8 years with IGATE and SGATE.  BPQ was recently added and I am just having a blast. Like I mentioned, my BPQ BBS is used mainly as a EMCOM station and our ARES and RACES folks have been trained up on its use.  State of Montana DES and County DES were impressed at how effecient my system is when internet goes down.  However, in an actual emergency it could easily be overwelmed.  I had to let them know it was a stop gap measure until they got their portable satellite links up etc.... My station maybecome mute by the end of this year as the State of Monana DES is putting in a MARS Winlink Station to take over duties if all else fails

            Bill K7MT
            Enjoy life, it does have an expiration date !
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
              In talking with Ron AE5E (N5IN) he tells me he is sending DX Spots from his
              Cluster
              Via APRS Telnet, he says it is very active, I just started setting
              installing UI-VIEW last
              Night I still have to re-register my Precision Map 7 and install the NWS get
              stuff
              And Weather Station setup, then look into the cluster spots from my ARC via
              Telnet
              only, no RF here.

              Just a Note: some of guys here in SEWI have been using APRS on 145.61 the
              national
              ARES/RACES voice and RMS Nodes, this I found to be quite ridicules, how one
              can
              Have reliable Voice communications on what it suppose to be for emergency
              communications
              with APRS transmissions going out all of the time is beyond me, I listened
              to it for a couple
              of minutes and gave up.

              I guess my opinion has always been that APRS in most cases has never been
              put to good use,
              There is more to APRS then just sending out location beacons, Storm Spotting
              etc. would
              Be one good example of good use.

              73

              Mike-N9PMO

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
                Hi Tony, John & group - We used to run a APRS link to our packet node here for years. When we changed over from XRouter to BPQ32 - we could not perform this function. Users would communicate from and to the APRS network from and to the Packet network. Users could also connect via port 8000 from their UIView. If you all can remember, aprox two years ago we asked that this function be implemented into BPQ32, but was jumped on very quickly that it would not be put into BPQ32.
                We are now changing all of our Remote Nodes from XRouter to Linux/URONode. One of the reasons being that we can put Xastir onto the Remote Node.
                As Tony noted, APRS is the dominant packet users in VK land, if we could intergrate BPQ32 with APRS, more users may come back into pure packet. We are trying to overcome part of the problem - by implementing COMMANDS for users to easily transfer between nodes and talk to remote users. For the toothsayers, CHAT does not compete with this function.
                My users have requested that we implement the BPQ32 to APRS via XRouter again, We will do that in the next few months - however we have to go from BPQ32 to Linux/URONode to XRouter or via Xastir. XRouter will not connect to BPQ32 via UDP, so we solve that problem or implement first or Xastir.]
                If BPQ32 users want, we could make up a specification for APRS & BPQ32, and post here - for John to use in the cold winter of G land. [similar to the COMMAND function we distributed a few months ago.]

                Regards Rod....////

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Hunt" <wavetel@...> wrote:

                > Its interesting to see the comments re BPQ32 and APRS .
                >
                > Presently thats all I use BPQ32 for. So I guess that stands in contradiction to everyone elses comments.
                > I dont run a BBS here. The usage and interest in BBSs has died out in VK .
                >
                > So why do I use BPQ32 ? I use the AGW2BPQ side of it primarily. I found its more stable than AGWs PE .
                > I have a few different APRS clients and platforms that hop on and off with different machines on Port 800 across the Lan at different times. All of these clients are AGW complient so its very handy.
                > I also use BPQ on the APRS frequency with Connected frames to manage the Digis in the state here. Currently there are 13 Ui-Digis in use all of which I can connect to one way or another.
                > Also some of the clients are set up for HF APRS and use the same BPQ32 AGW2BPQ emulation.
                >
                > The thing is that I have all the typical Nodes beacons and stuff all turned off so you would never know it was BPQ32 behind it all. I have also found that some of the other facilities available with Port forwarding enabled on the Internet when I am on holidays are just better from my point of view with BPQ32.
                >
                > List of clients some on more than 1 machine at once.
                > Uiview32
                > Xastir under Linux
                > Xastir in a VM under Windows
                > Digi_Ned for Windows
                > APRSIS32 under windows and Linux
                > TsthWin
                > JavAPRSSrvr Igate in Windows
                > UISS Occasionally
                >
                > Tony Hunt VK5AH

              • Ron Stordahl
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
                  I have been using BPQ32 with the AGWtoBPQ interface in conjunction with UIView32 for many years nonstop.

                  It is explained in the BPQ32 Installation document in section 4.08.

                  Since we have a nearby high remote digi (UIDIGI ROM + MFJ1270C) I let that digi do the digipeating and UIView32 with BPQ32 is set not to digi, rather it is used as an IGate.
                  If you want UIView32 to digipeat you can do that in the UIView32 Setup>Digipeater Setup window.  I have in the past turned on digipeating successfully when our high digi has failed.

                  Ron AE5E (ex-N5IN)

                  Have done some reading about ui-view and bpq. I monitor 144.390 so wondering if there is a purposeful way to implement aprs with bpq? I seem to pickup more on 4.39 than any other packet freq in my location.

                • Phillip
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
                    Yes I run BPQ32 here on  my Ui-View set up as I run 3 different ports on 3 different VHF Frequencies
                    so easy on 1 PC was running 4ports  ..

                    73 Phillip
                    ZL2TZE

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 26, 2012

                      Was there a update to the BPQ32 APRS ?

                      I lost contact with you today in Chat Mode...

                      Dale KJ6IX
                    • Peter Joseph 9y4pj
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 27, 2012
                        I  have noticed that my chat mode is not working a few days now alse any help to get it back..

                        From the desk of 9Y4PJ..,,
                            Peter

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 28, 2012
                          Thanks Mike I changed the chat as you say and it working...
                          as to the forwarding I dont have rms so I don't know what going on..
                          if you see something I have setup wrong feel free to tell me so it can be corrected..Peter

                          From the desk of 9Y4PJ..,,
                              Peter

                          I  have noticed that my chat mode is not working a few days now alse any help to get it back..

                          From the desk of 9Y4PJ..,,
                              Peter

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 7, 2012
                            We have hardly any packeteers on 2 meters in this area, but APRS seems quite active, so maybe I should consider switching my 2 meter port to APRS.

                            Would someone who uses APRS send me the portion of the .cfg file that pertains to APRS?

                            Thanks.

                            Mark, KQ0I Des Moines, IA
                            markkq0i@...
                          • n5in_ron
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 7, 2012
                              Mark

                              Although our NW Minnesota DX group had an extensive 2M packet network for dx spots, this died when nearly everyone got broadband internet. Instead, and to retain tower space, it has been switched over to 144.39 APRS and gets a lot of use. There are many uncovered areas and your APRS services will be appreciated I am sure.

                              The first thing you have to do is get an APRS-IS passcode from John G8BPQ. You will need that to be able to put position packets onto the internet, so they will show up on, for example, WWW.APRS.FI.

                              John will need the call sign you intend to use, the SSID doesn't matter. He will want to give this to you privately.

                              I will get you a sample configuration later today if possible.

                              Can you give me the frequency and rough location of your most prominent voice repeater in your area, then I can include the correctly formatted frequency object for it. I would also like to know your coordinates, ideally in degrees, and minutes (and fractional minutes).

                              You can send private e-mails from the BPQ32 Yahoo Group..just go to the members listing and click on their address, or do the same for the address shown with the members posting.

                              Ron, AE5E

                              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markkq0i@...> wrote:

                              > We have hardly any packeteers on 2 meters in this area, but APRS seems quite active, so maybe I should consider switching my 2 meter port to APRS.
                              >
                              > Would someone who uses APRS send me the portion of the .cfg file that pertains to APRS?
                              >
                              > Thanks.
                              >
                              > Mark, KQ0I Des Moines, IA
                              > markkq0i@...

                            • Jerry
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 13, 2012

                                Slightly off topic..

                                Anyone know what command in the THD710A is used so it  tx’s your position based on speed of vehicle.. Plan on if I can do it in time,  have a mobile BPQ APRS setup when I travel in a couple weeks…

                                73

                                Jerry

                                http://www.n9lya.com

                                http://incomebang.com/r.cgi/n9lya

                              • james_nf8i
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 14, 2012
                                  Jerry,

                                  Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with BPQ APRS in your vehicle that the D710 doesn't do on it's own?

                                  73 de NF8I,

                                  ~James