Re: Newbie Program Usage

  • n3xpd
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
      Thanks Ron,
      I obviously have a lot to learn but I think it should be interesting.

      Mike,
      N3XPD

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ron Stordahl <ron.stordahl@d...> wrote:

      > Mike
      >
      > If you will be running DOS, then the new BPQ32, which requires Windows,
      > is not for you. Instead you would want to use bpq408a.zip which you
      can
      > find in the files section:
      >
      > One idea I would have for you, if you want to provide a local outlet
      for
      > dx spots by packet radio, is to look at
      > http://www.dxspots.com/BPQ32_Remote_ReadMe_v1r1.htm
      >
      > I have a number of such remote outlets. The software at that site
      (it's
      > my site: DXSpots.com) is for an earlier pre-beta version of BPQ32,
      > however the current beta version could easily be used. I do need to
      > update that site, but I was not planning to do so until the beta period
      > for the new BPQ32 is completed.
      >
      > Ron, N5IN
      >

      > n3xpd wrote:
      > > Hello to the group, I hope my questions are not to off topic.
      > >
      > > Name here is Mike Warner.
      > > Amateur call is N3XPD.
      > >
      > > I have recently become sysop of the local clubs packet system (nobody
      > > else wanted it).
      > > There was a broken flexnet/fbb system running with no network traffic
      > > and no local usage. I shut that down and decided to start over. The
      > > equipment from this old system is still on site and available for use.
      > > There are 3 Tiny2 TNC's(6pack?), a DOS-PC, and radio equipment for 2M
      > > and 1.25M.
      > >
      > > Right now the operating system consists of a KPC-3+, a VHF transceiver
      > > and antenna, running standalone with only the KPC3's BBS and KA-Node.
      > >
      > > I'm pretty new to all of this and have no previous sysop experience.
      > > I am trying to decide on how to procede in building the system. Right
      > > now I'm thinking that I want to end up with the FBB BBS and some form
      > > of networking. So with some searching I found this group.
      > >
      > > Is BPQ32 something that I should be considering? At this point I don't
      > > even know what it does. Or, should I be looking at something else (not
      > > in beta) that has been tried and proven?
      > >
      > > On another group I heard about a MYSYS BBS, any comments? I understand
      > > that it is not longer in development and I was hoping to find
      > > something more current. But if the MYSYS is fairly easy to set up, I'm
      > > thinking that it may be a good place to start.
      > >
      > > Or, can someone point me in the right direction for more info on
      > > setting up a club type packet system? Something like "Amateur Packet
      > > Radio Sysoping for the Beginner" would be nice.
      > > I haven't found any active discussions on FBB or other BBS's.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Mike, N3XPD

      > > Ham radio

      > > John wiseman

      > > Craft hobby

      > > Hobby and craft supply

      > > Icom ham radio

    • n3xpd
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
        Duane,
        Thank you much for the reply.
        I'm a little uncertain about what you mean by a "full blown BBS".
        I guess that means something like FBB as compared to the KPC-3's built
        in BBS. I'll look into the SNOS though and see if it looks like
        something that I could manage.

        73
        Mike, N3XPD