Re: [BPQ32] kpc-3+

  • K.O. Higgs
    Message 1 of 10 , May 16, 2011
      A KPC3Plus can't do KISS???  You might want to check that out.
      Try "INT KISS"

      73,  K.O. n0kfq

      On 5/16/2011 5:31 PM, G7UXW wrote:

      hi all
      how do i get bpq32 to work with a kpc-3+tnc,, baring in mind a kpc-3+ cant be put into kiss mode.. tried bpqhost.. nothing

      kevin g7uxw

      No virus found in this message.

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@...

    • Rick Nicholson
      Message 2 of 10 , May 16, 2011
        I'm running a kpc3+ v9.0 here as well in Kiss mode, No problems

        Message 3 of 10 , May 16, 2011

          > I'm running a kpc3+ v9.0 here as well in Kiss mode, No problems

          It's been fairly well proven in the APRS world that IGate's using
          KPC3+'s in KISS mode have a tendency to get plugged after a week or so
          and start delaying packets by multiples of minutes. This leads to
          ping-ponging positions on the APRS network. The solution is either
          to not use a KPC3+ or reset/reboot it every day or so.

          Maybe the bursty operation of a BBS prevents this from happening.

          Bill - WA7NWP
        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 10 , May 16, 2011

            I use two one for APRS and one for  VHF Packet never had that problem in KISS mode… under BPQ32… Never used it outside BPQ32 in KISS mode…

            Use BPQMAILCHAT for VHF Packet Forwarding and UIVIEW32 under BPQ32 for APRS …

            Nary a problem..

            73 jerry

            > I'm running a kpc3+ v9.0 here as well in Kiss mode, No problems

            It's been fairly well proven in the APRS world that IGate's using
            KPC3+'s in KISS mode have a tendency to get plugged after a week or so
            and start delaying packets by multiples of minutes. This leads to
            ping-ponging positions on the APRS network. The solution is either
            to not use a KPC3+ or reset/reboot it every day or so.

            Maybe the bursty operation of a BBS prevents this from happening.

            Bill - WA7NWP

          • Jeff - WA4ZKO
            Message 5 of 10 , May 16, 2011
              I have a few of the KPC3+'s, v8.2 firmware (non buggy v8.2 version) and they are rock solid units. One runs standalone for the APRS digi, uptime measured in years (no kidding), rock solid unit with excellent demod performance. Don't think I've ever had it lockup and has been in service on a very busy channel here between 4 major metro areas since at least 1997/1998. Another one is under BPQ32 in XKISS mode, no problems.

              73
              Jeff
              WA4ZKO

              > I use two one for APRS and one for VHF Packet never had that problem in
              > KISS mode. under BPQ32. Never used it outside BPQ32 in KISS mode.
              >

              > Use BPQMAILCHAT for VHF Packet Forwarding and UIVIEW32 under BPQ32 for APRS
              > .
              >

              > Nary a problem..
              >
              > 73 jerry

            • Bill V WA7NWP
              Message 6 of 10 , May 17, 2011
                > I have a few of the KPC3+'s, v8.2 firmware (non buggy v8.2 version) and they are rock solid units. One runs standalone for the APRS digi, uptime measured in years (no kidding), rock solid unit with excellent demod performance. Don't think I've ever had it lockup and has been in service on a very busy channel here between 4 major metro areas since at least 1997/1998.

                They don't lock up. They start delaying packets by minutes which
                means the delayed packets are outside the 30 second duplicate filter
                window and thus are accepted as additional legitimate packets. This
                results in really weird paths with jumps back and forth between
                current and old positions. It doesn't show in normal operation
                unless somebody notices the strange behavior and recognizes what it
                is.

                I think somebody is working out a way to scan the entire aprs-is feed
                and pick out the Igates doing this that haven't been recognized.

                It's going to be interesting seeing how this works out and what the
                real cause is...

                Bill - WA7NWP
              • Jerry
                Message 7 of 10 , May 17, 2011

                  Ahh I see IGATES….  I do not run an APRS Igate and if I understand won’t have a problem..

                  I do know many that do with KPC3+ (does this apply to the KAM+ and KAMXL?? ).. I will watch for that particular phenomenon. On APRS..

                  But the Packet side would not even need to raise a hair of concern… 73 jerry

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 17, 2011
                    > Ahh I see IGATES….  I do not run an APRS Igate and if I understand won’t have a problem..
                    >

                    > I do know many that do with KPC3+ (does this apply to the KAM+ and KAMXL?? ).. I will watch for that particular phenomenon. On APRS..

                    It's only been reported for the KPC 3+, not even the pre 'plus' KPC 3.

                    > But the Packet side would not even need to raise a hair of concern…

                    For a TNC in KISS mode, the only difference between APRS and
                    'connected Packet" would be the packet frequency and quantity...

                    > 73 jerry

                    Bill