Re: [BPQ32] DOSFBB with BPQ32

  • K.O. Higgs
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 4:52 PM
      I am running WFBB and BPQMailChat on the same machine and on the same BPQ32....
      but I am using XP to do it. Don't know if Win98 can do it.

      K.O. n0kfq

      On 5/1/2011 3:29 PM, Charles wrote:

      Is it possible to run DOSFBB with BPQ32 in my Win98 machine?

      I have tried WinFBB, but the housekeeping never seems to work on it, the messages just pile up.

      Also: is there a special drill for running FBB and BPQMailChat on the same BPQ32?

      If I could do this, it would save me the trouble of setting up another computer here.

      73 DE Charles, N5PVL

      No virus found in this message.

      K.O. Higgs
      n0kfq@...

    • Peter - ZL2BAU
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 5:03 PM
        On 02/05/11 08:29, Charles wrote:

        Is it possible to run DOSFBB with BPQ32 in my Win98 machine?

        I have tried WinFBB, but the housekeeping never seems to work on it, the messages just pile up.

        Also: is there a special drill for running FBB and BPQMailChat on the same BPQ32?

        If I could do this, it would save me the trouble of setting up another computer here.

        73 DE Charles, N5PVL

        HI Charles,

                         Yes you can run DOSFBB and BPQ but the 16 bit version, ran it for a number of years before I changed over to a complete Linux setup for the BBS etc.

        I would suggest you run WinFBB and BPQ32, WinFBB does do housekeeping as expected so if yours is not doing it, then you don`t have it setup correctly.

        Here I run Windows98se on the test machine and it runs, BPQ32, BPQMailChat, WinFBB and the Linux fbbW client for Windows.

        Regards ..... Peter

      • bolt637
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3 5:12 AM
          Hi CHarles. If you can get DosFBB to run in a
          dos window, you can interface it with the switch by using the
          bpq16.dll that john has in the related files folder
          of bpq32. you rename that DLL to TFWIN.DLL and put
          it in your fbb directory. Then setup your port.sys
          to use the TFWIN interface rather than ay serial
          ports. Then you use BPQ to do the serial comms with the tnc.
          This works like a charm with winfbb16 but I am not so sure
          dos fbb will run in a dos window under 98.

          If you want to debug your FBB16 to houseclean, take
          another long look at runfbb.bat in your fbb/bin directory.
          It has some important paths that need to be set. When
          fbb does message filtering, white pages updates, and
          housecleaning it loads and runs a bunch of MS-DOS
          programs to do it. I think the paths to those need to
          be setup in runfbb.bat

          Good luck and best 73,

          Steven - N1OHX

          Message 4 of 8 , May 3 6:14 AM
            Actually the system for running DOS programs with BPQ32 only works with NT or above - see http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ1632.htm

            I can't think of an easy way to run DOS FBB with BPQ32 on Win98. It might be possible with some combination of serial loopback and a KISS or TNC2 interface.

            Hi CHarles. If you can get DosFBB to run in a
            dos window, you can interface it with the switch by using the
            bpq16.dll that john has in the related files folder
            of bpq32. you rename that DLL to TFWIN.DLL and put
            it in your fbb directory. Then setup your port.sys
            to use the TFWIN interface rather than ay serial
            ports. Then you use BPQ to do the serial comms with the tnc.
            This works like a charm with winfbb16 but I am not so sure
            dos fbb will run in a dos window under 98.

            If you want to debug your FBB16 to houseclean, take
            another long look at runfbb.bat in your fbb/bin directory.
            It has some important paths that need to be set. When
            fbb does message filtering, white pages updates, and
            housecleaning it loads and runs a bunch of MS-DOS
            programs to do it. I think the paths to those need to
            be setup in runfbb.bat

            Good luck and best 73,

            Steven - N1OHX

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <n5pvl@...> wrote:

            > Is it possible to run DOSFBB
            with BPQ32 in my Win98 machine?

            > I have tried WinFBB, but the
            housekeeping never seems to work on it, the messages just pile up.

            > Also: is there a special drill for running FBB and BPQMailChat on the
            same BPQ32?

            > If I could do this, it would save me the trouble of
            setting up another computer here.

            > 73 DE Charles,
            N5PVL

          • Charles Brabham
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3 7:17 AM
              Sorry, guys. I should have been clear about the version I am using. - I am running WinFBB 7.01.35 alpha right now, the 32-bit version.

              I have never seen any evidence that the housekeeping function is working on my copy of WinFBB32 - or the copy that I had before that.

              Is anyone else experiencing the same problem with 32-bit WinFBB?

              My problem with 16-bit WinFBB has been in trying to find archive files that are not corrupted. After dowloading bad archive files from three different online sources, I gave up and went back to using the 32-bit version.

              BPQMailChat handles my activity on the SkipNets just fine, but I need some of FBB's features for the HamRadioNet stuff, to keep it on the up and up. - I'll keep fooling around with it until I get both BBS systems talking to the same switch, at the same time.

              Right now I am having to do one network at a time - by shutting down one BBS program, changing frequency and then bringing up the other BBS program. I have two HF rigs now, so I'm wanting to run both networks at the same time 24/7 , and not have to change things around twice a day.

              73 DE Charles, N5PVL

              Hi CHarles. If you can get DosFBB to run in a
              dos window, you can interface it with the switch by using the
              bpq16.dll that john has in the related files folder
              of bpq32. you rename that DLL to TFWIN.DLL and put
              it in your fbb directory. Then setup your port.sys
              to use the TFWIN interface rather than ay serial
              ports. Then you use BPQ to do the serial comms with the tnc.
              This works like a charm with winfbb16 but I am not so sure
              dos fbb will run in a dos window under 98.

              If you want to debug your FBB16 to houseclean, take
              another long look at runfbb.bat in your fbb/bin directory.
              It has some important paths that need to be set. When
              fbb does message filtering, white pages updates, and
              housecleaning it loads and runs a bunch of MS-DOS
              programs to do it. I think the paths to those need to
              be setup in runfbb.bat

              Good luck and best 73,

              Steven - N1OHX

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <n5pvl@...> wrote:

              > Is it possible to run DOSFBB with BPQ32 in my Win98 machine?
              >
              > I have tried WinFBB, but the housekeeping never seems to work on it, the messages just pile up.
              >
              > Also: is there a special drill for running FBB and BPQMailChat on the same BPQ32?
              >
              > If I could do this, it would save me the trouble of setting up another computer here.
              >
              > 73 DE Charles, N5PVL

            • DEC
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3 4:01 PM
                I also run that version with no issues. I had to add the DLL fix for the call sign duplication but housekeeping works fine.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 8 , May 4 9:13 AM
                  Charles

                  7.01-35 was never finished, included is some updates that will solve the
                  corrupt call sign problems and enable housekeep threw the registry, please
                  read
                  the instruction carefully, if you have any problems let me know.

                  Mike-N9PMO