Re: Newbie Program Usage

  • dshults
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
      Mike,
      As Ron suggested, BPQ408a is the node software you want, unless
      you are also thinking of maintaining a full blown BBS. I might
      suggest Hanks SNOS. It provides full netrom capability, handles
      your KPC-3 just fine in kiss mode, supports all BBS/message
      handling capability and places it all in a TCP/IP wrapper if need
      be. Sits on a house ethernet network for easy sysop and message
      support from any Windows machine with a news reader and/or e-mail
      client. Hanks program has officially been in beta for over 6 years
      (although it has matured many times), but it recently has gone to
      a "released" version. Lots of bells and whistles. Many configuration
      examples are also provided. For low speed and above pentium
      machines running DOS 6.22.

      Grab the SNOS Version 1.2R Installer here:
      http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli/
      Features list (may need update?):
      http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli/nosdoc/about.htm

      ... Duane N7QDN

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "n3xpd" <n3xpd@y...> wrote:

      > Hello to the group, I hope my questions are not to off topic.
      >
      > Name here is Mike Warner.
      > Amateur call is N3XPD.
      >
      > I have recently become sysop of the local clubs packet system
      (nobody
      > else wanted it).
      > There was a broken flexnet/fbb system running with no network
      traffic
      > and no local usage. I shut that down and decided to start over. The
      > equipment from this old system is still on site and available for
      use.
      > There are 3 Tiny2 TNC's(6pack?), a DOS-PC, and radio equipment for
      2M
      > and 1.25M.
      >
      > Right now the operating system consists of a KPC-3+, a VHF
      transceiver
      > and antenna, running standalone with only the KPC3's BBS and KA-
      Node.

      > I'm pretty new to all of this and have no previous sysop
      experience.
      > I am trying to decide on how to procede in building the system.
      Right
      > now I'm thinking that I want to end up with the FBB BBS and some
      form
      > of networking. So with some searching I found this group.
      >
      > Is BPQ32 something that I should be considering? At this point I
      don't
      > even know what it does. Or, should I be looking at something else
      (not
      > in beta) that has been tried and proven?
      >
      > On another group I heard about a MYSYS BBS, any comments? I
      understand
      > that it is not longer in development and I was hoping to find
      > something more current. But if the MYSYS is fairly easy to set up,
      I'm
      > thinking that it may be a good place to start.
      >
      > Or, can someone point me in the right direction for more info on
      > setting up a club type packet system? Something like "Amateur
      Packet
      > Radio Sysoping for the Beginner" would be nice.
      > I haven't found any active discussions on FBB or other BBS's.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mike, N3XPD

    • n3xpd
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
        Thanks Ron,
        I obviously have a lot to learn but I think it should be interesting.

        Mike,
        N3XPD

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ron Stordahl <ron.stordahl@d...> wrote:

        > Mike
        >
        > If you will be running DOS, then the new BPQ32, which requires Windows,
        > is not for you. Instead you would want to use bpq408a.zip which you
        can
        > find in the files section:
        >
        > One idea I would have for you, if you want to provide a local outlet
        for
        > dx spots by packet radio, is to look at
        > http://www.dxspots.com/BPQ32_Remote_ReadMe_v1r1.htm
        >
        > I have a number of such remote outlets. The software at that site
        (it's
        > my site: DXSpots.com) is for an earlier pre-beta version of BPQ32,
        > however the current beta version could easily be used. I do need to
        > update that site, but I was not planning to do so until the beta period
        > for the new BPQ32 is completed.
        >
        > Ron, N5IN
        >

        > n3xpd wrote:
        > > Hello to the group, I hope my questions are not to off topic.
        > >
        > > Name here is Mike Warner.
        > > Amateur call is N3XPD.
        > >
        > > I have recently become sysop of the local clubs packet system (nobody
        > > else wanted it).
        > > There was a broken flexnet/fbb system running with no network traffic
        > > and no local usage. I shut that down and decided to start over. The
        > > equipment from this old system is still on site and available for use.
        > > There are 3 Tiny2 TNC's(6pack?), a DOS-PC, and radio equipment for 2M
        > > and 1.25M.
        > >
        > > Right now the operating system consists of a KPC-3+, a VHF transceiver
        > > and antenna, running standalone with only the KPC3's BBS and KA-Node.
        > >
        > > I'm pretty new to all of this and have no previous sysop experience.
        > > I am trying to decide on how to procede in building the system. Right
        > > now I'm thinking that I want to end up with the FBB BBS and some form
        > > of networking. So with some searching I found this group.
        > >
        > > Is BPQ32 something that I should be considering? At this point I don't
        > > even know what it does. Or, should I be looking at something else (not
        > > in beta) that has been tried and proven?
        > >
        > > On another group I heard about a MYSYS BBS, any comments? I understand
        > > that it is not longer in development and I was hoping to find
        > > something more current. But if the MYSYS is fairly easy to set up, I'm
        > > thinking that it may be a good place to start.
        > >
        > > Or, can someone point me in the right direction for more info on
        > > setting up a club type packet system? Something like "Amateur Packet
        > > Radio Sysoping for the Beginner" would be nice.
        > > I haven't found any active discussions on FBB or other BBS's.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Mike, N3XPD

        > > Ham radio

        > > John wiseman

        > > Craft hobby

        > > Hobby and craft supply

        > > Icom ham radio

      • n3xpd
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
          Duane,
          Thank you much for the reply.
          I'm a little uncertain about what you mean by a "full blown BBS".
          I guess that means something like FBB as compared to the KPC-3's built
          in BBS. I'll look into the SNOS though and see if it looks like
          something that I could manage.

          73
          Mike, N3XPD