Re: Query

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2011
      Unfortunately this is one of the "dead horse" topics that has been argued and debated for a couple decades with nil progress ;-) Really no different than the internet links vs no internet links arguments.

      As some said, many folks play with these values without understanding their impact on their network and those around them. The problems really kick in when you link to folks that chose quality values WIDELY divergent from the defaults chosen by the software authors vs just making minor tweaks as needed.

      I've even ran across folks that swear that raising the quality values made the link work better ;-)

      Moving on....

      You can usually tackle these problems by:

      1. Using locked routes can help with your node list bloat.

      2. Adjusting your MINQUAL values up slowly can help with how much "non-local" stuff you're broadcasting on RF.

      3. You can also use an "upstream" node/hub to provide a buffer between your local network and retain wide connectivity as needed.

      I've found a combination of the above takes care of most needs.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
      "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
      Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
      http://twitter.com/wa4zko