Query

  • WS7I
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2011
      Just wondering as I slowly increase some access to my nodes why most
      people seem to have the same quality set for all of your applications.
      e.g. Node at 195, BBS also at 195, and Chat at 195, rms at 195.

      So this results in my node getting 4 links to you all at the same
      quality. Thus I send these along to nodes that I am connected to
      (some of which are on VHF RF) that has links to four of your nodes
      when there is really no need and in fact I don't think folks on my VHF
      partners really want to go to your chat or your bbs, when they have
      local bbs' that they can use.

      In fact that's why I have few people that I link with as for example
      one of my partners has 100's of nodes most of which are all over the
      world, so I actually reduce access to this so that at least the nodes
      in my list are local and reachable.

      Just curious, as this node is primarily just an ARES/RACES node with
      soon to be NTSD traffic.

      Jay
    • K.O. Higgs
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2011
        I have the same problem... and handle it the same way. I think most of the BPQ32 node-ops
        have little experience with real radio network nodes.

        K.O. n0kfq

        On 4/29/2011 9:33 AM, WS7I wrote:

[...]

        No virus found in this message.

        K.O. Higgs
        n0kfq@...

      • Ken Jacobs
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2011
          OK....here is the best explanation I have.

          Most folks run their own APPS (ie BBS, CHAT, RMS) at a high QUALITY value so they get a high rating on the node list. This also makes it easy to for some folks (like myself) to only send my own nodes to an adjacent RF node partner and leave out the rest of my list. This is filtered down using the MINQUAL and QUALITY settings in your BPQ32 config.

          We use a "standard" QUALITY of 210 for AXIP ports and 190 for RF ports (although, even these values can be tweaked depending on what you are trying to achieve)......then your MINQUAL can be adjusted to expand or shrink your node list to a manageable size.....usually a MINQUAL of 170 is a good starting place. You can tweak it up or down as needed.

          The QUALITY is supposed to help determine how many hops away the nodes on your list are....I generally try to limit nodes on my list to only 1-2 hops away. Again this depends on your network structure as well.

          Ken KD6PGI

[...]

      • Jeff - WA4ZKO
        Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2011
          Unfortunately this is one of the "dead horse" topics that has been argued and debated for a couple decades with nil progress ;-) Really no different than the internet links vs no internet links arguments.

          As some said, many folks play with these values without understanding their impact on their network and those around them. The problems really kick in when you link to folks that chose quality values WIDELY divergent from the defaults chosen by the software authors vs just making minor tweaks as needed.

          I've even ran across folks that swear that raising the quality values made the link work better ;-)

          Moving on....

          You can usually tackle these problems by:

          1. Using locked routes can help with your node list bloat.

          2. Adjusting your MINQUAL values up slowly can help with how much "non-local" stuff you're broadcasting on RF.

          3. You can also use an "upstream" node/hub to provide a buffer between your local network and retain wide connectivity as needed.

          I've found a combination of the above takes care of most needs.

          73
          Jeff
          WA4ZKO
          "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
          Packet: WA4ZKO@WA4ZKO.#NKY.KY.USA.NOAM
          http://twitter.com/wa4zko