HF Port for less then you think

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2011

      I see some here think and HF port has to be expensive. Non sense.. I have added HF here and at other locations for low dollars…

      Ingredients to get on the HF skipnet on 20 40 or 30 meter..

      1 $200 or less TS530 Kenwood add one Xtl $25 from International Crystal. I can calculate your XTL for the TS520 for our skipnets.. My Second HF port was a FT301 + a $20 xtl… Radio was considered trash took me three weeks to repair it for $43 in parts and a can of deoxit… Actually any low end HF rig new or used will probably work if it can be crystaled..  ICOM 735 FT840 etc can still be found on the used market….

      1 $50 Kam TNC this can be used on the VHF side at the same time.. Thus no need to buy a separate VHF TNC.. ADD one VHF Radio and Antenna and you have a complete station.

      1 Homemade Inverted V Quality built.. $75 including RG8 Coax.

      If  one  cannot afford this you probably cannot afford to do VHF either…

      Not directed at any individual.. Just a reminder that it does not have to cost a lot..

      The above was my First 20 meter Forwarding Station on 14.098

      Yes know I have many rigs.. I bought 90% of my station from the Used Market…

      I do have some used gear.

      I have a large digital station.. I built over the years adding as I found bargains or just decided to buy new…

      You can have a complete HF Forwarding BBS for a lot less then you think.. One HF Forwarding port and one VHF user port..

      73 jerry n9lya