Re: [BPQ32] Re: N5MDT stopping use of BPQ

  • DEC
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2011
      They don't want any competition from those yachts while trying to get their tax papers in! LOL!

      On Apr 1, 2011, at 3:11 PM, "Jerry" <n9lya@...> wrote:

      Well said jeff.

      Lets have fun…Radios on full and ready..

      Looking for HF RF Forwarding Partners.. WINMOR or PACTOR I II III  I scan and can modify my frequencies to match any you are already using. FOR BBS Message forwarding.

      73 jerry n9lya

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2011
        My 20 meter port was up an running on packet before they knew what digital was. I'm not going anywhere. It will take more than their constant carrier QRMing us to make me go away.

        On Apr 1, 2011, at 3:43 PM, yate4899@... wrote:

        That is why I only do VHF/UHF and internet packet . Hopefully I can stay out of trouble that way :-) N4JOA

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        I've got a posting I typed up over lunch, but I can't bring myself to press "send" on it yet.

        You know me, I tend to stir up hornets nests. Sometimes that is is a needed thing (eg my reality check bombs). But too often folks just don't read my rants in their entirety and choose to focus on one sentence that struck a nerve. From there we both know where it goes ;-)

        As someone said, how about we just get back to playing radio and havin' fun ;-)

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO

        > Jeff ,
        >

        > I can only guess at what is going on based on recent transgressions..
        >

        > I only have to ask because in less then one day my WINMOR BBS forwarding has
        > been totally devastated..
        >

        > "Are WL2K people threatening/complaining to WINMOR BBS Forwarding Stations
        > or what." If they are bring it on..
        >

        > I base this also on the fact that within the last two weeks all WINMOR and
        > PACKET RMS Reporting from BPQ32 has been deactivated, as well.
        >

        > I had two really good BBS forwarding Partners and as of today I have 0..
        > Besides the HF Skipnet these two were my primary feeds via WINMOR . Now
        > they are silenced.
        >

        > UGH.. Hate to see them go.. They were my two only winmor partners for BBS
        > Forwarding, and reallu good covered most of the day and evenings between the
        > two. I Hope it was only coincidence.. As I have heard RUMORS that the
        > WINLINK guys hated us doing BBS forwarding on 14.112 But that was hearsay
        > from others whom I did not forward with.. So It could be false info..
        >

        > 73 Jerry N9LYA
        >
        > Disappointed in the directions were are moving. I hope we can recover from
        > losses such as these.. We need our HF RF Links. RF is the most important
        > reality of all this..
        >
        > SO much for buying a second Signal Link I see no need, no need at all.
        >

        > I too do not understand what is lacking but I was not involved with any
        > conversations as to any wish list items he might have had.

      • W6IDS
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2011

          HUH?  "constant carrier"???  What is that?

          Howard W6IDS

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2011

            On our HF Packet nets we suffer from QRM… Some we believe is from the Propnet a few rough stations that do not follow the Propnet Freq list now power levels.. and just beacon constantly..

            Also on our HF Skipnets we have someone very occasionally just sitting there sending connect requests over and over and over.. Either they have retries set at 1.5M or they are sitting there for 8 to 12 hours calling and calling and calling…

            73 jerry

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 1, 2011

              Actually… We have worked with Pactor and others who may operate on or near  our skipnet and not had problems.. They general come in call a station pass some traffic and are gone.. What SEEMS to be happening now is either a new HAM who may need guidance,  a REAL LID  or a malicious attempt to shut us down… as Dave said.. I can run Packet until the last electron flows thru this station they will not run us off..

              This morning it was happening on two of our nets at the same time.. Just seems odd it is always nothing more than calling calling calling.. Total waste of effort of any kind regardless if it is attempted to be legit or malicious..

              It comes and goes.. Just a general pain in the Transistors…

              73 jerry

[...]

              • Jerry
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 1, 2011

                  Yes we do… Good job DAVE… 73 jerry

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 1, 2011

                    Thanks for the time you were on with us.. It was greatly appreciated…

                    73 Jerry

                    Yell if you do return..

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 2, 2011

                      He's probably referring to malicious interference, typically coming from Winlinkers who read something on the internet that they didn't like.

                      In my experience, whenever anybody speaks up about their lid-like operating habits online - they arrainge for a little extra bit of interference on the frequency being talked about.

                      It's the only tool in their little toolbox. - It's what they know how to do best.

                      There was one occasion where it didn't work out that way though, so not all hope is lost.

                      Attend carefully:

                      One day, after watching WinLinkers crash my Packet QSOs for years on 14.098 ( Notice how I don't worry about listing the frequency? )
                      I decided to start documenting the interference.

                      Using screenshots to document the waterfall action, and MixW's PACTOR I rx capability to gather callsigns of offending WinLink client stations callsigns ( when they used callsigns ) within a few weeks, I had documentation and ID's related to over seventy-five interference events.

                      The WinLink 'leadership' was blaming the inteference on the client stations instead of the servers at that time, so I took him at his word and concentrated on the client stations.

                      My criteria was that the station had to actually transmit right on top of an ongoing QSO, and I had to personally witness the event. - Just being on frequrency when it was clear did not qualify a Winlink client for the lid-list.

                      They had to be obvious, easy to document lids.

                      Then I started publishing my screen-shots and my Lid-list on QRZed.com.

                      There were flustered protestations of innocence, ( in the face of incontrovertable evidence ) redefinitions of the word "is", and of course I was called every name in the book and got all kinds of nasty-grams in my email inbox.

                      The old "I didn't hear it" excuse did not fly in the face of over seventy-five interference events within a couple of weeks. The claim of not being able to hear a Packet net that included stations all over the US didn't go over very well, either.

                      For a few days after that, there were TONS of Winlink interference events on 14.098 - but it tapered off very quickly because...

                      Lo-and Behold! - WinLink clients didn't want to be spotlighted as lids on on QRZed, and started avoiding 14.098. - A good 70% of the interference went away - and it stayed that way. Today, five years later, there is still significantly less WinLink interference on that frequency, compared to lets say, 14.105 or any of the other automated packet sub-bands.

                      The WB0TAX server is still stubbornly parked there after all these years - but he doesn't get much business on that frequency.  :-)

                      I realize of course that I'll probably see some extra interference on 14.098 after posting this, but you know what?

                      I also know that it won't last very long at all - for the obvious reason.

                      I did this - and so can anyone else.

                      73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

                      Prefer to use radio for your amateur radio communications? - Stop by at HamRadioNet.Org !

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 2, 2011
                        Thank you for your brilliant and fresh observations Charles....But no need to bother to sign your name and call sign. Your bias, rants and distortions of the truth are so well know by all that it makes it unnecessary.  IMHO it just adds credibility to the saying...Those that CAN...DO....those that can’t DO blog.

                        Rick Muething, KN6KB

                      • Mike Brogan
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 2, 2011
                          Don't really think this sort of "discussion" belongs on this list at all!!

                          Mike, g8jhe........

                          Thank you for your brilliant and fresh observations Charles....But no need
                          to bother to sign your name and call sign. Your bias, rants and
                          distortions of the truth are so well know by all that it makes it
                          unnecessary. IMHO it just adds credibility to the saying...Those that
                          CAN...DO....those that can’t DO blog.

                          Rick Muething, KN6KB

                          -----
                          No virus found in this message.
                        • yate4899@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 2, 2011
                            Thank You Mike. I agree. Joel N4JOA

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 2, 2011

                              Know what else?  I hit the DEL key and it isn't there -

                              oops, did the same thing to yours and Joel's. . . POOOF!

                              Gone.  No worries.  <GRIN>  Cheers -

                              Howard W6IDS
                              Richmond, IN Em79NV

                              I guess now I'm sending to no one. . . . <SIGH>
                              I still want Fish 'n Chips!
                              Don't really think this sort of "discussion" belongs on this list at all!!

                              Mike, g8jhe........

                            • Rick Nicholson
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 2, 2011
                                No come on guys... it can't be that bad?    If it is, then settle it like men....pistols at at 100 paces.

                                I thought this hobby was suppose to be fun?

                                73's to both sides of the dispute!

                                Hope you all get over it soon!!