RE: [BPQ32] Re: routing incorrect

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
      BPQ won't generate high quailites so it doesn't really matter. The better way is to stop BPQ32 from sending NODES to other BPQ32 INP3 stations (by leaving the B off the MAP statement), But generally I wouldn't use INP3 between BPQ nodes. The exception may be if you have only a small number of BPQ nodes in a mainly XNET network.

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
        John,

        Probably related to this, since they seem to occur simultaniously. I often notice that some stations are missing their alias in the nodeslist. Like for instance at the moment of writing XnYSM:PI1YSM-10 is listed as merely PI1YSM-10 on Sergej's UT1HZM-5's nodeslist. Some other stations are missing their alias too.

        When I see this I can be sure that the link to Sergej fails and that some XNet servers have "taken over" the routing path. As said: restarting the node solves this connectivity problem and missing alias problem. And the common denominator in both problems is XNet node...

        One last remark. I had links to Xnet nodes (VE2PKT and PI1DXC) and then this problem never occurred. It started when I openend an AX/UDP link to PI1YSM-10 that is a XNet node. Not necessarily putting the blame there, nor on XNet nodes, but on the inter operation between BPQ and (some) XNet nodes.

        Marc

        > Marc,
        >
        > XNET stations generate stupidly high quality values for AX/UDP NETROM
        > connections. This is due to the algorithm used to convert INP3 Round Trip
        > times to NETROM qualities - it is fine for radio links with an RTT of
        > several seconds, but gives values over 250 for subsecond links.
        >
        > The best solution is to run INP3 on all links from BPQ32 to XNET, and other
        > software that insists on using INP3. BPQ32 will then use the INP3 round trip
        > times, and ignore the spurious NETROM qualities.
        >
        > To enable INP3, you need to lock a route to the staion, with the quality set
        > very low (but not zero) and the INP3 Flag Set, eg
        >
        > PI1YSM-10,1,P,0,0,0,1 where P is the AXIP port number.

      • marc_pd4u
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
          John,

          4 out of 7 AX/UDP links are to BPQ nodes. But I have never experienced problems before when I had only 2 links: 1 to PI1DZC (XNet) and 1 to PI1SNK (BPQ). Both using INP3. So INP3 works fine as far as I can see.

          I have set all links, whether to BPQ or XNet nodes to 1. See what happens.

          Marc

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
            Marc,

            A couple of possibilites.

            Some XNET nodes sometimes send routing updates without an Alias.

            Or, if you get connect request from a node that isn't in your nodes list, it wll be added, but the alias isn't known.

            73,

            Probably related to this, since they seem to occur simultaniously. I often notice that some stations are missing their alias in the nodeslist. Like for instance at the moment of writing XnYSM:PI1YSM-10 is listed as merely PI1YSM-10 on Sergej's UT1HZM-5's nodeslist. Some other stations are missing their alias too.

            When I see this I can be sure that the link to Sergej fails and that some XNet servers have "taken over" the routing path. As said: restarting the node solves this connectivity problem and missing alias problem. And the common denominator in both problems is XNet node...

            One last remark. I had links to Xnet nodes (VE2PKT and PI1DXC) and then this problem never occurred. It started when I openend an AX/UDP link to PI1YSM-10 that is a XNet node. Not necessarily putting the blame there, nor on XNet nodes, but on the inter operation between BPQ and (some) XNet nodes.

            Marc

            > Marc,

            XNET stations generate stupidly high quality values for AX/UDP NETROM

            connections. This is due to the algorithm used to convert INP3 Round Trip
            > times to NETROM qualities - it is fine for radio links with an RTT
            of
            > several seconds, but gives values over 250 for subsecond
            links.

            > The best solution is to run INP3 on all links from BPQ32
            to XNET, and other
            > software that insists on using INP3. BPQ32 will then
            use the INP3 round trip
            > times, and ignore the spurious NETROM
            qualities.

            > To enable INP3, you need to lock a route to the
            staion, with the quality set
            > very low (but not zero) and the INP3 Flag
            Set, eg

            > PI1YSM-10,1,P,0,0,0,1 where P is the AXIP port
            number.

            [BPQ32] routing incorrect

            > Hi
            all,

            > I have an AX/UDP link to UT1HZM-5. And UT1HZM-5 only has
            AX/UDP links to me
            > and VK2DOT. But I have several links to XNet servers:
            PI1YSM-10 and VE2PKT.

            > Now what happens: after a while I can't
            connect to UT1HZM-5 anymore,
            > although he is in my routin list ánd is
            active, because the routing is
            > directed to PI1YSM-10 (i.e. a XNet
            station). When i connect to PI1YSM-10 and
            > give the command "n ut1hzm-5"
            then PI1YSM responds:

            :
            > route: PI1YSM-10 PI8APE-12 UT1HZM-5 PI8APE-12 PI1YSM-10*
            >
            > When I choose "Clear nodes and reread config" all is FB again. But then
            it
            > is necessary to restart my node every 24h or so...

            Marc, PD4U/PI8APE

            href="http://pd4u.dyndns.org">http://pd4u.dyndns.org

            Marc

          • W6IDS
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
              Let me echo the sentiments also.  You two will be missed.
              Lots of expertise.

              Howard W6IDS
              Richmond, IN EM79NV
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                Marc, I already has quality =1 for our INP3 link.

                I'm not expert but think INP3 should be better for internet links
                as it not send broadcasts, just send nodes data inside connected links.

                It should be better to prevent cases like with link to VK2DOT problem
                (both nodes gets broadcasts, but can't make connection for unknown reason)

                P.S. Rod, vk2dot, pse send me by privat reply your AXUDP and Routes config of BPQ32,
                lets check it again before you will switch to linux-node?

                73, Sergej
              • Dave Webb
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                  I understand Hank, I have the same problem with my MARS bbs so I did the same.
                  Thanks for testing with me.
                  73
                  Dave
                  WB2HVF

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                    As said: not blaming the XNet Nodes, nor any station in particular, because it might be me that caused the problem vebause I had defined the quality of the AX/UDP link at 255. I have now set it to 1.

                    73 de Marc, PD4U

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Sergej" <rttyman@...> wrote:

                    > Marc, I already has quality =1 for our INP3 link.
                    >
                    > I'm not expert but think INP3 should be better for internet links
                    > as it not send broadcasts, just send nodes data inside connected links.
                    >
                    > It should be better to prevent cases like with link to VK2DOT problem
                    > (both nodes gets broadcasts, but can't make connection for unknown reason)
                    >

                    > P.S. Rod, vk2dot, pse send me by privat reply your AXUDP and Routes config of BPQ32,
                    > lets check it again before you will switch to linux-node?
                    >
                    > 73, Sergej

                  • bolt637
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 5, 2011
                      I run FBB and BPQ and winmor and was very interested in
                      using my FBB with winmor to forward skipnet bulletin
                      traffic. I sent hank an e-mail saying I would like to join
                      them on 14.112. Instead of setting me up for forwarding
                      he replied that he didn't see my bbs on 14.112 and then ended
                      the conversation.

                      *Shrug*

                      Steven - N1OHX

                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Dave Webb <druliefw@...> wrote:

                      > I understand Hank, I have the same problem with my MARS bbs so I did the
                      > same.
                      > Thanks for testing with me.
                      > 73
                      > Dave
                      > WB2HVF
                    • Hank Oredson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 5, 2011
                        Never did hear any signal from you ...

                        I run FBB and BPQ and winmor and was very interested in
                        using my FBB with winmor to forward skipnet bulletin
                        traffic. I sent hank an e-mail saying I would like to join
                        them on 14.112. Instead of setting me up for forwarding
                        he replied that he didn't see my bbs on 14.112 and then ended
                        the conversation.

                        *Shrug*

                        Steven - N1OHX

                        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Dave Webb <druliefw@...> wrote:

                        > I understand Hank, I have the same problem with my MARS bbs so I did the
                        > same.
                        > Thanks for testing with me.
                        > 73
                        > Dave
                        > WB2HVF

                      • Jerry
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 5, 2011

                          Steven…  Want to set up with me on Winmor BBS forwarding on 14.112? if so let me know….

                          I think Hank has shutdown his WINMOR ….

                          73 jerry

                          812-583-0445

                          I run FBB and BPQ and winmor and was very interested in
                          using my FBB with winmor to forward skipnet bulletin
                          traffic. I sent hank an e-mail saying I would like to join
                          them on 14.112. Instead of setting me up for forwarding
                          he replied that he didn't see my bbs on 14.112 and then ended
                          the conversation.

                          *Shrug*

                          Steven - N1OHX

                          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Dave Webb <druliefw@...> wrote:

                          > I understand Hank, I have the same problem with my MARS bbs so I did the
                          > same.
                          > Thanks for testing with me.
                          > 73
                          > Dave
                          > WB2HVF

                        • bolt637
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 7, 2011
                            That would be great jerry. Using FBB16 for winmor
                            is the same as setting up for airmail. I have reached your
                            RMS port on 14.112 quite a few times. the high solar
                            flux we have been having (FINALLY!) sure has helped :-).

                            You might want to check your reverse forward file for me though,
                            your bbs is connecting out to me on 30 meters
                            like it has traffic, but when I connect out to you
                            I get FQ, no traffic.

                            > Steven. Want to set up with me on Winmor BBS forwarding on 14.112? if so
                            > let me know..
                            >
                            > I think Hank has shutdown his WINMOR ..
                            >
                            > 73 jerry
                            >
                            > 812-583-0445

                          • Jerry
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 7, 2011

                              Hi Steven.,. Ok I will look at it…  Ok It says I have 4 messages for u… Not  sure why you would get FQ…..

                              73 jerry

                              That would be great jerry. Using FBB16 for winmor
                              is the same as setting up for airmail. I have reached your
                              RMS port on 14.112 quite a few times. the high solar
                              flux we have been having (FINALLY!) sure has helped :-).

                              You might want to check your reverse forward file for me though,
                              your bbs is connecting out to me on 30 meters
                              like it has traffic, but when I connect out to you
                              I get FQ, no traffic.

                              > Steven. Want to set up with me on Winmor BBS forwarding on 14.112? if so
                              > let me know..
                              >
                              > I think Hank has shutdown his WINMOR ..
                              >
                              > 73 jerry
                              >
                              > 812-583-0445

                            • marc_pd4u
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 8, 2011
                                If I change all my AX/UDP to quality 1 the problem still occurs: XNET nodes taking over routing path (even when that routing path is first to another XNET node and then to me, which is obviously not a shorter/faster path).

                                So it is the inter-operation between XNET and BPQ that causes the incorrect routing problem, and causes nodews to loose their alias in the nodes list.

                                I will n ow try quality 255 to all BPQ nodes, and quality 1 to all XNET nodes. But I guess not only my settings are a factor, but also the setting of XNET nodes (i.e. both settings work interdependent)??

                                Marc