Re: routing incorrect

  • marc_pd4u
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011

      > Marc,
      >
      > XNET stations generate stupidly high quality values for AX/UDP NETROM
      > connections. This is due to the algorithm used to convert INP3 Round Trip
      > times to NETROM qualities - it is fine for radio links with an RTT of
      > several seconds, but gives values over 250 for subsecond links.
      >
      > The best solution is to run INP3 on all links from BPQ32 to XNET, and other
      > software that insists on using INP3. BPQ32 will then use the INP3 round trip
      > times, and ignore the spurious NETROM qualities.
      >
      > To enable INP3, you need to lock a route to the staion, with the quality set
      > very low (but not zero) and the INP3 Flag Set, eg
      >
      > PI1YSM-10,1,P,0,0,0,1 where P is the AXIP port number.

      For all AX/UDP links I use INP3. And the XNet stations are using INP3 as well. But I am not sure if sergej UT1HZM uses INP3. I will inform him.

      But all my INP3 links are set to 255. So better set that to 1?

      Marc
    • marc_pd4u
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
        Sergej,

        I see you also use a quality value of 255. Let us both set that to 1 in our links. Hope that helps.

        And the link to you works most of the time, untill the routing is somehow set via PI1YSM (and via PI1CDR and VE2PKT). Then the connection fails. But when I use "Clear nodes and reread config" then the link between us is OK again.

        So... I assume it is not so much due to us, but due to the XNet Nodes that take over the routing. Though eventually the routing path is via PI8APE-12 and then further to you. This is ridiculous of course. PI1YSM should go directly to me and then to you, and not first via PI1CDR and VE2PKT (both XNet nodes).

        marc

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Sergej" <rttyman@...> wrote:

        > Hello Marc, Rod and group.
        >
        > Its happened because my node (ut1hzm-5) have some problem to link with VK2DOT-1
        > BPQ32. I see VK2DOT's nodes broadcasts, his node too see my broadcast,
        > but nodes can't make connection to route NETROM data between peers,
        > like Connect request packets drops somewhere...
        >
        > Not think its a firewall problem, at least on my side...
        > Interesting that I can connect no problem to VK2DOT-1 manually
        > via AXUDP port 11 with my ssid -2 - Terminal callsign. (node is -5).
        > I'm even tried temporary set-up SSID-2 to node - and Link worked with VK2DOT OK.
        >

        > My setup for VK2DOT-1 is:
        >
        > AXUDP port config:
        >
        > MAP VK2DOT-1 220.245.50.125 UDP 10093 B
        >
        > ROUTES:
        > VK2DOT-1,255,11,3,5,236,0
        >
        > If we will not found solution, I'll stop broadcasts to VK2DOT to not create
        > a dead route...
        >
        > 73, Sergej
        > ut1hzm
        > bpq32 node SSID -5

      • marc_pd4u
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
          Hank,

          maybe the fact that you do not appear in the RMS Express channels list is the main reason for low traffic. But the same here: about 3-5 connects a day.

          SRY to see that you and Andy K3UK-5 go offline.

          Marc, PD4U/PI8APE

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Oredson" <w0rli@...> wrote:

          > Effective today, N0JAL will be available on Winmor
          > only by request. The amount of traffic has been far
          > to small to be worth keeping the station on air.

        • Robert Belize
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
            Hank, If! u would live in Belize, you would continue having it on all time. Humidity kills..I run ham equipment 24/7. I could use solar to be more green...But I keep them inside in case of an emergency...
            73' Robert V31AE

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
              John,

              Set the quality value low for all INP3 links (i.e.also to other BPQ stations like UT1HZM) or merely to XNet stations?

              Marc

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                Marc,

                Setting INP3 links to 255 won't help. You need to set to 1 (or in fact anything below MINQUAL) so that the NETROM broadcasts from the INP3 nodes are ignored.

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                  BPQ won't generate high quailites so it doesn't really matter. The better way is to stop BPQ32 from sending NODES to other BPQ32 INP3 stations (by leaving the B off the MAP statement), But generally I wouldn't use INP3 between BPQ nodes. The exception may be if you have only a small number of BPQ nodes in a mainly XNET network.

                  Set the quality value low for all INP3 links (i.e.also to other BPQ stations like UT1HZM) or merely to XNet stations?

                  Marc

                  > Marc,

                  XNET stations generate stupidly high quality values for AX/UDP NETROM

                  connections. This is due to the algorithm used to convert INP3 Round Trip
                  > times to NETROM qualities - it is fine for radio links with an RTT
                  of
                  > several seconds, but gives values over 250 for subsecond
                  links.

                  > The best solution is to run INP3 on all links from BPQ32
                  to XNET, and other
                  > software that insists on using INP3. BPQ32 will then
                  use the INP3 round trip
                  > times, and ignore the spurious NETROM
                  qualities.

                  > To enable INP3, you need to lock a route to the
                  staion, with the quality set
                  > very low (but not zero) and the INP3 Flag
                  Set, eg

                  > PI1YSM-10,1,P,0,0,0,1 where P is the AXIP port
                  number.

                  [BPQ32] routing incorrect

                  > Hi
                  all,

                  > I have an AX/UDP link to UT1HZM-5. And UT1HZM-5 only has
                  AX/UDP links to me
                  > and VK2DOT. But I have several links to XNet servers:
                  PI1YSM-10 and VE2PKT.

                  > Now what happens: after a while I can't
                  connect to UT1HZM-5 anymore,
                  > although he is in my routin list ánd is
                  active, because the routing is
                  > directed to PI1YSM-10 (i.e. a XNet
                  station). When i connect to PI1YSM-10 and
                  > give the command "n ut1hzm-5"
                  then PI1YSM responds:

                  :
                  > route: PI1YSM-10 PI8APE-12 UT1HZM-5 PI8APE-12 PI1YSM-10*
                  >
                  > When I choose "Clear nodes and reread config" all is FB again. But then
                  it
                  > is necessary to restart my node every 24h or so...

                  Marc, PD4U/PI8APE

                  href="http://pd4u.dyndns.org">http://pd4u.dyndns.org

                  Marc

                • marc_pd4u
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                    John,

                    Probably related to this, since they seem to occur simultaniously. I often notice that some stations are missing their alias in the nodeslist. Like for instance at the moment of writing XnYSM:PI1YSM-10 is listed as merely PI1YSM-10 on Sergej's UT1HZM-5's nodeslist. Some other stations are missing their alias too.

                    When I see this I can be sure that the link to Sergej fails and that some XNet servers have "taken over" the routing path. As said: restarting the node solves this connectivity problem and missing alias problem. And the common denominator in both problems is XNet node...

                    One last remark. I had links to Xnet nodes (VE2PKT and PI1DXC) and then this problem never occurred. It started when I openend an AX/UDP link to PI1YSM-10 that is a XNet node. Not necessarily putting the blame there, nor on XNet nodes, but on the inter operation between BPQ and (some) XNet nodes.

                    Marc

                    > Marc,
                    >
                    > XNET stations generate stupidly high quality values for AX/UDP NETROM
                    > connections. This is due to the algorithm used to convert INP3 Round Trip
                    > times to NETROM qualities - it is fine for radio links with an RTT of
                    > several seconds, but gives values over 250 for subsecond links.
                    >
                    > The best solution is to run INP3 on all links from BPQ32 to XNET, and other
                    > software that insists on using INP3. BPQ32 will then use the INP3 round trip
                    > times, and ignore the spurious NETROM qualities.
                    >
                    > To enable INP3, you need to lock a route to the staion, with the quality set
                    > very low (but not zero) and the INP3 Flag Set, eg
                    >
                    > PI1YSM-10,1,P,0,0,0,1 where P is the AXIP port number.

                  • marc_pd4u
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                      John,

                      4 out of 7 AX/UDP links are to BPQ nodes. But I have never experienced problems before when I had only 2 links: 1 to PI1DZC (XNet) and 1 to PI1SNK (BPQ). Both using INP3. So INP3 works fine as far as I can see.

                      I have set all links, whether to BPQ or XNet nodes to 1. See what happens.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                        Marc,

                        A couple of possibilites.

                        Some XNET nodes sometimes send routing updates without an Alias.

                        Or, if you get connect request from a node that isn't in your nodes list, it wll be added, but the alias isn't known.

                        73,

                        Probably related to this, since they seem to occur simultaniously. I often notice that some stations are missing their alias in the nodeslist. Like for instance at the moment of writing XnYSM:PI1YSM-10 is listed as merely PI1YSM-10 on Sergej's UT1HZM-5's nodeslist. Some other stations are missing their alias too.

                        When I see this I can be sure that the link to Sergej fails and that some XNet servers have "taken over" the routing path. As said: restarting the node solves this connectivity problem and missing alias problem. And the common denominator in both problems is XNet node...

                        One last remark. I had links to Xnet nodes (VE2PKT and PI1DXC) and then this problem never occurred. It started when I openend an AX/UDP link to PI1YSM-10 that is a XNet node. Not necessarily putting the blame there, nor on XNet nodes, but on the inter operation between BPQ and (some) XNet nodes.

                        Marc

                        > Marc,

                        XNET stations generate stupidly high quality values for AX/UDP NETROM

                        connections. This is due to the algorithm used to convert INP3 Round Trip
                        > times to NETROM qualities - it is fine for radio links with an RTT
                        of
                        > several seconds, but gives values over 250 for subsecond
                        links.

                        > The best solution is to run INP3 on all links from BPQ32
                        to XNET, and other
                        > software that insists on using INP3. BPQ32 will then
                        use the INP3 round trip
                        > times, and ignore the spurious NETROM
                        qualities.

                        > To enable INP3, you need to lock a route to the
                        staion, with the quality set
                        > very low (but not zero) and the INP3 Flag
                        Set, eg

                        > PI1YSM-10,1,P,0,0,0,1 where P is the AXIP port
                        number.

                        [BPQ32] routing incorrect

                        > Hi
                        all,

                        > I have an AX/UDP link to UT1HZM-5. And UT1HZM-5 only has
                        AX/UDP links to me
                        > and VK2DOT. But I have several links to XNet servers:
                        PI1YSM-10 and VE2PKT.

                        > Now what happens: after a while I can't
                        connect to UT1HZM-5 anymore,
                        > although he is in my routin list ánd is
                        active, because the routing is
                        > directed to PI1YSM-10 (i.e. a XNet
                        station). When i connect to PI1YSM-10 and
                        > give the command "n ut1hzm-5"
                        then PI1YSM responds:

                        :
                        > route: PI1YSM-10 PI8APE-12 UT1HZM-5 PI8APE-12 PI1YSM-10*
                        >
                        > When I choose "Clear nodes and reread config" all is FB again. But then
                        it
                        > is necessary to restart my node every 24h or so...

                        Marc, PD4U/PI8APE

                        href="http://pd4u.dyndns.org">http://pd4u.dyndns.org

                        Marc

                      • W6IDS
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                          Let me echo the sentiments also.  You two will be missed.
                          Lots of expertise.

                          Howard W6IDS
                          Richmond, IN EM79NV
                          maybe the fact that you do not appear in the RMS Express channels list is the main reason for low traffic. But the same here: about 3-5 connects a day.

                          SRY to see that you and Andy K3UK-5 go offline.

                          Marc, PD4U/PI8APE

                          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Oredson" <w0rli@...> wrote:

                          > Effective today, N0JAL will be available on Winmor
                          > only by request. The amount of traffic has been far
                          > to small to be worth keeping the station on air.

                        • Sergej
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                            Marc, I already has quality =1 for our INP3 link.

                            I'm not expert but think INP3 should be better for internet links
                            as it not send broadcasts, just send nodes data inside connected links.

                            It should be better to prevent cases like with link to VK2DOT problem
                            (both nodes gets broadcasts, but can't make connection for unknown reason)

                            P.S. Rod, vk2dot, pse send me by privat reply your AXUDP and Routes config of BPQ32,
                            lets check it again before you will switch to linux-node?

                            73, Sergej
                          • Dave Webb
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                              I understand Hank, I have the same problem with my MARS bbs so I did the same.
                              Thanks for testing with me.
                              73
                              Dave
                              WB2HVF

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 1, 2011
                                As said: not blaming the XNet Nodes, nor any station in particular, because it might be me that caused the problem vebause I had defined the quality of the AX/UDP link at 255. I have now set it to 1.

                                73 de Marc, PD4U

                                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Sergej" <rttyman@...> wrote:

                                > Marc, I already has quality =1 for our INP3 link.
                                >
                                > I'm not expert but think INP3 should be better for internet links
                                > as it not send broadcasts, just send nodes data inside connected links.
                                >
                                > It should be better to prevent cases like with link to VK2DOT problem
                                > (both nodes gets broadcasts, but can't make connection for unknown reason)
                                >

                                > P.S. Rod, vk2dot, pse send me by privat reply your AXUDP and Routes config of BPQ32,
                                > lets check it again before you will switch to linux-node?
                                >
                                > 73, Sergej

                              • bolt637
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 5, 2011
                                  I run FBB and BPQ and winmor and was very interested in
                                  using my FBB with winmor to forward skipnet bulletin
                                  traffic. I sent hank an e-mail saying I would like to join
                                  them on 14.112. Instead of setting me up for forwarding
                                  he replied that he didn't see my bbs on 14.112 and then ended
                                  the conversation.

                                  *Shrug*

                                  Steven - N1OHX

                                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Dave Webb <druliefw@...> wrote:

                                  > I understand Hank, I have the same problem with my MARS bbs so I did the
                                  > same.
                                  > Thanks for testing with me.
                                  > 73
                                  > Dave
                                  > WB2HVF
                                • Hank Oredson
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 5, 2011
                                    Never did hear any signal from you ...

                                    I run FBB and BPQ and winmor and was very interested in
                                    using my FBB with winmor to forward skipnet bulletin
                                    traffic. I sent hank an e-mail saying I would like to join
                                    them on 14.112. Instead of setting me up for forwarding
                                    he replied that he didn't see my bbs on 14.112 and then ended
                                    the conversation.

                                    *Shrug*

                                    Steven - N1OHX

                                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Dave Webb <druliefw@...> wrote:

                                    > I understand Hank, I have the same problem with my MARS bbs so I did the
                                    > same.
                                    > Thanks for testing with me.
                                    > 73
                                    > Dave
                                    > WB2HVF

                                  • Jerry
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 5, 2011

                                      Steven…  Want to set up with me on Winmor BBS forwarding on 14.112? if so let me know….

                                      I think Hank has shutdown his WINMOR ….

                                      73 jerry

                                      812-583-0445

                                      I run FBB and BPQ and winmor and was very interested in
                                      using my FBB with winmor to forward skipnet bulletin
                                      traffic. I sent hank an e-mail saying I would like to join
                                      them on 14.112. Instead of setting me up for forwarding
                                      he replied that he didn't see my bbs on 14.112 and then ended
                                      the conversation.

                                      *Shrug*

                                      Steven - N1OHX

                                      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Dave Webb <druliefw@...> wrote:

                                      > I understand Hank, I have the same problem with my MARS bbs so I did the
                                      > same.
                                      > Thanks for testing with me.
                                      > 73
                                      > Dave
                                      > WB2HVF

                                    • bolt637
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 7, 2011
                                        That would be great jerry. Using FBB16 for winmor
                                        is the same as setting up for airmail. I have reached your
                                        RMS port on 14.112 quite a few times. the high solar
                                        flux we have been having (FINALLY!) sure has helped :-).

                                        You might want to check your reverse forward file for me though,
                                        your bbs is connecting out to me on 30 meters
                                        like it has traffic, but when I connect out to you
                                        I get FQ, no traffic.

                                        > Steven. Want to set up with me on Winmor BBS forwarding on 14.112? if so
                                        > let me know..
                                        >
                                        > I think Hank has shutdown his WINMOR ..
                                        >
                                        > 73 jerry
                                        >
                                        > 812-583-0445

                                      • Jerry
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 7, 2011

                                          Hi Steven.,. Ok I will look at it…  Ok It says I have 4 messages for u… Not  sure why you would get FQ…..

                                          73 jerry

                                          That would be great jerry. Using FBB16 for winmor
                                          is the same as setting up for airmail. I have reached your
                                          RMS port on 14.112 quite a few times. the high solar
                                          flux we have been having (FINALLY!) sure has helped :-).

                                          You might want to check your reverse forward file for me though,
                                          your bbs is connecting out to me on 30 meters
                                          like it has traffic, but when I connect out to you
                                          I get FQ, no traffic.

                                          > Steven. Want to set up with me on Winmor BBS forwarding on 14.112? if so
                                          > let me know..
                                          >
                                          > I think Hank has shutdown his WINMOR ..
                                          >
                                          > 73 jerry
                                          >
                                          > 812-583-0445

                                        • marc_pd4u
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 8, 2011
                                            If I change all my AX/UDP to quality 1 the problem still occurs: XNET nodes taking over routing path (even when that routing path is first to another XNET node and then to me, which is obviously not a shorter/faster path).

                                            So it is the inter-operation between XNET and BPQ that causes the incorrect routing problem, and causes nodews to loose their alias in the nodes list.

                                            I will n ow try quality 255 to all BPQ nodes, and quality 1 to all XNET nodes. But I guess not only my settings are a factor, but also the setting of XNET nodes (i.e. both settings work interdependent)??

                                            Marc