Newbie Program Usage

  • n3xpd
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
      Hello to the group, I hope my questions are not to off topic.

      Name here is Mike Warner.
      Amateur call is N3XPD.

      I have recently become sysop of the local clubs packet system (nobody
      else wanted it).
      There was a broken flexnet/fbb system running with no network traffic
      and no local usage. I shut that down and decided to start over. The
      equipment from this old system is still on site and available for use.
      There are 3 Tiny2 TNC's(6pack?), a DOS-PC, and radio equipment for 2M
      and 1.25M.

      Right now the operating system consists of a KPC-3+, a VHF transceiver
      and antenna, running standalone with only the KPC3's BBS and KA-Node.

      I'm pretty new to all of this and have no previous sysop experience.
      I am trying to decide on how to procede in building the system. Right
      now I'm thinking that I want to end up with the FBB BBS and some form
      of networking. So with some searching I found this group.

      Is BPQ32 something that I should be considering? At this point I don't
      even know what it does. Or, should I be looking at something else (not
      in beta) that has been tried and proven?

      On another group I heard about a MYSYS BBS, any comments? I understand
      that it is not longer in development and I was hoping to find
      something more current. But if the MYSYS is fairly easy to set up, I'm
      thinking that it may be a good place to start.

      Or, can someone point me in the right direction for more info on
      setting up a club type packet system? Something like "Amateur Packet
      Radio Sysoping for the Beginner" would be nice.
      I haven't found any active discussions on FBB or other BBS's.

      Thanks,
      Mike, N3XPD
    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
        Mike

        If you will be running DOS, then the new BPQ32, which requires Windows,
        is not for you. Instead you would want to use bpq408a.zip which you can
        find in the files section:

        One idea I would have for you, if you want to provide a local outlet for
        dx spots by packet radio, is to look at
        http://www.dxspots.com/BPQ32_Remote_ReadMe_v1r1.htm

        I have a number of such remote outlets. The software at that site (it's
        my site: DXSpots.com) is for an earlier pre-beta version of BPQ32,
        however the current beta version could easily be used. I do need to
        update that site, but I was not planning to do so until the beta period
        for the new BPQ32 is completed.

        Ron, N5IN

        n3xpd wrote:
        > Hello to the group, I hope my questions are not to off topic.
        >
        > Name here is Mike Warner.
        > Amateur call is N3XPD.
        >
        > I have recently become sysop of the local clubs packet system (nobody
        > else wanted it).
        > There was a broken flexnet/fbb system running with no network traffic
        > and no local usage. I shut that down and decided to start over. The
        > equipment from this old system is still on site and available for use.
        > There are 3 Tiny2 TNC's(6pack?), a DOS-PC, and radio equipment for 2M
        > and 1.25M.
        >
        > Right now the operating system consists of a KPC-3+, a VHF transceiver
        > and antenna, running standalone with only the KPC3's BBS and KA-Node.
        >
        > I'm pretty new to all of this and have no previous sysop experience.
        > I am trying to decide on how to procede in building the system. Right
        > now I'm thinking that I want to end up with the FBB BBS and some form
        > of networking. So with some searching I found this group.
        >
        > Is BPQ32 something that I should be considering? At this point I don't
        > even know what it does. Or, should I be looking at something else (not
        > in beta) that has been tried and proven?
        >
        > On another group I heard about a MYSYS BBS, any comments? I understand
        > that it is not longer in development and I was hoping to find
        > something more current. But if the MYSYS is fairly easy to set up, I'm
        > thinking that it may be a good place to start.
        >
        > Or, can someone point me in the right direction for more info on
        > setting up a club type packet system? Something like "Amateur Packet
        > Radio Sysoping for the Beginner" would be nice.
        > I haven't found any active discussions on FBB or other BBS's.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mike, N3XPD

        > Ham radio
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=ehg1b2E69_ligDQOR2McHg>
        > John wiseman
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=John+wiseman&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=YImh4TNHWal9Dg8Nizymeg>
        > Craft hobby
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=xdqjTua39NcrimKxm8pVcg>
        >
        > Hobby and craft supply
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=3ITu7QOeTQqLmX3p-8NJEw>
        > Icom ham radio
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Icom+ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&w2=John+wiseman&w3=Craft+hobby&w4=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w5=Icom+ham+radio&c=5&s=98&.sig=RUP7Ssm9TeHIgMCSYOU_Kg>

      • dshults
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
          Mike,
          As Ron suggested, BPQ408a is the node software you want, unless
          you are also thinking of maintaining a full blown BBS. I might
          suggest Hanks SNOS. It provides full netrom capability, handles
          your KPC-3 just fine in kiss mode, supports all BBS/message
          handling capability and places it all in a TCP/IP wrapper if need
          be. Sits on a house ethernet network for easy sysop and message
          support from any Windows machine with a news reader and/or e-mail
          client. Hanks program has officially been in beta for over 6 years
          (although it has matured many times), but it recently has gone to
          a "released" version. Lots of bells and whistles. Many configuration
          examples are also provided. For low speed and above pentium
          machines running DOS 6.22.

          Grab the SNOS Version 1.2R Installer here:
          http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli/
          Features list (may need update?):
          http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli/nosdoc/about.htm

          ... Duane N7QDN

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "n3xpd" <n3xpd@y...> wrote:

          > Hello to the group, I hope my questions are not to off topic.
          >
          > Name here is Mike Warner.
          > Amateur call is N3XPD.
          >
          > I have recently become sysop of the local clubs packet system
          (nobody
          > else wanted it).
          > There was a broken flexnet/fbb system running with no network
          traffic
          > and no local usage. I shut that down and decided to start over. The
          > equipment from this old system is still on site and available for
          use.
          > There are 3 Tiny2 TNC's(6pack?), a DOS-PC, and radio equipment for
          2M
          > and 1.25M.
          >
          > Right now the operating system consists of a KPC-3+, a VHF
          transceiver
          > and antenna, running standalone with only the KPC3's BBS and KA-
          Node.

          > I'm pretty new to all of this and have no previous sysop
          experience.
          > I am trying to decide on how to procede in building the system.
          Right
          > now I'm thinking that I want to end up with the FBB BBS and some
          form
          > of networking. So with some searching I found this group.
          >
          > Is BPQ32 something that I should be considering? At this point I
          don't
          > even know what it does. Or, should I be looking at something else
          (not
          > in beta) that has been tried and proven?
          >
          > On another group I heard about a MYSYS BBS, any comments? I
          understand
          > that it is not longer in development and I was hoping to find
          > something more current. But if the MYSYS is fairly easy to set up,
          I'm
          > thinking that it may be a good place to start.
          >
          > Or, can someone point me in the right direction for more info on
          > setting up a club type packet system? Something like "Amateur
          Packet
          > Radio Sysoping for the Beginner" would be nice.
          > I haven't found any active discussions on FBB or other BBS's.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mike, N3XPD

        • n3xpd
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
            Thanks Ron,
            I obviously have a lot to learn but I think it should be interesting.

            Mike,
            N3XPD

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ron Stordahl <ron.stordahl@d...> wrote:

            > Mike
            >
            > If you will be running DOS, then the new BPQ32, which requires Windows,
            > is not for you. Instead you would want to use bpq408a.zip which you
            can
            > find in the files section:
            >
            > One idea I would have for you, if you want to provide a local outlet
            for
            > dx spots by packet radio, is to look at
            > http://www.dxspots.com/BPQ32_Remote_ReadMe_v1r1.htm
            >
            > I have a number of such remote outlets. The software at that site
            (it's
            > my site: DXSpots.com) is for an earlier pre-beta version of BPQ32,
            > however the current beta version could easily be used. I do need to
            > update that site, but I was not planning to do so until the beta period
            > for the new BPQ32 is completed.
            >
            > Ron, N5IN
            >

            > n3xpd wrote:
            > > Hello to the group, I hope my questions are not to off topic.
            > >
            > > Name here is Mike Warner.
            > > Amateur call is N3XPD.
            > >
            > > I have recently become sysop of the local clubs packet system (nobody
            > > else wanted it).
            > > There was a broken flexnet/fbb system running with no network traffic
            > > and no local usage. I shut that down and decided to start over. The
            > > equipment from this old system is still on site and available for use.
            > > There are 3 Tiny2 TNC's(6pack?), a DOS-PC, and radio equipment for 2M
            > > and 1.25M.
            > >
            > > Right now the operating system consists of a KPC-3+, a VHF transceiver
            > > and antenna, running standalone with only the KPC3's BBS and KA-Node.
            > >
            > > I'm pretty new to all of this and have no previous sysop experience.
            > > I am trying to decide on how to procede in building the system. Right
            > > now I'm thinking that I want to end up with the FBB BBS and some form
            > > of networking. So with some searching I found this group.
            > >
            > > Is BPQ32 something that I should be considering? At this point I don't
            > > even know what it does. Or, should I be looking at something else (not
            > > in beta) that has been tried and proven?
            > >
            > > On another group I heard about a MYSYS BBS, any comments? I understand
            > > that it is not longer in development and I was hoping to find
            > > something more current. But if the MYSYS is fairly easy to set up, I'm
            > > thinking that it may be a good place to start.
            > >
            > > Or, can someone point me in the right direction for more info on
            > > setting up a club type packet system? Something like "Amateur Packet
            > > Radio Sysoping for the Beginner" would be nice.
            > > I haven't found any active discussions on FBB or other BBS's.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Mike, N3XPD

            > > Ham radio

            > > John wiseman

            > > Craft hobby

            > > Hobby and craft supply

            > > Icom ham radio

          • n3xpd
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
              Duane,
              Thank you much for the reply.
              I'm a little uncertain about what you mean by a "full blown BBS".
              I guess that means something like FBB as compared to the KPC-3's built
              in BBS. I'll look into the SNOS though and see if it looks like
              something that I could manage.

              73
              Mike, N3XPD